What's the weather and temperature like where you live??

Do you like the weather where you live?

• Yes I love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I detest it

Votes: 24 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 It is in the lower 50s + temps are dropping. Wind is strong and COLD. Brrrrrrrr!!! 

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
freezing rain this morning. 28ish at the house. 34 at work. pouring rain. Supposed to be 50s later. the slush left from yesterday's storm kept me from rolling off the road. fun times! then freezr tonight all over again.
We had freezing rain last night, after a night of over a foot of snowfall. I had to work most of the day, so had to go out driving in it. Ugh, I hate freezing rain! Not only is it dangerous, it ruins the nice fresh snow we could be skiing on!
We're getting sunny breaks today so it's nice and bright out, not that I want to actually go out. :D

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday we had a high of 35F and everything was coated in ice.   Today it is 61F!   Unfortunately it is also pouring rain so it's another day to stay indoors.  

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you must be absolutely baking in this heat :D , it's 55F outside and 65F inside and this is SoCal! Bright  sunshine, no cloud in the sky, humidity at 35% so it feels cooler than it is. I'm wearing layers with a cashmere pullover on top and I'm still cold. Wimpy!
It is too hot to be outside :D

I guess there is not very heavy insulation in buildings there? My house is not very well insulated to our standards, but it does not get much colder than 60F, floor is almost at same temp all the time and near ceiling it is bit hotter after burning wood in stove, but slowly temp near ceiling goes near what it is at floor and does not decrease much from there.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's 9°F outside. 0°F with the wind. I'm glad I'm bundled up inside by the fireplace.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's -4F (-22C) here. I got swarmed by cats this evening, both wanting to snuggle. They must have been cold as they usually don't like to share.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
It is too hot to be outside

I guess there is not very heavy insulation in buildings there? My house is not very well insulated to our standards, but it does not get much colder than 60F, floor is almost at same temp all the time and near ceiling it is bit hotter after burning wood in stove, but slowly temp near ceiling goes near what it is at floor and does not decrease much from there.
The buildings here in warm climates are not insulated at all, just the attics and there is not much of them, it's just an empty space above the ceilings. Where it's colder buildings are  different but you'd have to ask one who lives there to ascertain how they build houses and apartments there. I'm still used to European way of building and consider the way they build in warm climates here as being ticky-tacky. In earthquake country this makes some sense, would not want brick walls to fall down on you. Lath and plaster has some give and will not just fall. Really tall building made from steel and rebar and glass and concrete are usually on rollers so that they can withstand the rolling motion of an earthquake. and they do "bend" a bit.  Although I do wonder about adobe which is solid clay mostly and that does not fall down either, but nobody builds with adobe anymore, it's considered to be "native" kind of building, cool in the summer, warm in the winter and the walls are really thick. People here either have heaters attached to the walls running on gas or electricity, or central heat with outlets in every room, and fireplaces mostly for looks, space heaters (electric), or they have propane or gas heaters also attached to walls, some have "pebble stoves' which burn a kind of wood pressed into pebbles and leave very little ash. Some places, mostly in the East , they burn oil to keep warm and way out in the sticks they still have wood burning stoves for heat, some burn coal or fire places with either logs or gas logs. most people will not put up with temps under 70 to be comfortable and over 72 in the summer when they run the air conditioners or at least fans. yes, people are spoiled here and do not put up with extreme temps if they can help it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
@DreamerRose, that's a nice picture. Around here (central PA), we have a scant amount of snow left after the rain from Sunday. The local weatherweenies said last night that we have a 20% chance of a white Christmas. 

Right now, we're right around 23 degrees with a chill of 15 degrees. We are to get up to around 28 with sun. The wind isn't too bad this morning....so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
14 degrees this morning-still dark. got out of the house 15 min earlier than normal for a change. 18 degrees at work by the seacoast. Supposed to be 22 all day. brrrr. no kitties on my chest last night.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the comments on my snow pic. We must have a foot of snow on the ground, and it's just as cold today as it was yesterday. Our neighborhood hasn't been plowed yet, which is very unusual.

@JTbo  - Our houses are very well insulated, both the walls and ceilings. It may be part of the building code. Most of our homes have central heat, either forced air or radiators. I don't know of anyone who uses fireplaces or space heaters for heating. I keep the thermostat at 70 degrees F during the day in the winter and 76 degrees F in the summer.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The buildings here in warm climates are not insulated at all, just the attics and there is not much of them, it's just an empty space above the ceilings. Where it's colder buildings are  different but you'd have to ask one who lives there to ascertain how they build houses and apartments there. I'm still used to European way of building and consider the way they build in warm climates here as being ticky-tacky. In earthquake country this makes some sense, would not want brick walls to fall down on you. Lath and plaster has some give and will not just fall. Really tall building made from steel and rebar and glass and concrete are usually on rollers so that they can withstand the rolling motion of an earthquake. and they do "bend" a bit.  Although I do wonder about adobe which is solid clay mostly and that does not fall down either, but nobody builds with adobe anymore, it's considered to be "native" kind of building, cool in the summer, warm in the winter and the walls are really thick. People here either have heaters attached to the walls running on gas or electricity, or central heat with outlets in every room, and fireplaces mostly for looks, space heaters (electric), or they have propane or gas heaters also attached to walls, some have "pebble stoves' which burn a kind of wood pressed into pebbles and leave very little ash. Some places, mostly in the East , they burn oil to keep warm and way out in the sticks they still have wood burning stoves for heat, some burn coal or fire places with either logs or gas logs. most people will not put up with temps under 70 to be comfortable and over 72 in the summer when they run the air conditioners or at least fans. yes, people are spoiled here and do not put up with extreme temps if they can help it.
I think insulation would save AC running costs, but I guess in earthquake insulation might get shoved out from the walls, it is soft though, until few hundred pounds of it sits on your chest that is!

In South here they use electric heating quite a lot, one southern person was wording very strongly against burning coal and advertising electricity, I have not hear from that person after I pointed out that their electricity comes from coal at the winter time. These days lot less I guess, but worlds most expensive and longest power plant build is not going to be ready any time soon, so they have to use coal little longer.

At 60's people moved from burning sticks to oil, at 70's to electricity, quite many moved to oil at 80's and 90's, now they are finding burning sticks a requirement to survive again as everything but paycheck has gone up so much.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a bad day. No wind, 26 degrees, bright. Sidewalks are all cleared of snow so wasn't frightened of ice on my daily walk. Would have liked first snow to hold off until the New Year, but we got it Saturday.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, temps were around 33F today, there was good shower of water and thick ice on roads became quite smooth and nice to ride with bicycle, but it is too hot, I had only outermost shell of clothing (with underwear of course) and was sweating a lot even I did ride only few miles with the bicycle.

Quite thick fog, no need to start motorcycle as carburetor will freeze solid in a flash!

Status
Not open for further replies.