Young cat just went into labor help please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can put the kittens by the nipples.  Their sucking will bring the milk in.   For the first couple days the mom will be producing colostrum.

What is the mom doing?

@sarthur2

She's been laying she finished giving birth 6pmish and around 830pm got up to eat soft kitten food. I researched that kitten food helps the mom. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Then 1130pm a little more soft food she hasn't touched the hard food but did drink water.

She keeps switching sides. She seems a little uncomfortable. I put gloves on and helped them find nipples since some are not working.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they are a suckling, they don't need help. If they weren't able to get anything out of the nipple, they would cry, just like a human baby that was given a pacifier when they're hungry. Mama sounds like she's got e everything under control. You need a scale so you can track their weights daily. Unless they're failing to gain adequate weight, there's no need to help. Honestly, mama cat knows what to do. You just have to let her do it. It's good that you're staying on top of things but just relax.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's been laying she finished giving birth 6pmish and around 830pm got up to eat soft kitten food. I researched that kitten food helps the mom. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Then 1130pm a little more soft food she hasn't touched the hard food but did drink water.

She keeps switching sides. She seems a little uncomfortable. I put gloves on and helped them find nipples since some are not working.
You don't need gloves. Just wash your hands to protect from germs. It's okay to touch them. Mom is uncomfortable. Birth is painful. Her nipples are likely working. For a few days, she will only produce colostrum. You don't need to stimulate the nipples. The babies do it instinctively. If you mess with her nipples to much, you can waste the colostrum and the babies need it. There isn't a lot of it.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really do not need to wear gloves when handling the kittens.  You can try to give the runt a little KMR, but it won't be easy.  Are you sure he isn't getting any milk?  Look at the kittens bellies.  If they are getting food the bellies will get round.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Walmart is good for an inexpensive scale.  Or Target.  It doesn't need to be fancy.  Make sure it weighs in grams or 1/10 of an ounce.  A digital scale is easier to read.

You should pick up a small syringe as well.  1 - 2 ml/cc.  Nursing kittens rarely take a bottle.

Is the nest big enough for mom to lay down without laying on the kittens?  She may need a bigger space.  Keep watch, she can squish the kittens.

Thank you so very much for all your help today. I don't know how without your support I got thru. I think she needs a bigger place you are right it is long but width . Cardboard boxes are high I wanted something low. Recommendations please

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use a cardboard box and cut out one side.  Leave a small lip so the kittens can't get out yet.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to supplement one of the kittens you need patience.  It takes a couple tries and you do not want to get any KMR in the kittens lungs.  Hold the kitten tummy down, head up - like the kitten is feeding at mom's side.  Using the syringe, put 1 - 2 drops in the side of the mouth.  Wait for the kitten to swallow and take a breath.  Then repeat.  The kitten and the formula must both be warm.  Not hot! but warm.  Feed the kitten 1 - 2 mls then burp the kitten.

There are a few ways to hold the kitten for burping.  On your shoulder, your forearm or in the palm of your hand and gently pat or rub the back.   Out the kitten back to mom's nipples to see if she will feed from mom.  Mom still needs the kittens to suckle to bring the milk in.  Also the first couple of days the mom is producing colostrum which is full of antibodies the kittens need.

I am giving you these instructions because at some point I am going to bed and you may need them.  Remember, more knowledgeable people than I have advised waiting.  However it the tiny kitten is crying and the belly isn't filling give it a little KMR.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, they are not going to starve to death in a short time, there is not much you need to be doing, they will get their warmth from mom too.
You will drive yourself crazy if you watch every move they or she makes, just relax, nature has a way and it's worked for many, many years :)

Having 5, just know that the smallest one is likely going to need your help with supplementing, because it will not be allowed to nurse off of the best lower nipples, and they tend to get pushed away over and over, then give up and nap, then repeats, this goes on long enough that the smallest is unable to thrive and ends up dying.
But not needed if you are aware and prepared.

I am making priority for the tiny one to get a nipple he is latching but I don't know if anything is coming out. I tried checking that all of them have a nipple and they do I directed them. They are not crying. When do I know to start supplementing please let me know

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a scale?  The easiest way to determine if the kitten needs supplementing is by weight gain or lack of.  The kittens should gain a minimum of 6 - 10 grams or .2 - .4 ounces a day.  When you weigh the kittens be sure to do it within sight of the mom so she knows they are safe.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a scale?  The easiest way to determine if the kitten needs supplementing is by weight gain or lack of.  The kittens should gain a minimum of 6 - 10 grams or .2 - .4 ounces a day.  When you weigh the kittens be sure to do it within sight of the mom so she knows they are safe.

I haven't left them I will get scale tomorrow. Okay I will do thank you.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you decide to supplement one of the kittens you need patience.  It takes a couple tries and you do not want to get any KMR in the kittens lungs.  Hold the kitten tummy down, head up - like the kitten is feeding at mom's side.  Using the syringe, put 1 - 2 drops in the side of the mouth.  Wait for the kitten to swallow and take a breath.  Then repeat.  The kitten and the formula must both be warm.  Not hot! but warm.  Feed the kitten 1 - 2 mls then burp the kitten.

There are a few ways to hold the kitten for burping.  On your shoulder, your forearm or in the palm of your hand and gently pat or rub the back.   Out the kitten back to mom's nipples to see if she will feed from mom.  Mom still needs the kittens to suckle to bring the milk in.  Also the first couple of days the mom is producing colostrum which is full of antibodies the kittens need.

I am giving you these instructions because at some point I am going to bed and you may need them.  Remember, more knowledgeable people than I have advised waiting.  However it the tiny kitten is crying and the belly isn't filling give it a little KMR.

Thank you I did check and all are latched I don't know if the nipples they are latched to have milk. I'll check for tummies being fuller. There's not to much crying just when she left for a few minutes to eat and drink water. I will hold off but thank you for the instructions because through the night I won't know till next feeding which will be soon. I'm timing 2 to 3 hours. They seem okay right now but the small one is wobbly when she left and he tried to walk but he is latched when I checked I just don't know about the milk and I won't squeeze or stimulate anymore. Thank you so very much. I'll be up all night trying my best.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they are a suckling, they don't need help. If they weren't able to get anything out of the nipple, they would cry, just like a human baby that was given a pacifier when they're hungry. Mama sounds like she's got e everything under control. You need a scale so you can track their weights daily. Unless they're failing to gain adequate weight, there's no need to help. Honestly, mama cat knows what to do. You just have to let her do it. It's good that you're staying on top of things but just relax.
Yes that makes sense. I'm hoping he is quiet because he is latched and milk is coming out. They are all pretty vocal but once latched they are quiet. No constant crying which is good sign. Thank u I'm so very grateful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have been well advised to stop worrying and to wait for 24 hours and to advise us of their weights while the kittens adjust to their mama.

Why can you not do this?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @sarthur2  , you must relax, you are only causing momma to feel your stress and she will be uneasy.

Just relaaaaaxxx........ slow yourself down, deep breaths, everything is going just as any other new family does, they are all going to be fine.

You do not need to do anything, nothing. Only observe is all. No need to help them latch on, rotate, supplement, warm, nothing.

What you CAN do though, is tomorrow, go and get yourself a small scale that weighs in grams/ounces. Then you will list the babies and write their weights down, make a note of what time it is.

Then the next day you will weigh them again at the same time, write it down, and tell us here.

That's it! 

They all appear great, good sizes, etc. Mom will get her milk in soon enough, it comes when it comes. Their sucking now is good, the colostrum satisfies them and gives them protection from mom's antibodies to prevent getting viruses until they can be vaccinated, but that won't start for some time of course.

Their nursing now is all the stimulation needed to get the milk coming in.

Unless the cords are more than 2 inches and may be a danger of getting wrapped around a leg or something, leave them the way they are for now.

dragonflyaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been a long day for you and Simba, you have both done wonderfully. I took in my stray baby girl, about 8 months old, around for 7 weeks ago. She gave birth to 4 kittens on Wednesday. I too, had never had a pregnant cat of all the animals I've taken in. It was the most fascinating yet terrifying experience in my 36 years. I called my vet immediately the next morning, and I'm going to share some things with you. First, calm down my dear. The things you are going to see in the next 48 hours are nature. She wants your help, with fresh water, clean litter, and a supply of food. But she doesn't want you messing with her cubs. You could end up stressing her out enough to leave them. She is going to bond with each of them. The little guy will be ok, and if not, you first must let him figure it out. Her nipples may not all be producing milk since it's only been hours, but they will as the kittens stimulate them. Please stop interfering with her time, she will teach them, and it's her job to do it. Little guy may need your help, but not today, and not tomorrow. If you take over, he will not know what to do. In 5 days, if he is still looking behind, then supplement every 6 hours or so. I want you to be able to help Simba. The most help you can be is to let her follow the course of nature and be a mom. Please do this for her.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have been well advised to stop worrying and to wait for 24 hours and to advise us of their weights while the kittens adjust to their mama.

Why can you not do this?
Sorry I am all alone and I will listen to everyone thank you. You are right. I am overwhelmed with my dog of 13 years passing away recently. Trying to stay strong. I am really trying my best. I don't mean to bother you but I went to eat in kitchen and I came back and simba was laying outside of the box near food she ate a little and didn't want to go back inside. The kitten are all together and I placed her inside and this is how she is. Is this ok? That they are sleeping away from mom right now. Thank you

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with @sarthur2
 , you must relax, you are only causing momma to feel your stress and she will be uneasy.

Just relaaaaaxxx........ slow yourself down, deep breaths, everything is going just as any other new family does, they are all going to be fine.
You do not need to do anything, nothing. Only observe is all. No need to help them latch on, rotate, supplement, warm, nothing.

What you CAN do though, is tomorrow, go and get yourself a small scale that weighs in grams/ounces. Then you will list the babies and write their weights down, make a note of what time it is.
Then the next day you will weigh them again at the same time, write it down, and tell us here.

That's it! 
They all appear great, good sizes, etc. Mom will get her milk in soon enough, it comes when it comes. Their sucking now is good, the colostrum satisfies them and gives them protection from mom's antibodies to prevent getting viruses until they can be vaccinated, but that won't start for some time of course.
Their nursing now is all the stimulation needed to get the milk coming in.

Unless the cords are more than 2 inches and may be a danger of getting wrapped around a leg or something, leave them the way they are for now.

Thank you do your kind words and I apologize for my anxiety. I will listen and do what everyone says to do. I just want everything to go ok and from everyone's support and advice I think it is. I will get the scale and take it from there.

Ps is this normal I came from a quick bite in kitchen to simba laying out of the box. I will be getting a bigger box like suggested and cut one side and leave a Lower lid. She didn't want to go inside I placed her and this is how she looks right now. If this common to leave newborns on other Side while they sleep. As I'm writing this she now left the box and is outside laying down the babies seem to be waking up. This is the pick before she just got out of the box again. I will try placing her back. Thank you.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been a long day for you and Simba, you have both done wonderfully. I took in my stray baby girl, about 8 months old, around for 7 weeks ago. She gave birth to 4 kittens on Wednesday. I too, had never had a pregnant cat of all the animals I've taken in. It was the most fascinating yet terrifying experience in my 36 years. I called my vet immediately the next morning, and I'm going to share some things with you. First, calm down my dear. The things you are going to see in the next 48 hours are nature. She wants your help, with fresh water, clean litter, and a supply of food. But she doesn't want you messing with her cubs. You could end up stressing her out enough to leave them. She is going to bond with each of them. The little guy will be ok, and if not, you first must let him figure it out. Her nipples may not all be producing milk since it's only been hours, but they will as the kittens stimulate them. Please stop interfering with her time, she will teach them, and it's her job to do it. Little guy may need your help, but not today, and not tomorrow. If you take over, he will not know what to do. In 5 days, if he is still looking behind, then supplement every 6 hours or so. I want you to be able to help Simba. The most help you can be is to let her follow the course of nature and be a mom. Please do this for her.
Thank you so much. I am feeling better. I just ate my first meal because I didn't know what to do. The babies are sleeping in box alone is that ok? She right outside of them since they are sleeping should I just wait to put her back for a feeding when they away which should be shortly. I was a little surprised to find her laying outside and not with him but I didn't react I just placed her back inside she stayed a little and now she is next to them but out of box on floor. They are moving around a little but not yet crying for her. I will place her back in. Ps that is wonderful you rescued her. Congratulations! I think I'll be okay. I just had a rough summer and a lot of sadness and now this is a time to be happy which I am. Thank you again.

dragonflyaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I am all alone and I will listen to everyone thank you. You are right. I am overwhelmed with my dog of 13 years passing away recently. Trying to stay strong. I am really trying my best. I don't mean to bother you but I went to eat in kitchen and I came back and simba was laying outside of the box near food she ate a little and didn't want to go back inside. The kitten are all together and I placed her inside and this is how she is. Is this ok? That they are sleeping away from mom right now.

You are doing fine. Your loss of your dog causes fear, and that makes sense. But the passing of one has nothing to do with the other. I can relate to the pain. My cat, Zephra, of 14 years passed away from cancer 3 months ago. Then 2 pet chickens in recent weeks that I had for years. When my girl went into labor, I freaked out, thought the first kitten was dead. She did fine. But I also backed off and she fell in love with them. They need her, not you, as hard as that is. All life is destined, we cannot interfere. That little guy will be ok, or he will not, but she will know what to do first. Just let it be and you will be ok too.