1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will keep an eye out and make sure they are nursing from that nipple, she's taking a break right now and eating.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have all gained between 15g-25g today so all is well! I have some pictures for everyone :) I'm too tired to type out weights.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Help! Kitten number 2, the gray tabby has orange poop. It doesn't look red but it is almost neon orange! How can I help him out? I read it could mean bile in the stool? It isn't mucusy, but is borderline liquid/solid. mama doesn't seem to want to lick it off

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Clean it up for mom with a warm, damp cloth, and let us know if it continues. If it does, you'll want to call the vet.

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed anymore orange poop luckily, but I haven't seen him poop yet today so I'll update later on.
My other female Hera is extremely upset with mama. She's fine when buttons is in the bedroom, but the second she comes into the living room she hides, growls, and hisses at her.
I've been crying about it since it upsets me knowing if this doesn't stop I'll have no choice but to rehome one, and since I've had Hera for a long time and she's older than buttons, it would have to be mama. This is tearing me apart and I'm not sure how to make it better. She won't eat next to her or have anything to do with her and they used to be so comfortable with one another that they'd sleep together and groom each other.
Any tips on helping them get along would be appreciated. It's hard to find a good home for adult kitties and it'll be hard to let her go if this continues. :'(

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to relax. The situation will not last forever. They will go back to being friends when all is said and done. This is all about hormones, defending kittens and territory, and jealousy.

Just keep them apart for now, and feed them apart. I always recommend that moms and babies be separated from other residents for this very reason. When mom is fixed and babies re-homed down the road, status quo will return! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just worried because we had to move out of our old roommates home into an apartment last year because Hera started disliking their female and things never resolved. I don't want it to happen again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In that case, all you can do is wait it out. Some cats never really get along, but over time, come to a truce, and leave each other alone yet co-exist. A Feliway diffuser may also help calm your older cat, who seems set in her ways.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll try the diffuser, thank you.
Her issue is only with females, spayed or not she ends up with a problem it seems. We'll be sure to only keep a male kitten in that case but I sure hope she can at least co exist with buttons, I'd be heartbroken if I had to rehome her, I'd cry for months maybe years.

Update for the kittens, they've gained between 10 and 18 grams today, with most being at the 11g mark.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, today's gain isn't so good for one kitten.

Kitten 6, solid black female. She has only gained 2g in 24 hours. Do you recommend supplements every hour, until I go to sleep, then every 2 hours after? Poor thing..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! Supplement every 1-2 hours. How much does the kitten weigh?

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitten weighed 173g two days ago, 184g yesterday, and 186g today.

She's gained 1g since I started force feeding. She just won't take it, but I'm persistent.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, just be careful to go slow so it doesn't go in the lungs. It should get easier.

How much are you giving at each feeding?

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to give at least 1ml, trying for 2ml, but I'm hardly having luck with 1ml.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is throwing major fits every time I try and feed her. I'm going slow, but she is just not having it at ALL. I've taken extra care on placing her on mom more, the kitten just wants to sleep, isn't interested in nursing any extra. I'm going to keep at  it, and so far it is working and stubborn as this baby is, she's gained 3g now!

Though we did have a moment, I was trying to feed her, and she was screaming at the top of her little lungs! So mama came over and licked the top of her head over and over while I fed and it helped me get down about half a ml! :)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Every 2 hours is good. Wow - 3 grams already? That's quick! She obviously needs it.

You can wrap her in a towel if she's squirming.

She'll probably be okay through the night. Then feed her through the day tomorrow. She's getting something from mom since she did gain the 2 grams. It's just not enough.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard her crying very much so I assumed all was well until I weighed her! I've coaxed mom into letting her nurse solo by giving her extra wet food (on top of the 3-4 cans she gets a day)

She hates the formula but loves mom so hopefully she keeps gaining well! She was one of the ones growing the quickest and most, I was surprised she only gained 2g in a day compared to what she was getting.