What are you reading? 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gobbled up The First Horseman by D.K. Wilson. I couldn't put it down. I didn't even put the TV on it was so good. Well unfortunately I've finished it.
I am now reading a book called A Whispered Name by William Brodrick.
Have to wait till I get further into the book to see if I like it but I think I do.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Right now, Two Graves by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

Followed by White Fire by Preston and Child 

Both books are in the series about Aloysius Xingu L. Pendergast, a Special Agent with the FBI  
LOVE that series!  Even the movie of Relic was decent, for a movie of a book.  Pendergast is such a wonderful character!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished A Whispered Name. It was very good. About the first world war. Britain.

I've just started a book called The Sisters Weiss by Naomi Rasen.
It's about an ultra orthodox Jewish family where one of the daughters.does a dreadful thing. I don't know what yet but I can guess.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, I'm rereading right now.  I got hungry for Krys Radish, and am currently deep into "Hearts on a String,"  To be followed by "Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn," "Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral," "The Sunday List of Dreams," and "Searching for Paradise in Parker, PA."  I must find another copy of "The Elegant Gathering of White Snows."  My copy went missing.

After that, I'll probably start back and reread the "Outlander" series.  I really must order the first season of it.  I understand that it's pretty well done, and keeps to the spirit of the books, very unlike the TruBlood series, which, other than character names, bore very little resemblance to the wonderful "Sookie Stackhouse" series by Charlaine Harris.  Which may come after the "Outlander" series.  Or maybe I'll do the Nora Loft "Harrison Investigation" and "Krewe of Hunters" series.

I reread a lot.  I find favorite authors and books, and they become like old friends.  Even if I know what we'll do and say, I still love being with them.  In that group you will also find Alice Hoffman, Dean Koontz, Spider Robinson and Charles DeLint.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mamanyt1953  

After that, I'll probably start back and reread the "Outlander" series.  I really must order the first season of it.  I understand that it's pretty well done, and keeps to the spirit of the books, very unlike the TruBlood series, which, other than character names, bore very little resemblance to the wonderful "Sookie Stackhouse" series by Charlaine Harris.  Which may come after the "Outlander" series.  Or maybe I'll do the Nora Loft "Harrison Investigation" and "Krewe of Hunters" series.
I read the first book in the Outlander series, last year. When it came on TV, I heard a lot of great reviews about it. I do not have that particular cable channel. I was able to watch the first half when there was a 'free' preview weekend by my cable service. 

I really did enjoy the stories. The photography is gorgeous!  They did a good job of adhering to the novel. 

This past week-end, there was another 'free' preview week-end. I watched the remaining episodes of Outlander. 

The last episodes are very graphic...which is known because of the book. 

The last 2 episodes, especially the last one, did not follow the storyline. They did take some liberties: reworking scenes, glossing over some, and eliminating some. I kept saying to myself, 'wait, that did not happen then" or "what happened t0 XYZ?"

I felt that was a bit disappointing. They did focus more on a particular area than I thought was necessary; but what do I know...

All in all it is a good series to buy..

Now to read the second book in the series....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I dearly love the Outlander books. I was a latecomer to the Outlander world and was able to read all of the books one right after the other, except for the last book in the series; I had to wait a while for it come out. It's outstanding. Truly a great series. And I've also re-read the books several times. Great books. 

I love the tv series on Starz, too,and am getting more than a little impatient for April, when Season 2 is supposed to air. Season 1 was excellent. When I first saw who was playing Jamie and Claire, I was rather disappointed. However, now? I can't imagine anybody else in those roles. They rock the roles, they really do. And all in all, I think everybody is doing a great job. They did tend to dwell on a certain happening in Jamie's life, but I think they had to do so....because it really made Jamie who he is/was today. I'm really pleased with what's gone on thus far.

I've read several books in the Krewe of Hunters series and they're really good, too. Also the Troubleshooters series by Suzanne Brockmann. Excellent books.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, I agree with you on the Outlander series. I am very late in discovering them.

Have any of you read the series of, "All Souls Trilogy"  ?     

I really got caught up in it. It is only 3 books, as of now. A new one, an off shoot from one of the story lines, is in the process of being written now.

It is a very different storyline.. Do not let the titles or the synopsis throw you. I almost did, but I am glad I stayed with it.

The first book is " A Discovery of Witches"....do not laugh...or snicker...It is very complicated, starts with a current day History Professor, and goes along from there...It is really good. It also involves a lot of history, especially since the author is a College History Professor.

It involves: current science, history, the middle ages and further back, and creatures....and the main character is a Crew Rower and rows along the Thames in London. It also jumps to Europe and the States. Very good.

A lot of historical information is involved. I actually had to stop sometimes to look things up on the computer...seriously! I really like history and this really fit the bill.

The BBC has options on development of the story for TV. That is good news. 

Can you tell I really like this series?!!  

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's true. Her life was a train wreck that played out publicly on TV and in the media.
I think everyone knew about her substance issues. It's all the incest stuff that was the jawdropper. Especially when it became consensual (her words). She claims that her father wanted for them to move somewhere where they could live as a couple and raise her son and his youngest child (her half sibling) as their children.

The book came out after her father's death so it's her word against no one's but she alleges that there are family members that know more than they admit to about this.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Pam, I agree with you on the Outlander series. I am very late in discovering them.

Have any of you read the series of, "All Souls Trilogy"  ?     

I really got caught up in it. It is only 3 books, as of now. A new one, an off shoot from one of the story lines, is in the process of being written now.

It is a very different storyline.. Do not let the titles or the synopsis throw you. I almost did, but I am glad I stayed with it.

The first book is " A Discovery of Witches"....do not laugh...or snicker...It is very complicated, starts with a current day History Professor, and goes along from there...It is really good. It also involves a lot of history, especially since the author is a College History Professor.

It involves: current science, history, the middle ages and further back, and creatures....and the main character is a Crew Rower and rows along the Thames in London. It also jumps to Europe and the States. Very good.

A lot of historical information is involved. I actually had to stop sometimes to look things up on the computer...seriously! I really like history and this really fit the bill.

The BBC has options on development of the story for TV. That is good news. 

Can you tell I really like this series?!!  

I read A Discovery of Witches a while back and yes, I thought it was a little complicated. I should re-read it and then check out the rest of the series.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmmm...I'll have to give the "All Souls" trilogy a try.  It sounds like something I might like. 

OH...I forgot to mention...loved but not currently possessed, the Roberta Gellis "Roslynd" series.  It's out of print, or was, but I can order from Amazon.  Must get the series again.  Historical romance, set in the time of King Richard, then his brother John.  Heavy on story and background.  NOT light, fluffy historical romance, although I have to admit a weakness for...gads, what is the woman's name?  OH...Georgette Heyer.  Read "The Spanish Bride," and was hooked.  Fun, easy reading for a warm summer's afternoon, or in front of the fire in the winter.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm...I'll have to give the "All Souls" trilogy a try.  It sounds like something I might like. 

OH...I forgot to mention...loved but not currently possessed, the Roberta Gellis "Roslynd" series.  It's out of print, or was, but I can order from Amazon.  Must get the series again.  Historical romance, set in the time of King Richard, then his brother John.  Heavy on story and background.  NOT light, fluffy historical romance, although I have to admit a weakness for...gads, what is the woman's name?  OH...Georgette Heyer.  Read "The Spanish Bride," and was hooked.  Fun, easy reading for a warm summer's afternoon, or in front of the fire in the winter.
I read Georgettw Heyer in my middle to late teens. I was ill in bed. Bored out of mymind. My sister was fed up with going to the library when mum came up with one of her books. I tore through it and it turned out she had nearly a whole set. I was happy and my sister was too. Yay for Georgette Heyer.
I'd like to havenquire lived then but rich with toothpaste and deodorants.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started the book The Sisters Weiss yesterday and have nearly finished it. If any of you want to know what it's like to live as an ultra religious Jews with their strange clothes and especially about the lives of the women, this is the book to read.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

OH...I forgot to mention...loved but not currently possessed

Is that the series by Diana Gabaldon?  If so, I've heard of her often, but never read anything by her yet.
That's the one!  I highly recommend her.  The books are all nearly or over 700 pages, and you HATE when you get to the end of one!  Can't say that about many authors.  And her history is very well researched.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read Georgettw Heyer in my middle to late teens. I was ill in bed. Bored out of mymind. My sister was fed up with going to the library when mum came up with one of her books. I tore through it and it turned out she had nearly a whole set. I was happy and my sister was too. Yay for Georgette Heyer.
I'd like to havenquire lived then but rich with toothpaste and deodorants.
She is one of those authors who makes me laugh right out loud.  Her heroines are sassy and capable, her heros just "bad boy" enough to be interesting.  Not heavy reading, not forced at all.  Perfect reading for a sick bed, as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.