1st time mom/anxious owner.. Help! TLDR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm happy they are doing a better! Mom keeps frantically trying to move them somewhere that is unsafe (water heater) I've closed it off but she keeps trying, and just leaving piles of kittens everywhere. So I've just moved her and them into the XXL dog cage because she can't move them from there, but she isn't happy and I'm not sure what to do

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried covering the edges of the dog crate with a a sheet?  It might feel too exposed.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is covered. There's also a covered box inside too. She is insisting on a dangerous area :( I've blocked it off to the best of my ability, but she keeps trying with a kitten in between her teeth and I'm scared one will get hurt. I tried moving the laundry basket in a different corner, and she is okay with being in there for now.

If I leave the room at ALL she starts moving them around, and it's hard for me not to leave the room, I've gotta eat, and take care of the other cats.

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel like she's mostly trying to move them because she doesn't feel safe when I'm not watching her, as much as I wish I could stay by her all day and night I've gotta leave for a few minutes at least! Poor mama, she seems so uncertain still but she is trying so hard <3

And it also seems we have 3 boys and 3 girls, maybe 4 girls and 2 boys

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has finally settled with them in the original spot. The laundry basket on my bed. She won't accept anything else I guess! Too bad for my boyfriend, I was hoping he wouldn't have to sleep on the couch again!

They are all suckling right now, I supplemented the two smallest and attached them to a nipple after. They are starting to take my feedings easier. If they gain really well by tomorrow I'll keep the supplements to once every few hours. Right now I'm doing every 2-3 hours, and rotating them.

Well scratch that! As I'm typing she hasn't settled! She just moved one again, well, tried to. I moved her back. Ugh :(

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The corner by my desk, which is covered by a trashcan, gun case, and now pillows to clog holes she can walk in, there's a water heater behind the wall, but there are pipes that come out of the wall that do get very hot, enough to be uncomfortable for my hand if I let it sit on it a while. If I am not directly next to her on the bed she moves them, it's getting really frustrating. I know she will calm eventually, but its getting tiring picking up kittens off the floor, and her moving them while they scream out (not sure if it's normal for her to hold them by their face?) if I just go to the bathroom.

I've tried petting her to calm her down, but she's just being very difficult for me. 

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now she is walking around the room with a screaming kitten in her mouth. I don't know what to do. She seems like she's hurting them because they are yelling very very loud when she picks them up. Not to mention she keeps lying on them while I hear muffled screams from under her, but she won't move for them.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should let her move them. Better yet, put the basket on the floor near where she wants to put them so it's easier for her. Put a blanket on the floor there. Try to cover the pipes. I really think it's better if you let her settle there for now.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She just can't settle there. My boyfriend wont have it, and I'd have to nail a blanket to the wall, the pipes are all over it, there are wires everywhere because that's where our desk and pc are, there's nowhere else to move the wires. I'd move the basket there but it won't fit, she's trying to fit in a 1ft by 2ft crevice, even if I move the things there it's still way to small for her and the kittens to be without her crushing them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there another place where she might feel "hidden" besides the crate? She sounds very unhappy and frustrated.

A closet maybe?

Cats just don't like being out in the open with their babies.

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The crate is in a corner, with sheets on it, with boxes inside it as well. My apartment is very very tiny, and there isn't really anywhere else. I'm worried about the closet since there are dangerous things in there she can get into that have no where else to go at all..

She's been what my boyfriend calls a "problem" cat since we've had her, destroying everything despite training and gentle care and love. I think the people who initially raised her may have just let her do anything she wanted, she doesn't grasp the concept of "no". My boyfriend dislikes her already and if she keeps this up when he gets home from work he's going to want to get rid of her even more. I don't believe in doing that, we've taken on a commitment, and he loves our other cats, but she is very stubborn and doesn't learn well, she's tearing up the carpet right now trying to get in that corner, I guess I'm going to have to try and kitten proof it, I get she feels it's the safest place, I just wish she understood that it isn't.

Last edited:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well after duct taping the blanket over the pipes and blocking everything off, there isn't even enough room in there for her and the kittens, and she's trying to fit anyways. :( it's very hard to get to them too.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you send a picture of the wall with all the pipes and such.  It will be easier to advise if people can  "see" what you are talking.

Last edited by a moderator:

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my boyfriend gets home I will take a picture. It's just a tight area, I feel like the blanket covers it well now that I've "fixed" it up, it's just a tight tight area. I moved the gun case and other things to the closet, so there's a little more room, but she can't really spread out,  just hunch. If I move the desk in front of the closet then she will have more room to spread, I just won't be able to open the closet.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a feeling that when you are able to send a picture, your problem can be easier resolved when we can "see" that area.  You may just have to be creative and take a step back, walk back in as if looking at the situation through different eyes.  Also, taking "cues" from mamma cat will be helpful, after all, if she doesn't approve, nothing will work.  But you are right, SAFETY is the number one objective here.  Something will be figured out.  Hang in there, you are doing a great job.!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mama cats know where they want to put their babies, and when they can't, there is much frustration and anxiety.

She may be a cat who needs more space in general than your tiny apartment provides, especially with other cats around.

She is being very determined right now in wanting to hide and protect her newborns. Although this feels like a problem to you, to mama kitty it is her natural instinct! She's also been hormonal for weeks and weeks, since her pregnancy started.

Do you have plans to re-home her when the kittens are adopted?

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have plans to rehome her, I care about her a lot. I don't know of anyone who would want to adopt her anyways, everyone I know thinks she is terrible. :( We've had her for six months, I feel like she will improve with time, especially after she is spayed. I think she just needs some more time than the other cats, my boyfriend just doesn't understand that.

She's also moving the kittens again, under the end table this time, which is much more acceptable. Hopefully she settles there. She's being super talkative, I wish I could speak cat and find out what's wrong!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What's wrong is she wants to move her babies to a place of her choosing, and settle down with them. She's upset. I'm pretty sure that is what she is trying to tell you.

Last edited: