1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty Buttons is pregnant with her first litter. She is nine months old, and this is of course an oops litter. She would have mated between the 3rd and 10th of March.
I'm anxious as this is the first time I've helped a queen. I have done weeks and weeks of research and I have a fully stocked kitten kit and birth/kittening area, and know how to help if something goes wrong (and am near an emergency vet)
I'm a very anxious person (which doesn't help haha) but I think she is very close to delivering. She's a very very small cat but I have NEVER seen an animal look this large pregnant. I know she either has massive kittens or a large litter.
Obviously it is nearing her due date. Since she could have mated for a whole week it's very up in the air about when she is actually due. But I suspect it was early in the week that she got pregnant as she was around two males that entire week (without my knowledge!)
I know there are many signs of labor but I'd like some personal opinions. Also I have 3 other cats in the apartment. It's a small apartment, so I've set up a large dog cage in my bedroom with a sheet over it, put a box in there with blankets and pillowcases and paper towels, and there's a perch shelf in there if she feels the need.
I'm scared she might try and hold the kittens in/delay labor since the other cats meow at the bedroom door all night when it is shut. During the day I stay near her and every so often will close of the room for her since they can come any time.
I have TRIED and I have tried everything to take her temp but she is NOT having it so no luck there.
I'd like to know what you think! And how long until you think she will be.
Here is what is currently happening with her for the past day/12hours
-she was eating enough for a village and now doesn't seem too interested. She is eating but not how she has been. She hasn't gained anything but kitten weight either
-she is staying near me and occasionally looks up and meows at me
-she looks uncomfortable a lot of the time
-her genital area (she's a tabby) is black but along the area of her vagina it seems swollen as I can see pink exposed
-I've looked for mucus but she is grooming so much there's no way I'd catch it
-occasional heavy breathing
-I believe she is nesting in her area but I haven't seen her actually going at it yet
Help?

TLDR; my cats young, pregnant, and near her due date. Right above are what is happening currently and I'd like to know how long you think it'll be. She mated between March 3rd and 10th but is massive. Thanks!

Ps sorry for typing out a novel! I'm nervous despite all this preparing and it doesn't help I can't take her temp since she's not having it haha.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also I am seeing her kittens kick!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does sound like she's getting close. Temperature isn't a reliable indicator and is obviously stressful, so leave that alone. What is in your kitten kit?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are seeing kitten movement she may have another week or so to go! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I think it'll be between 2 days and 5 days, we've been seeing movement for a few days but today they've been really active! When they become less active that means she's very close right?

My kitten kit has:

accurate kitchen scale

sterile gloves

dental floss

saline wipes

puppy training pads

KMR

syringe

feeding bottles

heating pad

notebook to record weights and other info

paper towels

clean wash cloth

basket to keep kittens in just in case she needs them moved away while birthing

emergency vet number

plenty of clean towels and pillow cases

I also have a large dog crate set up with a birthing box inside, her food and water bowls and a litterbox. I keep the food/water/litter box outside of the crate most of the time, but move it all in there (she has plenty of room, it's an XXL dog cage) when I open my bedroom to the other cats in the house, so they can't go in there. I have it covered in a sheet for privacy. 

Do you guys think it'll be between 2 and 5 days? I'm so excited I've been waiting and preparing for weeks!

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The kittens should move less when labor is near as they've moved into position. Temperature can not be used to indicate labor, it's so hit and miss. Each cat is different. You're only stressing yourselves out. They do usually have a day or 2 of not wanting their belly touched before becoming really clingy and wanting belly rubs constantly. There's no way to know for sure when they'll come, 65 days is just an average. Hang in there! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When did you first feel movement? It's 2-3 weeks after you've felt anything.

What kind of kmr do you have?

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I first felt movement weeks ago, but they've been super active the past few days from what I've seen.
The kmr I got is nutrivet, I've been giving mama a little of it daily in her wet food.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to add the KMR is powdered as well!

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I'll be posting updates on here as well! Mama hasn't been eating much, I think she's got the kitchens pushing on her so much it's hard to eat a lot!
I've picked out names for the kittens, no clue how many she's having but I picked out plenty of names! They are:
Caramellow
Snickers
Twix
Cadbury
Reese
Mars
Toffee
Hershey

All named after candy bars!

hayg81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw I was feeling exactly the same as you when my cat had her first litter. I only needed to help with the second kitten to open the sack as she was too busy cleaning the first one. Hope everything goes okay can't wait to see pics [emoji]128158[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unneeded mini rant:

I have been feeling so very guilty about her getting pregnant. Honestly I thought it was impossible. She is an indoor cat in a closed apartment complex, so no way out, all of my other cats are fixed. This was her second heat, we were waiting to get her fixed for a few more months because my other cat Zeus had to have a tumor removed, and I'm not rich. I had my brother babysit her for me and he has a female cat who is fixed and no other pets. 

He let over two male cats that belonged to his friend without letting me know. I have since paid for them to be neutered for the owner (even though he thinks males should remain intact while females not)

My brother mentioned the male cats to me on the 10th and I IMMEDIATELY picked her up. I was of course, too late. I feel so guilty, I know kittens are exciting and loveable but I know because of this, other kittens won't get homes. Even though I already have four, if she has 2 kittens I will keep them both. I'll be moving to a house soon this early fall so they will have the room.
I've fostered animals before, and taken in strays to get fixed multiple times but now I'm contributing to this issue and I just feel bad and have no one to talk to about it so I figured why not this forum.

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Guess who figured out how to edit her comments. It was right in front of my face.

Update! Morning 5/4/16

Her mammary glands have been getting bigger every day, but the ones furthest up are very large now too! The same size as the lower ones. They could've been like this for days since she wasn't letting me look at her tummy area until this morning.

She seems well, she isn't producing milk, though there is a light clear discharge coming out of her. It was about a pea sized amount, no odor. All seems well but I pray they come soon! The waiting is killing me!

I haven't seen movement since yesterday, but yesterday was the most movement I've seen.

Update afternoon 5/4/16

She has not been eating much. A few laps of wet food here and there. She is mostly resting but is staying near me (she has the whole bedroom to roam) and is often looking up and meowing loudly.

No signs of milk, and no more discharge so I think it will be a few days yet! I've crammed everything I can under the bed because I have a feeling that she might choose there and it would be hard to get to her if she needed me

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update for midnight 5/5/16

I don't know if we are seeing things but her stomach seems to be getting smaller. Well, not smaller but is rounder at the bottom rather than sides. It's really tight. I'm not seeing any movement, but if I feel for long enough on her tum it kind of feels like gas. Bubbles almost.
She is doing well and has been vocal all day. Very affectionate and is roaming the room a lot :) hopefully she settles in the next day or so

My apologies for the furry sheet! I just changed them today and they are already covered in cat fur!

Last edited by a moderator:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Need advice! She's doing everything in her power to escape the room or get under the bed. I stuffed tons of things under there so she can't get under. I have a nice nesting cage for her, under the desk, and under the end table are also options I've prepared for her but she REALLY wants everywhere else! I know she isn't in labor, but I do think she's getting there.

She's such a sweetie though I feel so bad for her

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's her nesting and other instincts kicking in. Can you provide her some other nest options?