Young cat just went into labor help please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she like being under the ironing board, put a towel there and move the kittens to that spot.  She feels safe and you can see what is going on.

If Simba is that warm, put the AC on low.  See if that makes a difference.  She needs to find a spot where she is comfortable and can relax  for now let her move the kittens and leave them be, just watch until you're sure they are ok.

Please get some sleep.  You will be calmer.  Simba will pick up on your stress and it will add to hers.
They are in corner behind box on tile I put a towel but they are on the tile it's cool not cold. Been sleeping. She's been feeding them and eating I noticed in between my sleep. AC is on low and she is much better. I sensed it when she was leaving box and instead of laying right in front of it she went to tile to cool off. Thank you

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cannot understand why she keeps moving her babies. I guess she does not feel safe. Is she your only pet? Or is there a dog?

Will she stay in the closet? Do you have a heating pad to set on low under the fleece for the kittens and then run your a/c on low?

Do you have a table you can cover with a sheet or blanket and put the fleece on the floor underneath and put them under there and then leave them be?

This is getting absurd and you need sleep.
Yes there is a dog and cat but are upstairs I am in studio apartment downstairs. She is separated. But they never got along. I have an odd setup for living quarters. I am observing from a far today. She has them in corner by shoe rack on tile behind the big cardboard box I put. I did put a towel that was in the box they were born in but they are altogether on the tile. The tile is cool not cold and ac on low and she seems to be in better spirits. I noticed yesterday it must of been the weather too hot even with a fan because instead of laying outside of,box on wooden floor she went on tile laying away from them. But she seems ok,and the babies when I checked in between sleep were latched or sleepng so today atleast now I will take a step back and sleep. I am very exhausted. Thank you. Will keep you posted. God doesn't give you anything you can't handle so I. Will continue to try my best. :rbheart:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Allow her to choose where she wants to be, then place a towel down, not fleece as it must be too warm for her.

Then gather her kids and put them with her.

She is choosing for privacy, safety and comfort.

This is mom will seek.

My question about looking at the orange baby's chest and comparing it, meaning the area above the tummy where the ribs meet, does is curve outward slightly or does it appear flat?

It would be looking at one of the bigger babies to see the normal shape, then look at the small crying baby to see if it also curves the same way or if it appears flat.

If you can't be sure, try posting clear pics of the chest/tummy area front view and side view if possible.

Just trying to figure out why the one baby cries often and isn't latching so well.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Allow her to choose where she wants to be, then place a towel down, not fleece as it must be too warm for her.

This is mom will seek.

My question about looking at the orange baby's chest and comparing it, meaning the area above the tummy where the ribs meet, does is curve outward slightly or does it appear flat?
It would be looking at one of the bigger babies to see the normal shape, then look at the small crying baby to see if it also curves the same way or if it appears flat.

If you can't be sure, try posting clear pics of the chest/tummy area front view and side view if possible.

Just trying to figure out why the one baby cries often and isn't latching so well.
Hi okay I will try to look or take pictures but because of her moving them I have been not going to near if I hear crying I check quickly latch the tiny orange or another one on. Or I do a quick random check they are all keeping piled or latched to mom. I did put towel but she moved it she goes back and forth from being on towel or tile. It's a smaller space then the box but a cooler one. I'll try to take a Picture. She's eating good. The babies are even choosing the tile because the towel is right there literally a few inches a way. I don't want to make Simba uncomfortable. The tile is cool not freezing. Mother instincts. Think u ;)

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How warm is it in your house?

I don't have a thermometer but where she is she seems happy. I did have ac on low then took it of just to keeproom cool and now fan to circulate. When they were born it was warm but never hot. She just loves the cold.

Can I ask you should I weigh them tonight since she was moving them earlier or skip a day. I just think she wants to be alone with them. I was right there for birth cutting cords and maybe she just wants privacy. I don't know please advise. Thank you :rbheart:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wait until tomorrow as long as you feel they are all nursing well. I know you have concerns about the smallest, so please do weigh them in the morning.

Has she left them where she moved them for now?

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wait until tomorrow as long as you feel they are all nursing well. I know you have concerns about the smallest, so please do weigh them in the morning.

Has she left them where she moved them for now?

Hi They are in same place thankfully don't know if that will change because she started moving them at 5am yesterday. Crossing fingers they will stay put. But she is spending more time with them not laying away so she must of been hot. I have a good temperature in room. She did come by me simba after she ate and was affectionate. She's going near the door or window both closed. I know she loves the freedom of fresh air. The little ones if I hear crying I go but I think as days going on they are getting better. The bigger ones were crying today but I latched them on also. They fight for same nipple. Sometimes 3 will be sleeping together and 2 still by Simba. Sometimes they are latched and she gets up to eat they cry and go to sleep.

I'm slowly learning.

Yes I will weigh and report here. Thank you so very much :-)

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weights are in! :rbheart:
Monday weigh in was skipped because of Simba moving them and wanted to give privacy.

Today Aug18th Tuesday below

How did they do?

Saturday Sunday Tuesday
Orange 1- 4.2oz. 4.8oz. 6.0oz
Orange 2- 4.3oz. 4.6oz. 5.7oz
Orange 3- 3.6oz. 4.0oz. 4.8oz
Black - 4.5oz. 4.8oz. 5.7oz
Grey - 3.5oz. 4.0oz. 4.8oz.

The marking of the marker on tail vanished on orange 1 and 2 but I think those are the right ones from looking at the other days but will remark because they are twins :vibes:

Please feedback thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are doing well :).

Has Simba left them where they are for today?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to redo the marks every couple days.  Looks like they are doing well.  How about you?  Stressing less?

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are doing well :).

Has Simba left them where they are for today?

Hi so far so good. Yes they are in the same place. She moves them to towel and sometimes she feeds them on tile. It's a corner of room.Keeping room at good temperature. I'm very proud of her. :-)

The only thing today was I felt bad was when she left them she ate and then started crying to me and going to the door and window. I was trying to pet her and talk to her gave her treats she didn't want them she did eat them later on. Jumping on furniture crying to go outside. She wanted to go outside so badly. When she realized she couldn't she used the litter box. Then went back to the babies. Is this common anything I can do to calm her. She was a feral stray kitten herself. She is about 1 year old. She does love the fresh air so I do think its difficult. She has toys she hasn't used but she did use today her scratcher cardboard which she hasn't since the babies came. Is this a normal reaction of wanting some fresh air?

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need to redo the marks every couple days.  Looks like they are doing well.  How about you?  Stressing less?

Yes I did everyday but skipped one day I think Simba licks them off. I will remark. Those 2 orange are so similar. I do it over the tail maybe under the tail I can mark.

Glad to,hear they are doing well.

Thank you for asking about me. I have never gone through this and as beautiful experience it was very scary for me. am everyday getting better. I don't show her or act worry in front of her. I been having a lot of anxiety about finding homes. I have reached out to a few rescue places but no response. I want forever homes for these kittens when the times comes they can be adopted. I refuse to ever bring to shelter or kill shelter. Alot of places that are great have very long wait.lists. I am in New York and it's just such n overpopulation as is everywhere. If I had an apartment or house I would keep them all. I love them all dearly.

I am so thankful and I keep,saying it but doing this alone without your help and the other wonderful people I wouldn't have know what to do.

If you know of what steps to find forever homes please share. I even told when I contacted if the people adopting wasn't a good fit or something down the line even years from now no questions asked I would take them back. I would never want an animal to end up thrown away. When selecting or interviewing people I would like to know more if you can share. A friend whose cat passed away recently wants to adopt one of Simba kittens but she works 7 days a week single and for 12 hours. I would never want an adult cat let alone a kitten alone for all that time. I declined. Kittens need a lot of affection. My animals are my family.

:rbheart:

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This is mom will seek.

I tried to do quickly today to compare but Simba was a little nervous and it seemed the same from tiny orange and bigger orange. I have to look more into it. I notice the black who is bigger needed help crawling to find a nipple on top of everyone. All of them cry at some point. I'm observing that the tiny orange is doing a little better. :rbheart:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's normal if she is accustomed to going outside every day, but she just cannot right now. We always advise cats staying in with their babies because anything can happen. They can go into heat and disappear for 2-3 days. They can get injured or killed. They can pick up fleas and parasites. Even missing one feeding leaves starving kittens.

I know it's hard not to let her out when she cries, but she's got a few weeks yet to go until weaning and spaying. She'll just have to deal with it. Outside will still be there down the road.

I'm real pleased with the weights. I hope the gains continue! :)

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's normal if she is accustomed to going outside every day, but she just cannot right now. We always advise cats staying in with their babies because anything can happen. They can go into heat and disappear for 2-3 days. They can get injured or killed. They can pick up fleas and parasites. Even missing one feeding leaves starving kittens.

I know it's hard not to let her out when she cries, but she's got a few weeks yet to go until weaning and spaying. She'll just have to deal with it. Outside will still be there down the road.

I'm real pleased with the weights. I hope the gains continue! :)

Thank you so much I felt so bad today she ws crying and meowing so much I opened the first door so she could look out but she wasn't having it. I totally agree. She escaped out by the ac because there is a hole thru window that's how she got pregnant. I did board and tape it up and secured it. I would go outside with her up instill a few days before her pregnancy. I know how much she love the air. Yes of course I would not ever want anything to happen to her.

I think I feel so much better that the weights are going up. I'm so happy. Hope the gains continue also! Thank you :rbheart:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think for now things seem good, all around.

Is the small orange still crying alot more than the others or no?

Weight gain looks good, the 3 biggies are biggies! :)

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think for now things seem good, all around.
Is the small orange still crying alot more than the others or no?

Weight gain looks good, the 3 biggies are biggies! :)
Hi the tiny orange has calmed down. She crys but not as much.I noticed earlier the black one was crying. Even the nig oramge today and hes so big. They all cry at some point. It gets a little crazy at feeding time because they are all climbing moving everywhere.I'll post some pics I have from day 3 before she moved them and hopefully tomorrow I can take a few. Simba is very petite and young I Seriosuly never thought ever she could birth that many. God bless them. ♡