Shelter cat is broken and super depressed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning when I went for her she ran through the house like a lunatic. I think she knew. Sat in her carrier and glared at the world. She's in the dentist's hands. We'll know more this afternoon.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That is a lot of extractions! Poor baby must have been in a ton of pain.. Of course you are to blame!! You are her Mama-- Mama always gets the blame. Was she given any pain meds? It will take several days for her to get back to her 'normal' self ~ or hopefully, better than normal.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have adopted a cat that was set to be euthanized, but she was not in a shelter as long as this. While she needs time to decompress,it would be good if she has time around you. I would go in there with her, take a book, a tablet or your phone sit down and see what happens. You do not need to actively try to engage her .Talk on the phone or whatever.The more you are in there the more she will realize your not going anywhere.Eventually she should come out and at least start to be more curious about you and hopefully more trusting.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is an excellent sign that you are able to pick her up and groom her. You may be making more progress than you think and it was incredibly kind of you to give her a home.

I have rescued cats from bad situations over the years, most either strays or ferals or some combination of the two. If things were bad enough, they do come in shut down and terrified. For all they know, it could be worse than it ever was until they figure out that it is not.

We are all making guesses here, but I think that she was either abused or subjected to something very terrifying even if it was not directed at her. The shelter was not that much of a comfort for her with the sounds, smells, and everything else that goes on in even one that is well run. This place certainly deserves credit for not putting her down as many would have done.

I mention my Graycie frequently here. She lived in an alley for at least 5 years with minimal care until another person and I tried to help her with food and shelter. I assumed she was feral as there is an ear tip and she was spayed ( I trapped her and brought her in only to find out that she had already been fixed). Over time, I started to doubt the true feral part but began to think that she might have been an abandoned pet who was part of a TNR sweep. One day, someone tried to kill her (long story) and I managed to grab her in a huge blanket and bring her inside. She was exactly like your cat, Cosette, and even once she realized that she was safe she remained in the room into which I put her for an entire year, with the door wide open.
It is amazing to me she was in a shelter for 6 months. Most of the time it is a lot less time then that.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
8 tooth extractions, IV antibiotic, and plaque removal on remaining teeth. Dentist said it's a wonder she was eating. Now she's back home resting. I am of course to blame!
I still feel that once her mouth heals and feels better, you're going to notice a huge uptick in her confidence and probably will see a much more affectionate side come out. She's such a beautiful girl, and is so lucky to have you. :)
I have had some teeth problems over the years, and even one painful tooth can completely ruin any sort of good mood I may have. I'm so glad this surgery is done and out of the way for both of you!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. That all could be part of her issues. Hope she feels better soon. Oh it is always our fault 😂, but your doing it all for her♥♥
When I take my tortie to the vet, she snubs me for hours and makes sure I see her angrily walking through the room, chattering and growling under her breath. I don't think I win her over when I tell her she's cute even when she's mad. 🤣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
They gave her long lasting pain reliever in the IV. Said it should last another few days. She's a bit confused on why her mouth feels funny, but she wasn't angry tonight. She purred for a while when I petted her. She goes back in 10 days to check her stitches.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I take my tortie to the vet, she snubs me for hours and makes sure I see her angrily walking through the room, chattering and growling under her breath. I don't think I win her over when I tell her she's cute even when she's mad. 🤣
When Phoebe came home after having her teeth cleaned last year, I expected Daisy might be a bit aggro because of the smells making her unfamiliar. But no, it was Phoebe who was aggro!

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh a tortie.They have some tude ( don't they all !) Ours let you know what she thought. She was also very sweet and loving, one of the best.