1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of the kittens are using the litterbox and eating wet food without prompting! 5 of them are eating dry kitten food and all of them are drinking water. I've had to dry off Tabby a few times because he plays in the water bowl and the poor thing gets all wet and cold!

I have a little rant/vent because I'm so frustrated with how people act sometimes! Someone had posted on facebook that they are looking to adopt a kitten, so I posted my info in the comments along with pictures, a few things like adoption fee, and that they will be UTD and fixed, and to PM me, so I could inform them about the adoption contract. Along with the requirements stated.

A sum up of the requirements are:

If you don't want to or cannot care for the kitten to return the kitten to me

do not declaw (along with an informational article on why it's wrong)

to promise to provide nutritional food and water daily

to keep the kitten as an indoor companion only

to provide proper vet check ups and care when needed

to not strike the cat under ANY circumstances

And this guy said that I was insane! I asked him what he meant and he said and I quote (with fixed spelling); "I don't want a cat I can't declaw those things tear up furniture and it's just for my son, not me. The cat I am getting will be an outside cat for the most part. I don't want to take it to the vet for checkups, cats don't need those. They only need emergency care after they are fixed! I would never hurt a cat but they are just like dogs and when they do wrong need a good spank, just like kids. It's how they learn."

I just.. wow. I told him that declawing an amputation, it leads to problems down the line, and is illegal in a lot of places and is on it's way to being illegal here. I also mentioned that if he is declawing this cat and then allowing it outside it will only have it's teeth for defense! I told him cats are NOT toys, and should not be thought of as "just for your son" because they should be members of the family, not just an accessory. I said spanking an animal does nothing but make them fear you and training them takes effort and time, they have to learn! Not fear! Then I told him to have a good day and to consider getting his son a beta fish instead because cats are a lot of work and should not be taken into homes where they will not be cared for! 

To think there were other people in the comments basically throwing their kittens at this man because they don't want to deal with them anymore! Some of them were only 5 weeks old and the woman giving them away said they were ready because they JUST started eating food. I'm so upset! I want to just comment on all of those other people thinking of those kittens as burdens that they need to be careful who they give them to! agh! I can't just go starting fights with people, because no matter how educating I try to be, people always think they are right!

Like, if you have an outside cat as long as it is properly cared for, okay! I grew up with outdoor kitties! They were happy and safe. They need homes! If you declaw a cat before you are educated on it, it's okay! Just don't declaw any cats you may adopt in the future unless it's medically needed. But this man is thinking of a cat as a present for his son, and doesn't want to actually take care of it! I'm so upset knowing that he is going to take one of those underaged kittens home and not care for it properly! :(

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That just doesn't sound like a good situation at all. I know people let cats outside more often than not and declawed them when inside back in the day.... but that is quickly becoming something that people realize isn't kind and is not necessary. I am glad that he was honest with you because I'm worried about the people that will lie to me. My guys are 8 weeks old today and I only have them for a few more weeks and it's breaking my heart. My husband is finishing up school and we're moving back to CA in 3 months for his internship....most likely will have to rent and couldn't possibly keep them. I'm lucky that I've already placed two in homes with good friends who already have another cat  and I know they'll be well taken care of. The two that I wanted to keep I will need homes for. I have a list of people asking for them but I really need to feel like it's a good fit or I can't let go. Anyway...I guess I'm just saying that I know how you feel and it sucks that some people will not take good care of their kitties to the point that you even need to have them sign a form.