What are you reading? 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Hmmmm...I'll have to give the "All Souls" trilogy a try.  It sounds like something I might like. 

OH...I forgot to mention...loved but not currently possessed

That's the one!  I highly recommend her.  The books are all nearly or over 700 pages, and you HATE when you get to the end of one!  Can't say that about many authors.  And her history is very well researched.
I second that! Excellent!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

That's the one!  I highly recommend her.  The books are all nearly or over 700 pages, and you HATE when you get to the end of one!  Can't say that about many authors.  And her history is very well researched.
Hmmm... then it might take me all of next year to read them all.
  So there's 8 main books, right?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
There are eight books right now:

Outlander

Dragonfly in Amber

Voyager

Drums of Autumn

The Fiery Cross

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

An Echo in the Bone

Written in My Own Heart's Blood

Read them in order, so you know what's going on from book to book. I binge-read them, one right after the other and couldn't get enough of them. I think I read Outlander four times and I keep working my way through the series. I will want to re-read Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager again before Season 2 starts in April.. 

She is working on the ninth book (I didn't know that!!!! 
 and it's to be a continuation of Jamie's and Claire's lives. There is no title and she has no idea when it will be finished and ready for publication. There are excepts from the ninth book here:  http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/outlander-series/book-nine-outlander-series/

There are also some books about Lord John Grey (who is a big part of Jamie's life, but I won't go into detail about him). I have not read them yet, and I keep thinking I should. 

Not bad at all, considering that she started writing Outlander, just to see if she could write a book!

I just love the Outlander series. (Surprisingly, while Dear Richard has not read the books, he did watch Season 1 with me...not as many times as I did, though. He thought it was excellent, too.)

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks Winchester.   I just checked and my library has all of them as e-books, so when I finish what I'm reading now (a few sappy Christmas novels) I may have to start reading the series.

Eight books with 700-ish pages each, that's a lot of reading!  If I start and get hooked, the other books I have on my "to read list" won't get read for a few months!   That said, I do love coming to a series late, as you get to read all the books one after the other instead of having to wait years for the author to write the next book.

I don't have cable, so I've never seen the tv show, but I see my library also has the dvds, so once I finish the books, I'll be able to watch the series.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

There are eight books right now:

Outlander

Dragonfly in Amber

Voyager

Drums of Autumn

The Fiery Cross

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

An Echo in the Bone

Written in My Own Heart's Blood

She is working on the ninth book (I didn't know that!!!! 
 and it's to be a continuation of Jamie's and Claire's lives. There is no title and she has no idea when it will be finished and ready for publication. There are excepts from the ninth book here:  http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/outlander-series/book-nine-outlander-series/

There are also some books about Lord John Grey (who is a big part of Jamie's life, but I won't go into detail about him). I have not read them yet, and I keep thinking I should. 

WHOO HOOOOOOOO!
A ninth one!  Can't wait.  Will just have to read and re-read till then.

I've read the first two Lord John books, and they're interesting and fun, but they aren't Jamie and Claire.  I'll buy them all, eventually, but they aren't on the top of the "must have" list.

OH...Don't forget the Outlandish Companion, a real help for those who need a scorecard!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to tell you what I'm reading now.
The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith who happens to be the woman who wrote the Harry Potter books.
Quite good so far.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I

HI Pam. I've never heard ofrom these outlander books. Can you describe them to me please. I mean, how sci Fi are they?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I didn't read the book by the woman who wrote harry potter.
A. Because I've read it and B. It bored me.
I'm coming to the end of a book called More Cats in the Belfry by a woman called Dore en Tovey. She had siamese cats and wrote quite a few amusing books about them. It doesn't tax the brain reading her books.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Just ordered "Homer: The Ninth Life of a Blind Wonder Cat" so I will be reading that as soon as it arrives - squeeeee!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read quite a few of her books and enjoy them.
I find that she gets way too technical and wordy; sometimes taking 10 pages to describe a knife blade and what the wound would look like.  I tend to skim through most of her books, reading the parts that are relevant to the story and skipping over the stuff that  has no impact on the story whatsoever.

I read "Bones on Ice" which is a novella; basically a long short story.  She gets to the core of the matter and skips the verbal diarrhea.  I found it to be a much more entertaining read than most of her longer books.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Started reading a book called 'The Vanishing Witch' by Karen Maitland.
England in 1380. Unnatural deaths. Talk of witchcraft. Ooooh!!!!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[quote na. ="Kat0121" url="/t/290270/what-are-you-reading-2015/240#post_3887123"]sounds good. Let us know how you like it :think:
[/quote]

Will do. :nod:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey there fellow readers. Just a heads up. Amazon is offering an additional 25% off any one book until 2:59 AM EST on 12/14/15 with the code 25OFFBOOK. The maximum discount is $10

This is a good deal if you were looking for a new book for yourself or for a gift. I used the code. It works.

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't feel like answering this post, but here goes. When this was asked before I wrote I was reading my novel for November. Now it's another contest and I lost half of it Micro...t have a lot to answer for. I believed I saved it and when I went back the next day half of it was gone.. This version of W..d is the worst ever. Picky as Hell and nowhere friendly. I've used this format for twenty years so I'm not really a newbie.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
@WinchesterI

HI Pam. I've never heard ofrom these outlander books. Can you describe them to me please. I mean, how sci Fi are they?
Oh gosh. Outlander is the story of Claire, a British woman from the era of WW II. She and her husband, Frank, go on a bit of a second honeymoon in Scotland. While there, they check out all the sites of the area. While she is at this circle of stones (looking for a certain flower), she walks through two stones and finds herself back in Scotland in the year 1743. She meets Black Jack Randall, a captain in the British army, who essentially is a gay, sadistic pervert (and that's putting it mildly, really) and he is also the great-great-great-great many great (I think six?) grandfather of her husband, Frank. She eventually meets Jamie, a young Scottish clansman and, in order to not have to be turned over to Black Jack, marries Jamie and becomes a Scottish citizen.  Outlander and the resulting other books in the series, is the story of Jamie and Claire and their lives, not only in Scotland, but in France, and eventually, in the US. 

Because Claire is really from the mid 1900s and she knows her history and she also a very professional nurse, she knows what's going to happen to the Scots. She knows about illnesses and about germs and the need for cleanliness, those things that we all take for granted today. She knows about penicillin and she knew how to make it. But back then? Well, of course, she was tried as a witch. And that's all I will say.

The only true sci-fi that I really saw was the time traveling through the stones. Other than that, it was simply that Clair is such an intelligent woman and that's what got her through. I will say that she did end up traveling through the stones again, back to Frank, right before the Battle of Culloden and this time, she was pregnant with Brianna, Jamie's child. And, of course, eventually, she went back through the stones and back to Jamie. But the time-traveling is really the only sci-fi in the book. She was not the only person who traveled through the stones. Scottish lore is full of stories of people who were able to go through, at certain times of the year. The period seems to be about 200 years, give or take a year or so. 

The books are long, many of them at least 1,000 pages. They really should be read in order, starting with Outlander. There is a ton of description in the books and some people find them boring and way too long.

One of my GFs told me a few years before I read Outlander about the book, but I never seemed to find the time to read it. And then one day, I saw it at the library, took it home, sat down and....wow. I was enthralled. Completely. I read the book from front to end, at one sitting. And then turned around and read it again. Excellent. My MIL read the series, too, and she fell in love with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.