What are you reading? 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Winchester:  what a great introductory description of the Outlander books.  Now I'm really thinking I want to read them!   Can't believe you read the first book in one sitting.   You must be a fast reader!

I'm actually not reading anything at this time. Finished a Christmas novella a couple days ago and haven't started anything new yet. 

Will probably start either:

Glad Tidings: There's Something About Christmas\Here Comes Trouble by Debbie Macomber (2 books in 1 e-book)  or

An Angel for Christmas by Heather Graham.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh gosh. Outlander is the story of Claire, a British woman from the era of WW II. She and her husband, Frank, go on a bit of a second honeymoon in Scotland. While there, they check out all the sites of the area. While she is at this circle of stones (looking for a certain flower), she walks through two stones and finds herself back in Scotland in the year 1743. She meets Black Jack Randall, a captain in the British army, who essentially is a gay, sadistic pervert (and that's putting it mildly, really) and he is also the great-great-great-great many great (I think six?) grandfather of her husband, Frank. She eventually meets Jamie, a young Scottish clansman and, in order to not have to be turned over to Black Jack, marries Jamie and becomes a Scottish citizen.  Outlander and the resulting other books in the series, is the story of Jamie and Claire and their lives, not only in Scotland, but in France, and eventually, in the US. 

Because Claire is really from the mid 1900s and she knows her history and she also a very professional nurse, she knows what's going to happen to the Scots. She knows about illnesses and about germs and the need for cleanliness, those things that we all take for granted today. She knows about penicillin and she knew how to make it. But back then? Well, of course, she was tried as a witch. And that's all I will say.

The only true sci-fi that I really saw was the time traveling through the stones. Other than that, it was simply that Clair is such an intelligent woman and that's what got her through. I will say that she did end up traveling through the stones again, back to Frank, right before the Battle of Culloden and this time, she was pregnant with Brianna, Jamie's child. And, of course, eventually, she went back through the stones and back to Jamie. But the time-traveling is really the only sci-fi in the book. She was not the only person who traveled through the stones. Scottish lore is full of stories of people who were able to go through, at certain times of the year. The period seems to be about 200 years, give or take a year or so. 

The books are long, many of them at least 1,000 pages. They really should be read in order, starting with Outlander. There is a ton of description in the books and some people find them boring and way too long.

One of my GFs told me a few years before I read Outlander about the book, but I never seemed to find the time to read it. And then one day, I saw it at the library, took it home, sat down and....wow. I was enthralled. Completely. I read the book from front to end, at one sitting. And then turned around and read it again. Excellent. My MIL read the series, too, and she fell in love with it
You made me want to read this too. I ordered a Kindle Fire for myself which is on back order because it's on sale. I'll order the Kindle edition once it get here.

Do you watch the series they made from this on Starz?

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, I am reading The Cinderella Murder by Mary Higgins Clark. 

I love a good murder/suspense/thriller and she has a fantastic ability to keep you turning the page with lots of twists and turns.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I tried to do as good a job as I could of a (fairly) brief Outlander synopsis. It's a fascinating story; truly it is. 

And yes, I watched the first season on Starz and am eagerly awaiting the second season. In the beginning, I wasn't overly impressed with the people chosen to play either Claire or Jamie, but now? They are excellent. The story is excellent and, while they did have leave quite a bit out, the books are long! They have to chose what to keep and what to leave....and they've done a good job. Overall, yes, I have my little quirks with the tv series, but it is wonderful. The scenery alone is just beautiful. And even knowing what I know because I've read the books, I still found myself enthralled with the tv series as well. Rick has not touched a book, but he was fascinated with it all, too. I watched each episode at least three times....I still asked for Season 1 as a Christmas present.

And I don't really feel sorry for Frank at all. The tv series made their relationship better than the book did. I do think he cared about Claire and, later on, about Brianna. And that's all I will say about Frank. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there fellow readers. Just a heads up. Amazon is offering an additional 25% off any one book until 2:59 AM EST on 12/14/15 with the code 25OFFBOOK. The maximum discount is $10

This is a good deal if you were looking for a new book for yourself or for a gift. I used the code. It works. :wavey:
I.must check if amazon UK are doing the same deal.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, I am reading The Cinderella Murder by Mary Higgins Clark. 
I love a good murder/suspense/thriller and she has a fantastic ability to keep you turning the page with lots of twists and turns.
Is that mother or daughter?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester

I ordered the book from Amazon UK. It'll go to my sister and she will bring it when she's brought all the other bits and pieces I've ordered.
The book costs about half of wha it would cost me here.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful, Judy! I really hope you enjoy the book and that you will want to read the rest of them, too.

Things have been very hectic around here now for quite a while, but I hoping things calm down after Christmas and I can find some time for reading (and for some coloring, too). I have downloaded a few library books, take my Nook to bed with me at night after dinner....and always end up dropping off to sleep instead of reading. 
 I really miss reading.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished my last book which I had trouble putting down. Now I've started a new one. It's called I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. It has a very sad beginning. Mum and 5 year old son coming home from school. Pouring rain and dark. Just sacross from the house she drops his hand for a second and he shouts race you mum and that's that. A car hits and kills him and takes off.
The police are searching with very little to go on. Mum is in such a state after everything she packs some stuff, locks up the house and takes off. That's as far as I've got.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading The Last of the President's Men  by Bob Woodward. It's fascinating to see how asocial Richard Nixon was. He had no idea how to make small talk or be friendly to people. It's amazing he ever got elected president.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a bunch of books this year, unfortunately took time off reading when life got really messed up, trying to find my love for it and motivation for it again. Went to the library yesterday and took out 4 books and put 5 others on hold... Currently reading "Paper Towns" by John Green.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished Zoo by James Patterson.  I actually borrowed it as an audio book from the library and listened to it while working.  It was much better than the episodes on T.V., which seems to be the usual way it goes.  The reason for the animals banding together and attacking is much more plausible in the book then it was on T.V.  That actually makes it scarier because it made sense as to why it happened.  The book ends with everything in limbo, a very apocalyptic feel to it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished Zoo by James Patterson.  I actually borrowed it as an audio book from the library and listened to it while working.  It was much better than the episodes on T.V., which seems to be the usual way it goes.  The reason for the animals banding together and attacking is much more plausible in the book then it was on T.V.  That actually makes it scarier because it made sense as to why it happened.  The book ends with everything in limbo, a very apocalyptic feel to it.
I have that book on my list to read. Have not seen any episodes of the TV show as of yet. I usually find the books to be better anyway ;)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Paper Towns.  I found it to be true to life and very funny. Reminded me a lot of my sons' years in high school.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.  It's been decades since I've read it so decided to give it another go.  I'm finding that pretty much the whole book seems new to me because I am not recognizing anything in it.  Yet I know I've read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.