1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everything has gone smoothly today, Zeus and Hera are back home.

Whenever Zeus approaches the kitten cage/den area, he hisses, and has punched the cage wire! He isn't too pleased with the newcomers. He will come around though. He's typically very friendly with new cats, but I understand how six tiny wobbly kittens are intimidating to him!

When they are all walking better I will begin letting them explore the bedroom. I'm going to invest in a play pen (with an attachable cover) to keep the kittens in when they are about 5-6 weeks, it'll give them space to play, go potty, and sleep.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mr. Darcy hissed the 3rd time he saw the kittens, because one got in his face. He's never hissed before so we were not expecting that. That was 2 weeks ago and he's not bothered by them now, but they're not playing with him yet. He'll walk up and sniff or even lick them, then walks away. I think he's afraid of them lol

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Krissy Marissy  Yes! Zeus is the biggest ball of love, I was surprised! Charlie (my black kitty) is doing alright with them. He's been introduced to three kittens, and he will sniff them, and then hang his mouth open for a few seconds (a sign of dominance or confusion?) but he is fine! 

Hera seems scared of the kittens, but is only aggressive towards Mama. It's so confusing to me why she is being so violent with her. It's not the typical scared kitty fight with hissing, and poofy tails. Hera sounds like a bobcat when she attacks her! I keep them seperated as well as I can all day, and let Mama out supervised every so often, but it looks like I'm going to have to stop doing that, or lock Hera in the bathroom when Mama comes out of the bedroom because Hera bit Mama AGAIN! On the ear, and there's a chunk of fur gone and a wound that is starting to scab over (I cleaned the wound, it's minor). I've noticed Mama isn't doing anything that seems provoking of an attack, she carries herself proud, but is minding her own business. Hera will run at her seemingly out of no where and just start biting.

It's scary! Very scary! Hera better stop being so prissy and mean! I would HATE to have to rehome Mama, but luckily I found a trustworthy adopter of her if it comes to it. My oldest brother, Mike, said he would gladly take Mama as a companion to his senior cat if Hera and her are unable to come to an understanding in the next several months.

If it comes to that, I will be able to see her throughout her life. But hopefully there is an understanding between these two.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think you need to stop letting them interact at all. Each negative interaction is only setting them back further, unfortunately.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut  That was the goal originally, but for a few hours during the day I have to leave the doors open to air out the apartment and cool it off, the June heat is hitting hard. I have a single wall AC unit in the living room, and if the doors aren't left open long enough to cool it down a little, it's too hot for the kittens and mama, and way too hot to sleep in the bedroom or even be in there at all. I'm limiting interaction as much as I possibly can. If I lock Hera in the bathroom she will open it as the seal is busted enough to open with light pressure (without turning the knob), which I just found out she knew how to do, maybe she just figured it out herself. I'll be locking her in there when the bedroom door is open and keeping an eye on the bathroom door while she is in there to be sure she hasn't opened the door.

I'll be keeping them apart as much as I possibly can, though. It's just difficult when Mama sprints out of the bedroom any chance she gets, among the other factors. :( I feel awful every time they fight, I swear I'm trying my absolute best to keep them apart, it's just hard.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Figured I'd do a a weight update so someone can tell me if they are all decent weights for their age!

Kitten 1, male- born 89g now 351g

Kitten 2, male- born 102g now 393g

Kitten 3, male- born 93g now 353g

Kitten 4, female- born 89g now 344g

Kitten 5, female- born 81g now 318g

Kitten 6, female- born 96g now 339g

Born may 15th, they are 19 and a half days old.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are doing great! They are all right in the range where they need to be. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
just caught up to this post-adorable!

I wonder if you could find a box fan and put the fan in the window after the sun goes down and blow cool air in? I haven't put my ac in yet but this is what we do-although its been muggy lately but not too hot yet. during the day do you have covers over your windows? the darker the fabric the cooler it will stay in your house-it really does work. Once the sun shines on the front of the house is when it gets hot-of course we close the windows around 7am as well which the cats hate.

By the way I love the white stripe on skunk girl :)

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trust me i try everything to cool off this apartment! KY is so hot and humid it's so miserable, our AC is probably 20+ years old. I keep a box ran running in the bedroom so the air doesn't get stale, but without the AC in there to cool it down the fan just circulates hot air. So far the bathroom arrangement is working pretty well, I tied a shoelace to the nob and I tie it to the vacuum when she's in there so she can't pry the door open with her tiny evil paws haha! Hera likes the bathroom but prefers the door open, everything is going well currently since they haven't seen each other in days. I'll be keeping them apart for a while, until mama is spayed, and the kittens are older.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've got a question about predicting adult sizes. There's probably no way to be sure, but would it typically be true the largest kitten would also be the largest adult?
The smallest kitten is 340g, and the largest is 443g, quite a massive difference! Especially since all of the kittens are under 400g except the one. The biggest born, the gray tabby boy is so much bigger, and I'm falling in love with him, he's in my top 2 so far, and I love love love big kitties (big for dsh at least) so it would be awesome to know he's most likely going to be a big boy.
The litter mates I currently have Zeus and Hera, are over a year old now and Zeus was .8lb bigger when they were 3 months old. Neither are fat, a little pudgy but athletic, and they are over a 7lb difference now!

I know with dogs you typically go by paw sizes, is there any real way to tell with kittens how big they may end up being?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My runt turned out to be my biggest cat, but even as a runt he had huge paws. It's not a given, but paw size can apply to cats too. The fact your kitten is already bigger likely means he will be big, but there's no guarantee.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's got the biggest paws of the bunch, but one of his sisters is pretty close in paw size. I love kitties of all shapes and sizes but exceptionally small cats and extra big cats have a special place in my heart haha.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of the kittens have teeth in or coming in! 3 1/2 weeks now.
I'm having trouble locating homes for the kittens, people would rather get a free kitten and never take it to the vet, and be able to declaw it or do whatever they want than get a fully vetted healthy kitten it seems.
I'm asking 75, which is less than I'm going to be spending on them at the vet alone! I can't ask for anything lower, I'm moving in a few months and I'm going to just barely make deposits and travel and everything else if the kittens are all rehomed!
I feel like asking people to sign a contract is the "off putting" part, but I wouldn't let anyone adopt a kitten without that contract being signed so hopefully people start jumping to adopt when they are about the correct age instead of weeks and weeks away.

Irritatingly enough, I've had about four people now promise they wanted a kitten from me, and then went off and bought pet store kittens instead. I'm glad those kittens have homes now, but it's so frustrating because they told me something else and they didn't even try a shelter or rescue! Just straight to the pet store because they were impatient. :(
I'm so worried about finding these babies homes in time, If I can't find them all homes I don't know what I'll do.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of the kittens have teeth in or coming in! 3 1/2 weeks now.
I'm having trouble locating homes for the kittens, people would rather get a free kitten and never take it to the vet, and be able to declaw it or do whatever they want than get a fully vetted healthy kitten it seems.
I'm asking 75, which is less than I'm going to be spending on them at the vet alone! I can't ask for anything lower, I'm moving in a few months and I'm going to just barely make deposits and travel and everything else if the kittens are all rehomed!
I feel like asking people to sign a contract is the "off putting" part, but I wouldn't let anyone adopt a kitten without that contract being signed so hopefully people start jumping to adopt when they are about the correct age instead of weeks and weeks away.

Irritatingly enough, I've had about four people now promise they wanted a kitten from me, and then went off and bought pet store kittens instead. I'm glad those kittens have homes now, but it's so frustrating because they told me something else and they didn't even try a shelter or rescue! Just straight to the pet store because they were impatient. :(
I'm so worried about finding these babies homes in time, If I can't find them all homes I don't know what I'll do.
Unfortunately a lot of people like to pick their kittens based upon the colors they think are cute (not saying yours aren't cute. Trust me, they're very cute! Especially the one with the little "skunk" stripe!). A lot of people decide to get pets on impulse because kittens are cute but they don't want to wait for the kitten to grow up enough to be adopted. These are people you should steer clear of when thinking about potential adopters because they are also the most likely to surrender the kitten to a shelter at the first sign of a problem (litterbox issues or scratching the furniture are the most common reasons).

Also, about the declawing, if anyone who thinks about adopting one of your kittens and intends to declaw it. Explain to them what exactly is done when a vet declaws a cat- and if they truly love animals, they should no longer have the desire to put a cat through that sort of mutilation. I've always thought that anyone who chooses to declaw a cat clearly cares more about their furniture than they do about their cat.

And $75 is a very reasonable adoption fee! Most kittens from petsmart and petco are $125 or more (our petcos and petsmarts get their kittens from shelters and fosters though, so I'm not going to hate on them about selling kittens.)

Thats so sad that those people bought pet store kittens :( (assuming the pet store doesn't get their kittens from shelters).

Most kittens that come from pet stores are from Backyard breeders that are only looking to make a buck off of the animals they have. The kittens are often sick too. One of our local chain pet stores is (obviously) supplied by Backyard breeders and puppy mills (No self-respecting breeder sells their animals to a pet store like that). I always see sick dogs and cats when I go in there. I often wonder how they are still allowed to operate, given how poorly the animals are treated.