1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should give it a few months after she is spayed and kittens are gone. When Hera realizes that Buttons is not going anywhere, she may learn to live with her. It takes time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are doing good, thought mom moved them everywhere around the room last night while I was sleeping, and I have the flu, so I have to move so many things around that I haven't moved back since it took all of my energy to find them all in the first place!

It's pretty hot in my apartment, so I moved her and the kittens to the bathroom. I have a wall unit AC (that doesn't work well), so I have to leave the bedroom door open to cool down the apartment which I can't do, and the bedroom is too hot for kittens. So they are all snuggled on towels and blankets in the bathtub! The tile keeps it cool enough, but the KY humidity and heat doesn't let it get cold. Mom wasn't too happy at fist, but she's alright now.

I'm worried about them getting fed enough, since I'm so sick, pretty severely. It's pretty hard to get up let alone handle them. So I have some friends coming over to help out.

Three more kittens are starting to open their eyes, precious little things :)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry you are feeling so sick.  Please make sure your friends know the proper way to feed those kittens so as to prevent any aspiration  onto their little lungs of  formula.   I am sure you are at least able to "supervise" the feeding sessions.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, luckily my friend has hand raised a puppy so she isn't completely inexperienced! I'll be supervising for sure. It's nice to have some helping hands while I try to feel better.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I've scheduled mamas spay date for the 7th of July, the kittens will be seven and a half weeks old then. It's the only available date as they shelters will take cats/dogs to the SPCA for spay/neuter on certain dates depending on where you live, so my options are limited (I can't take the bus for four plus hours with her to get her to the actual clinic, so the transport system is the best option) to either the 7th of July, or the 3rd of August, and we will be in the middle of moving then, so it isn't an option.

They should all be weened by then anyways, and if a few aren't I am able to feed them.

All of the kittens have opened their eyes! Some fully, some only partially. So sweet!

Sleepy babies

Skunk baby girl

werewolf looking baby girl

sweet baby boy

vicious baby boy

fat tabby boy

sassy baby girl 

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Question and daily update!

Question: When I rehome the kittens, I was thinking about having the adopters (I still haven't found homes for four, only the ones myself and my friend are keeping) sign a contract. What steps do I need to take, do I have to notarize it? Or would them filling out and signing this:  http://www.alleycat.org/document.doc?id=34  work? I ask because if for some reason I have to get a kitten back from a bad situation (which hopefully won't happen to begin with) I want to make sure that this would hold up in court if it came to it. I've never done this before and since I'm not a rescue or breeder I was wondering what options and power I have of it.

I'd also like some tips on finding homes for them. There are weeks to go of course, and I have several people saying "maybe" they want one, I just don't want to have to move all 10 cats when I move from my apartment into a house this August. It would be stressful for everyone. Especially mama. It's so easy to get a free kitten where I live, there is an abundance everywhere I'm sure. Mine will be  up to date on shots, and with a clean bill of health, but I think all the questions and everything I need to know from potential adopters might be scaring them off a bit. I'm not asking anything different than what a rescue would ask. Iit probably doesn't help I'm generally profiled as a bad person by the general public for dying my hair blue, so I'm not quite taken as seriously! (I've been trying to remove this stinking blue hair for months without bleaching it but to no avail)

Update on the babies, they are all gaining very well except the tiniest runt, who is still within range. She's just slower at growing!  They are all in the bathtub, which is slightly inconvenient as it's my only bathroom. I'm going to move them into a cat carrier tonight so my boyfriend and I can take showers. I'll be sure to dry out the tub completely before moving them back in! 

Mama and Hera got into another fight, I let Mama out to explore the new cat tree I bought (6ft tall!) and Hera drew blood on her neck scruff between the shoulders. It was sudden and I pulled them apart as soon as I could. I never thought of Hera as the aggressive type, but she is a territorial female I assume. I'm holding out hope that she will improve her behavior.  

I'm keeping them completely separate from now on unless I have Hera on a harness and leash. After Mama has been fixed I'll start introducing them again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is a TCS article about re-homing that may help:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/kittens-to-good-homes

I like your contract, except for #8. I think it is your responsibility to forward YOUR new address and/or phone number to the adopters should they change.

Having it notarized makes it more likely to stand up in court.

Do you plan to charge a fee for the kittens?

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks @sarthur2   And yes, I would 100% inform people that if my number changes or address.

I plan on charging $70-80 per kitten, as the low cost clinic per kitten will still be $75 if I don't get them chipped (which I probably will, i'm just going broke over these kittens), and I think asking for whatever the vaccines cost me is fair, it's not like I'm making any sort of profit, it's a big loss financially for me. They are worth it though, they deserve good health.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2  It covers a vaccine for FIV,  FRV, FCV, distemper,  and dewormer. As well as needed boosters a few weeks later. Microchip is an additional $20

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So everything but the spay/neuter? And how much is that at the clinic?

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spay and neuter is $20 at the clinic, including 3 days worth of pain meds. They are changing policies sometime in the next few months to start fixing cats at 8 weeks old or 2lbs, it's 4lbs currently with no age requirement, I'm not sure when it is going into effect but hopefully before the kittens are to be rehomed. If it's in effect by the time they are 8 weeks I will be doing that too. In which case I may just have to ask a bit more for the kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree it would be best to spay/neuter the kittens before they are re-homed. My clinic is 2 pounds/8 weeks. If so, charge more, and of course, provide adoptees with photocopies of the paperwork indicating what was done. I hope your clinic changes their policy in time. Maybe you can talk to them about it.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are making great progress! Some have been able to support their own heads for a few days, but all of them are able now. Some are beginning to do the "walk" that is inbetween the crawl they were doing to get to a nipple at newborn age, and a walk.Two kittens have discovered their purrs! Tiny little motor boats. :)All eyes are open and they have been for a few days, ears are starting to stand up for a few kittens. Ive seen them scratch an ear, or a neck itch, as well as bunny kick a litter mate! A little early for play fights at just 15 days. These babies are the sweetest thing.I'm starting to think of fostering cats when I move. My mom did when I was little, I've had a few friends who have, so when I'm settled in a house this Aug, I'm going to try and start fostering a kitty at a time from the shelter.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And I wanted to share this hilarious pic with everyone!
Laser eyes! Surprisingly enough Hera was calm enough to take this picture when mama was near her!
She started hissing right after of course, but baby steps!

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on the furbabies! They are all gaining well, and all seem very healthy :)

Some are starting to do a more proper walk, less of a dragging, and more of a stand up walk.  So cute. It's so nice to watch them grow, I know it'll be hard to let them go!

Tomorrow my apartment is doing mandatory "pest control/inspection" and I have more cats than what is allowed on my lease so I am moving Zeus and Hera over to my dad's house so they can stay there for the day.

As long as the kittens stay quiet as they usually do all will go well.