What's the weather and temperature like where you live??

Do you like the weather where you live?

• Yes I love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I detest it

Votes: 24 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Brutal summers? There's a oxymoron for you.
It's viciously hot and humid here most of the year so we really look forward to our "winters". We have no fall and no spring. It goes from hot to not as hot. I'll take it over any snow any day though. Snow is the root of all evil. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why people settled here. We have brutal summers AND brutal winters :eek:. Oh well. Keeps the riff-raff out :lol3:.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why people settled here. We have brutal summers AND brutal winters :eek:. Oh well. Keeps the riff-raff out :lol3:.
It's amazing how your ancestors chose the states that they did. Personally, I would not live anywhere near the Canadian border, but the original Scandinavian settlers of Minnesota loved it because it reminded them of home.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's amazing how your ancestors chose the states that they did. Personally, I would not live anywhere near the Canadian border, but the original Scandinavian settlers of Minnesota loved it because it reminded them of home.
Yeah, Swedes, Danes, and Norwegians in this area, mostly. Russians and Germans too. I guess it's better than Siberia, maybe :tongue2:. As for my personal family. . .complicated! Only my mom's family is from around here. And both of my parents grew up in Panama. It's a long story, lol.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Swedes, Danes, and Norwegians in this area, mostly. Russians and Germans too. I guess it's better than Siberia, maybe :tongue2:. As for my personal family. . .complicated! Only my mom's family is from around here. And both of my parents grew up in Panama. It's a long story, lol.
Personally, if I were Scandinavian, I would have chosen Florida!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People settled here because they did not get along with other people, also food was getting low, so it was mostly territorial and staying alive issue.

Who in their right minds would think then to move to place that has 9 months of cold and rain/snow, 2 months of not so cold and rain and if you are lucky 1 month with not so much of rain and even bit of warmth, but I guess they had rather big issues with other people choosing this over what they had at warmer area.

Ok, about 8 months completely without insects, 2-3 months are quite bad though, but if you manage that, then it is nice, no biting, nothing (if you don't count ice and snow) hits your face when riding bike etc.

During winter indoor moisture levels are recommended to be kept below 45% here, they claim it is ok to have 20%, even studies show 45-55% moisture level would be optimal for humans, because of cold buildings would not stay well above 45% moisture levels, again one reason why this place is not very suitable for permanent settlement.

42 degrees today, still the same temp, it was raining and so dark outside that at noon I felt that I need to get flashlight to read at outdoors.

I would take below freezing temps over this mud fest, riding bike is like riding in tar.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it true that alcohol abuse is a big problem for Finns? (Funny question, I know, coming from a Brit.)
There is even special gene mutation in finns related to that. http://www.livescience.com/9197-impulsive-gene-identified-finnish-men.html

It is about same as in Alaska at least what I have seen from documentaries.

I don't drink, I don't see any point in that, whole society seems to revolve around alcohol, most of the local weekend traffic is alcohol related for example, there is really a lot of people that just have to get drunk every weekend, but of course from my point of view it looks much worse than it probably is.

Statistics show that over 20% gets drunk every weekend, also 20% of children lives in family where there is at least some alcohol abuse, not sure if that is a lot or not, but what I have seen, world would be better without all that.

As I don't see point why to get head messed up, all such activity appears to me as problematic, but how much more alcohol is problem to finns than some other nationalities, it is hard to say, surely it feels like being big problem that is mostly denied, but is it really a problem or if it is same elsewhere too?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Yeah, Swedes, Danes, and Norwegians in this area, mostly. Russians and Germans too. I guess it's better than Siberia, maybe
. As for my personal family. . .complicated! Only my mom's family is from around here. And both of my parents grew up in Panama. It's a long story, lol.
Your parents must really be freezing, I suppose they moved to where they had family to entice them to move to a place that has weather like yours.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is even special gene mutation in finns related to that. http://www.livescience.com/9197-impulsive-gene-identified-finnish-men.html

It is about same as in Alaska at least what I have seen from documentaries.

I don't drink, I don't see any point in that, whole society seems to revolve around alcohol, most of the local weekend traffic is alcohol related for example, there is really a lot of people that just have to get drunk every weekend, but of course from my point of view it looks much worse than it probably is.

Statistics show that over 20% gets drunk every weekend, also 20% of children lives in family where there is at least some alcohol abuse, not sure if that is a lot or not, but what I have seen, world would be better without all that.

As I don't see point why to get head messed up, all such activity appears to me as problematic, but how much more alcohol is problem to finns than some other nationalities, it is hard to say, surely it feels like being big problem that is mostly denied, but is it really a problem or if it is same elsewhere too?
We were always told in England that Finns & Scandinavians to some extent are prone to melancholia due to the long dark cold winters. This always made sense to me as I think I would drink too given those circumstances.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your parents must really be freezing, I suppose they moved to where they had family to entice them to move to a place that has weather like yours.
Yeah, my mom's parents lived here (my grandma is still alive but my grandpa died in 2003), and that's why they chose here when my dad retired from the Navy. Also---kind of weird---when you live overseas, even military, you get the impression that most of the US is crime-ridden and filthy. Since we had visited here and knew that it wasn't crime-ridden and filthy, we felt safe. Of course, most of the US is just fine. But that's not what you hear about overseas! Looking back, we should have moved to Oregon, Northern California, or Washington state. We don't fit in here. But now we all have jobs and are kind of stuck with the place.

It's not that bad! With the modern conveniences of snowplows, central heat, cable/internet, and nice cars, we can all keep a fairly normal life even when it's 40 below out there :tongue2:.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not often, lol. But, yes, sometimes. Usually late January is the coldest. We usually get a streak of way-below-zero for a couple of weeks. Also it can get as high as 112 in the summer. But, again, not often. The weather just likes to remind us what it's capable of now and then :lol3:.

OK, here's the climate info for Sioux Falls. It says the highest temp recorded was about 110 and the lowest was -31. Mind you, I don't live in Sioux Falls, but fairly close (I'm actually in Sioux Falls right now, shopping!). And the weather can be very different even 20 miles away. But just for the idea: http://www.climatespy.com/climate/summary/united-states/south-dakota/sioux-falls

It's very common for windchill to get to -40 but getting there in raw temps is not so common. But -20 raw temp isn't rare. Less common now though. The lowest it got last winter was -16.

In Little House on the Prairie she mentions getting 10+ feet of snow a few times! That doesn't happen anymore, thankfully.

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not often, lol. But, yes, sometimes. Usually late January is the coldest. We usually get a streak of way-below-zero for a couple of weeks. Also it can get as high as 112 in the summer. But, again, not often. The weather just likes to remind us what it's capable of now and then :lol3:.

OK, here's the climate info for Sioux Falls. It says the highest temp recorded was about 110 and the lowest was -31. Mind you, I don't live in Sioux Falls, but fairly close (I'm actually in Sioux Falls right now, shopping!). And the weather can be very different even 20 miles away. But just for the idea: http://www.climatespy.com/climate/summary/united-states/south-dakota/sioux-falls

It's very common for windchill to get to -40 but getting there in raw temps is not so common. But -20 raw temp isn't rare. Less common now though. The lowest it got last winter was -16.

In Little House on the Prairie she mentions getting 10+ feet of snow a few times! That doesn't happen anymore, thankfully.
10 degrees is about as low as I can stand. Funny thing is how we in Connecticut bitch & moan about the weather, but ours is nothing compared to northern states. And the schools close here for the smallest amount of snow. Today was thirty six degrees and I hated it.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What? Does it really get that cold? That's even colder than what JTbo describes in Finland and that's farther north than where you live.
Depends from the day really, gulf stream does weird things when winds blow from west.

Currently my thermometer shows -5 degrees, albeit I doubt that a bit as I see it is still raining water and we are having this western heat still on us, it gets below freezing again soon, right when wind starts to blow from north or east. So we can have quite warm for this north or more normal for this north, it is effect of sea areas.

Middle northern US could have more severe winters as there is no nearby sea to warm it up, also while Alaska is partly at similar level to us, it is quite large area and when away from coastal areas it will be a lot more brutal winters than we have, so in a way we get it easy.

Oh and it is really amazing how much untruthful information newspapers puts out these days, here it is at times almost like that our country is best and rest are developing nations and when I know quite bit more than what newspapers tell about the world, I can very well disagree with those news, Russia gets probably most of the bad press and still there are just normal cat lovers living trying to do their best and somehow manage to next month like at every other country.

From there you can find what brutal winters really mean, how -90 degrees raw temp sounds, no shelter from the wind just open land good breeze added to that?

I would not want to experience such and knowing how money goes to few cities and those cold places have to live mostly on their own, it is amazing how people there survive.
http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2013/02/a-siberian-winter/100464/

We get just small taste of that between January and February if winds blow from east.

It is 41 degrees now that thermometer recovered from whatever bug it had, not much snow or ice left anymore and after few days we should get back to below freezing.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
All these pictures and tales about cold temps makes me cold right here in my warm apartment and it's about 55F outside at 6 pm. Why people ever settled in these cold places originally is beyond me, You'd think they would have just kept on going until they got to warmer places.  

Status
Not open for further replies.