Advice please regarding pregnant cat.

jessritchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are just like us.. she will bleed as she tries to push and she was given the oxytocin shot so she may have bled from that. Just try to stay calm and nature will take it's course. I sit on my living room floor and per my very prego kitty to ease her nerves a little. I was terrified when I give birth the first time so imagine how they feel when they can't tell us how they feel..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good then. I'm even more nervous now than before. She's upstairs lying under my eldest sons bed so I've put our baby monitor into the room so I can keep an eye on her without disturbing her until things really pick up.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she settling down at all yet?
She's only laying still for about 5-10 minutes then she's getting up and licking herself then she settles back down.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is normal too!

Are you seeing contractions in her belly yet?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's contraction, her stomach goes hard and it feels like there's a ball/knot in her stomach which is really hard then it goes all soft after a few seconds then after a little while it happens again. It's happened 3 times so far that I've noticed. Not sure if that's contractions though

flow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck ! Im sure she will do fine ! I would try to keep her to one room incase she gets somewhere you can't see or get to her

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is contractions. Probably very uncomfortable for her. They should get stronger and closer until she is ready to push.

jessritchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you watch any of the you tube videos on cat birthing?it helped me so I can see what it looks like when they're trying to push and to see all of the different behaviors

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's in my eldest sons room and I've closed the door, the only places she can go is under the bed which I can get to her, on the bed or in her next as his room is the smallest of them all. I hadn't thought of YouTube so I will have a look on there just now and try and see if I can prepare myself. I have the video type baby monitor which moves around when it senses movements so I'm keeping an eye on her that way for now incase she wants privacy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, one room is good for now.

Did you put food, water, and her litter box in there?

(And your box of supplies)

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I've put all her stuff in with her and I've put the box of supplies in my sons wardrobe so I can get them when needed. She seems more comfortable in that room as it's the darkest also so I think she should be good in there

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still no signs, the contractions aren't getting any stronger or any more frequent and she's still laying under the bed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vet said an hour or two, so we'll see if it picks up any. Believe it or not, oxytocin does not always work.

Did the vet say to check in later?

Last edited:

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He said he would call me before they close for the night to see how things were and to advise me on what to do if still no signs. I really hope it works cos I don't have the money for the out of hours vets as they wont see your pet unless you pay £150 upfront when you go where as I have a payment plan with my own vet that comes out by standing order when needs be and the insurance only covers treatment fees not the initial consultation fee

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good your vet will check in with you at day's end. Let's hope that an after hours vet will not be needed.

If this does not work, he'll probably want her back in the morning for the surgery, so you don't have to go through the weekend.

Your vet sounds very kind to see you and take regular payments over time!

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's good your vet will check in with you at day's end. Let's hope that an after hours vet will not be needed.

If this does not work, he'll probably want her back in the morning for the surgery, so you don't have to go through the weekend.

Your vet sounds very kind to see you and take regular payments over time!
He really is a great vet.
She's just woke up for some food and then lay back down, she had a little more of the discharge when she stood up but she licked it off the floor this time.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your vet sounds like he cares and I agree that it was best to try the shot first. I was going to say you should keep her in one room, but you've already done so. Fingers crossed that her labor picks up!