Young cat just went into labor help please

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Granny!  No worries tonight.

The whiskas milk is like a treat.  If you have any of the KMR, you said you mixed some up yesterday, she may enjoy that.  Double check the KMR directions.  Once mixed the KMR is only good for so long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weights are excellent :).

Yes, weigh again in 24 hours. Glad you marked them.

Give mom some of the Bio Care to drink each day. The Fancy Feast kitten food is perfect for her!

It sounds like the little guys have figured out to get some extra nursing in while their siblings are napping.

Everything sounds great! You are doing a superb job :).
I am so very happy to hear the weights are great. Okay I will make some for her. She didn't like the whiskas milk to much.

I noticed last 2 feeding the small orange had difficulty with latching on to nipple was crying and I put her near but she didn't take but took on the third nipple not being used. Mommy is out of the box while they are sleeping all snuggled. I have helped at some point all of them latch but the bigger ones know.

Thank you I couldn't have done it seriously without you. I am so blessed. This is a journey something I never ever experienced but a beautiful one

As far as changing the towels to different one how do I Clean the box I hd added wee pads inside under but then put above the towel the babies didn't like the feel of the wee pads so I have towel. I want to make it softer. I don't see really signs of them using the bathroom little tiny marks. I do not want them to sleep in their bathroom but I reply don't smell or see. Next step on changing the box I had read since they are blind right now that scent is important so if I change to new towels will they be ok for now towel was a little damp. I have a bigger box this week I need to cut down but the babies re so small and that but it fits. a Xmas tree ini it so it's huge.

Have a good night! :Tilt Heart:

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 ​Your cat and kittens are adorable!

It is better to use fleece instead of towels with tiny kittens. Their little claws tend to get caught in towels. You can buy fleece by the yard at Walmart or the fabric store and cut it into smaller squares to use for bedding. It is soft and cozy and easy to wash. Plus you can cut it to any size you want it to be to fit your nest box.

Tiny kittens don't use the bathroom on their own. That is why you aren't seeing any signs of them using the bathroom. Mama cat stimulates them and cleans it up.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats Granny!  No worries tonight.

The whiskas milk is like a treat.  If you have any of the KMR, you said you mixed some up yesterday, she may enjoy that.  Double check the KMR directions.  Once mixed the KMR is only good for so long.
Hi thank you so much! I am so indebted with your kindness can't thank you enough. Simba doesn't care for the whiskas milk. I have the bio care first born powder from petco Is it similar to kmr? If not where can I purchase the kmr and would the powder be ok or the actual cartoon milk to give to Simba. I did make some of the bio care when i was panicking but never used it and discarded it. But wanted it on hand just in case. I can make Simba some tomorrow and give her. This is such a beautiful experience.

I haven't seen any of them go to bathroom or any poop frm the babies a little spotting and dampness on the towel I bought some fresh new towels that don't have my Downey scent or laundry scent on them to put down. When can I change the bedding? I don't want to make them stressed if all they have is smell with no eyesight. But I also don't want them in there own urine.

So far so good :heart2:

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:)  ​Your cat and kittens are adorable!

It is better to use fleece instead of towels with tiny kittens. Their little claws tend to get caught in towels. You can buy fleece by the yard at Walmart or the fabric store and cut it into smaller squares to use for bedding. It is soft and cozy and easy to wash. Plus you can cut it to any size you want it to be to fit your nest box.

Tiny kittens don't use the bathroom on their own. That is why you aren't seeing any signs of them using the bathroom. Mama cat stimulates them and cleans it up.

Hi thank you I didn't see you comment so excuse me asking about the bathroom. I have fleece blankets I can cut up. I have a brand new one and I would like to use that one. I'm just waiting a few days for eyes to open. Yes you are right I saw the little paw get caught.
My only concern is Simba doesn't like soft things at all. When found she was living in a tree and never slept in her cat bed. Always on floor. She is okay with the towel. I'm just wondering if I put the fleece in if she will not want to stay in the box. She's outside a lot of the time I think she is warm. She loves the cold but when babies were born I took air conditioner In. It's warm but I did put a fan in room but notoriety on her. Her box is behind my bed that's her favorite spot. It was rather warm for me but I know the kittens need the warmth. I will try the fleece soon. Or maybe do half with fleece in case she doesn't take a liking. Thank you much for your advice. And I was just thinking the fleece blankets are thick maybe the fleece that Walmart sells is a thinner fleece. Great idea! :sun:

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you I didn't see you comment so excuse me asking about the bathroom. I have fleece blankets I can cut up. I have a brand new one and I would like to use that one. I'm just waiting a few days for eyes to open. Yes you are right I saw the little paw get caught.
My only concern is Simba doesn't like soft things at all. When found she was living in a tree and never slept in her cat bed. Always on floor. She is okay with the towel. I'm just wondering if I put the fleece in if she will not want to stay in the box. She's outside a lot of the time I think she is warm. She loves the cold but when babies were born I took air conditioner In. It's warm but I did put a fan in room but notoriety on her. Her box is behind my bed that's her favorite spot. It was rather warm for me but I know the kittens need the warmth. I will try the fleece soon. Or maybe do half with fleece in case she doesn't take a liking. Thank you much for your advice. And I was just thinking the fleece blankets are thick maybe the fleece that Walmart sells is a thinner fleece. Great idea!
You can get fleece blankets that are 60 x 60 for $5.00 or 60 x 90 for $9.99 at Walmart as I have them to place on the bottom of my two 9 month old siblins play pen where they sleep at night. Their thin, but still a little soft.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can get fleece blankets that are 60 x 60 for $5.00 or 60 x 90 for $9.99 at Walmart as I have them to place on the bottom of my two 9 month old siblins play pen where they sleep at night. Their thin, but still a little soft.

Awwww so cute they sleep in play pen. I want to get a play pen where did you purchase yours from? Yes the thin fleece would be perfect because Simba likes everything hard. 2 kitten siblings how adorable. Thank you for info. :sun:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whatever you decide to use just wash it first to get the store smell off.

Please post their weights tonight so we can see how they are doing :).

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KMR is Kitten Milk Replacer and that is what you purchased at Petco.  So go ahead and use that.

If you just have one layer of fleece in the box it shouldn't be too soft for Simba.  Simba may be laying on the floor because the towels are wet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Simba is laying on the floor to get out of a cramped box and take a break. All cats do this. It has nothing to do with the bedding!

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got the play pen via Amazon. It has a zip up top and a non removable floor. It's very easy to clean, just remove the fleece I put down on the floor, vacuum any litter they may have gotten under the fleece, put the new fleece in and all clean and ready for the night. Here is a picture of it. There's room in it for their litter box, beds, two food bowls an auto fill water dispenser and toys. It has a 62 inch diameter and is 30 inches tall.

Thank you is there a certain brand to search for on amazon? That looks so nice. I wanted something with open top so Simba can also sleep with them. There are 3 days old today :yummy:

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whatever you decide to use just wash it first to get the store smell off.

Please post their weights tonight so we can see how they are doing :).

Hi that's ok it has the detergent smell or Downey fragrance?
The bedding is damp so I want to change it.
I have a huge cardboard box that fits a Xmas tree so will be getting it down so Simba can get out and in and be putting down freh towels and fleece but was waiting when there eyes open in a few mor days so they see what they are doing since it's very big.

I had a concern I think I overlooked orange #3 might be the runt. Since there's 3 identical orange but this one is tiny I don't know if I didn't see it till now or it just started. I'm seeing with her feeding.
530am feeding the tiny orange was crying and crying. She was crying till about 6am. All the time I tried to latch her on to nipple she wouldn't grab then finally very short grab suck then leave then cry and cry. She's finally did attach and suck on a different nipple. But Simba just got up to eat and drink but they were all quiet. How long do they actual drink the milk for? I know they latch to bond or sleep. But it seemed really short feeding and Simba was stressed with the crying. Simba got up and they were all cuddled sleeping while she is not in box. Simba kept rearranging herself to try and help. I'm going to start paying more attention to the little orange. Is this something to be cautious about. The box is by my bed so I hear and look and try to help. I feel so bad I never heard any of them cry so much since they been born. This happened a few more times today with feeding today. Luckily I was there but what if I temp out and not there. Tiny orange is Having problems with nipple I put on nipple she sucks a little then stops the crys and walks all over everyone and I put tiny orange on nipple again same one or different. What do you think is going on. All the others including tiny grey are ok. Thank you.

And yes will post the weights tonight hoping the tiny orange gained something.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
KMR is Kitten Milk Replacer and that is what you purchased at Petco.  So go ahead and use that.

If you just have one layer of fleece in the box it shouldn't be too soft for Simba.  Simba may be laying on the floor because the towels are wet.

Okay thank you I'll do. She ate and it's pretty hot where they are. I put fan on but would like to put ac on low but when should I because I think Simba is hot I am sure is hot. Simba loves the cold up till she gave birth she was next to ac which was on full blast.

Yes towels are damp. Will change them.

I'm having a problem with tiny orange.
I think I overlooked orange #3 might be the runt. Since there's 3 identical orange but this one is tiny I don't know if I didn't see it till now or it just started. 530am feeding the tiny orange was crying and crying. She was crying till about 6:15am. All during the time I tried to latch her on to nipple she wouldn't grab then finally very short grab suck then leave then cry and cry. She's finally did attach and suck on nipple But Simba just got up to eat and drink but they were all quiet. How long do they actual drink the milk for? I know they latch to bond or sleep. But it seemed really short feeding and Simba was stressed with the crying. Simba got up and they were all cuddled sleeping while she is not in box. Simba kept rearranging herself to try and help. I'm going to start paying more attention to the little orange. Is this something to be cautious about. The box is by my bed so I hear and look and try to help. I feel so bad I never heard any of the, cry so much since they been born. Then later on This happened a few more times today with feeding. Having problems with nipple I put on nipple she sucks a little then stops then crys and walks all over everything and I put tiny orange on nipple. What do,you think is going on. All the others including tiny grey are ok. Please let me know if this is common. Thank you so much.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The small orange might be weaker then the others and not getting enough milk.

You will know if there is a lack of weight gain very soon which will tell if he should be started supplementing.

You have 2 runts, but not so bad, their weights are good too, however anytime there are bigger kittens the smaller do suffer for it.

So lets see what the weight update tells.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The small orange might be weaker then the others and not getting enough milk.
You will know if there is a lack of weight gain very soon which will tell if he should be started supplementing.

You have 2 runts, but not so bad, their weights are good too, however anytime there are bigger kittens the smaller do suffer for it.
So lets see what the weight update tells.

Okay thank you hope the weights will be good. I feel bad I didn't take notice. The 7pm feeding tiny orange cried a little but she is latched don't know if milk but I will weigh tonight and post. Thank you :rbheart:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mother produces colostrum the first couple of days.  Sometimes the kittens lose a little weight the first day.  Don't be too alarmed if that happens.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The mother produces colostrum the first couple of days.  Sometimes the kittens lose a little weight the first day.  Don't be too alarmed if that happens.

Okay thank you. I am weighing them in 2 hours depending when they are not feeding. I will post after. Is it ok to have a runt kitty crying or latching on and off. I described it above in a message. Today is 3 rd day. :rbheart:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kitten is crying it is hungry.  can you get it to latch on? Otherwise you may have to give it a couple mls of formula.  Reread the post #48 where I explained how to do it.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please feed this little runt. It is crying for food. Have you supplemented this kitten yet? It clearly needs supplementing.

There is no time to waste. What is this kitten's weight?

Do you know how to feed this kitten?