1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well yesterday it was the smallest runt (born 81g) that didn't gain! Only 2g. I gave her some formula three times and she perked up and began nursing again, so all is well today.
It seems when I have to focus on one kitten more I forget to make sure the rest are all alright!

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of mine had a gain of 4 grams once. They're each averaging over a 100 gram gains a week so I try not to freak after one weigh in. The next day after a lower gain of 8 I'll see double that. If it was two in a row I'd begin to worry.

How old are they now?

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today they are 8 days old :)
And I try not to freak out too, but better safe than sorry and I supplement them all a few times during the day because mama likes to sleep for seven hours without moving much. Haha
One baby, the gray/blue tabby boy has started to open his eyes!
All of them have doubled their weight and some are double plus some

Last edited:

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes. I forgot they were so young. It's good that you're very on top of things. They've doubled their weight as they should do that's good!

They're so cute when they get those eyes open. And then their little ears perk up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weight doubling is excellent, so your efforts to supplement are paying off!

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't want to start a separate forum for this, since it's just one question, but I just re-applied kitty caps to Hera's paws, and I used the wrong glue! The bottles look similar and I used human nail glue, not kitty safe nail glue. It isn't super glue/krazy glue/gorilla glue or anything, but Is she going to be alright or is this something I need to get to the vet for soon to have them removed there? She's acting the same I just don't know what the differences are in the cat nail glue and human versions.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Silicone soft caps for cat claws, the specific brand I use is Kitty Caps, they are also called "soft claws". They're to keep kitty from scratching furniture. I put them on Hera every three weeks, she hasn't needed them for a few months, but she's stressed lately so she's scratching furniture a bit more, and we have a new couch. So I reapplied them, but since it's been a while I forgot what the tube of glue looked like and used the wrong one.

Image from google-

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel like I need these...But doesn't it leave the cat defenseless? Like against small children per say.. And does your car really allow you to put them on? I'm scared even when it comes to trimming nails.
Okay...I can be found deep in the world of google.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@princess sophia  No, all of my cats are completely indoors, except Zeus who goes out supervised on a harness and leash, but he doesn't wear them anymore anyways. And if for some reason a cat fight breaks out, I am only ever a few feet away. My cats NEVER fought (aside from cat play fights) until mama had her babies, and now Hera is stressed and she keeps getting into growl/swat/hiss fights with Mama, so I keep them separated most of the day, unless I am next to them. They still have their back claws uncovered and they have teeth if need be. It's the humane alternative to declawing, this doesn't involve amputation or pain.

My cats are used to getting their nails trimmed every few days, so putting them on isn't a big deal. Maybe one squirm to freedom before I even start but after a little pat on the head they are good to go.

They are a saving grace honestly. And if a cat can be harmed by a small child to where the cat should be able to fight back with front claws, perhaps the children shouldn't be allowed near a cat anyways. I wouldn't ever put these on an outdoor cat, but I don't have an outdoor cat so it isn't an issue.

Last edited:

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand it for some people. I grew up with an indoor/ outdoor cat and when my mother redid the house and got all new furniture, she had him declawed (and still let him out). I see how this is more humane.

But when my kids come to me on the rare occasion saying that sophie scratched them, I know there is a damn good reason! And yes, it happens...boys will be boys and sometimes they will play too rough. But they still deserve to have a pet.

Plus with two little boys, my furniture was destroyed long before Sophie came along :)

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@princess sophia  oh no I get that, I thought you meant like full on attacking! An occasional kitty scratch is different. Though if the kitty will have it, you could work up to trimming the claws and even kitty caps if it interests you. :) I know some cats HATE having their claws trimmed, but most can be worked up to it. It took me a year to get Hera used to being picked up and having her paws touched, she wasn't really a people kitty at first. She started to come around when I played with her paws (pushing out her claws and letting them retract again) a few times a day. 

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can barely get decent cat food here!

Id have to order kitty claws on Amazon and have someone bring them when they visit.

Sophie has been with me since 6 weeks old so she is fine with me. But she does not have kitty manners since she lost her family too young. For example she once nipped my sleeping son's arm in the middle of the night cuz he wouldn't pet her. She got into to huge trouble for that!!! (Lost her spot on my bed that night)

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We use soft claws (covers) too and love them. I'm not sure about the glue, I imagine it's similar? I don't know what human nail glue is. Maybe just call vet to ask if no one here knows. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update for the babies at 8.5 days!

Kitten 1 born 89g is now 205g          Solid gray with white Male

Kitten 2 born 102g is now 243g        Gray mackerel tabby Male

Kitten 3 born 93g is now 228g          Solid black Male

Kitten 4 born 89g is now 217g          Black and white Female 

Kitten 5 born 81g is now 186g          Solid black Female

Kitten 6 born 96g is now 213g          Solid black Female

Kitten 5 who gained 2g yesterday, only gained 5g for today, even with supplementing. I'll be supplementing her more today, around the clock to get her back on track. I know 5g isn't TERRIBLE, but considering the gain for yesterday on top of this one, and her being the only one under 200g, and the runt, it worries me.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weights are actually good. All kittens, uncluding #5, have more than doubled their birth weights. Continue to supplement #5, and keep up the nice job! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm falling in love with both kitten 3 and kitten 2! They are the biggest sweethearts, and so quiet compared to their siblings when I pick them up! My soon to be roommate and I have to have males only, because Hera obviously has a problem with females. :(

We are going to continue working with Hera to accept Buttons, so they can co-exist, but the issue seems to be getting worse whenever they are in the same room. I hope Hera changes her mind.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Re-read my Post #248.
Yes but this has happened before, we had to move out into an apartment because our old roommate had a female cat that Hera decided she hated almost out of the blue. We figured it would be a one time thing, but it's happened again.

She's territorial and had no issue with Mama when she was just a kitten, we figured all was okay.

I'm going to let it settle, Mama isn't going anywhere unless this problem doesn't stop after she is fixed and kittens are gone. The other female she had an issue with was spayed, so it doesn't look very good, but I'm trying to remain optimistic.