Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester  

The Issac Bell series is an older (circa later 1800s, I think) series based on Issac Bell as a detective for the Van Dorn Detective Agency (think Pinkertons, kind of). I really like this series; I think there are eight books now in all.
Ever hear of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs? They have a great series, featuring Aloysious Pendergast, an FBI agent. Excellent books. They really should be read in order. They're all really good. The Relic (the first book) was a movie. They also write the Gideon Series. And they both write separately as well. Good books with a bit of the supernatural/science fiction. 
Thanks for the info on the Cussler books.  I've marked the 8 books in the Issac Bell series on my "wish list" on the library site.

I haven't heard of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs, but a quick search shows the library has their books as e-books also, so I'll have to keep them in mind too.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reaturna British book called The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan.
A then noyherd girl gets into 'trouble' and is sent to a house in the country being expected by her mother to work. She doesn't need to. She i. supposed to deliver the baby girl and hand it over straight away for adoption.
The young girl discovers a mystery concerning the past life of the last lady of the house.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ever hear of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs? They have a great series, featuring Aloysious Pendergast, an FBI agent. Excellent books. They really should be read in order. They're all really good. The Relic (the first book) was a movie.
I did read the books. Finished them this past spring.  

On one hand I enjoyed the stories themselves.  On the other hand, I find his writing to be rather pompous and long winded.  I pride myself on my intelligence and command of the English language, but he uses so many really, really, obscure words.  I've never had to consult a dictionary while reading a book, ever!  At least not until I read these books.  I found myself looking up words numerous times in each book. 

Also, I find it tiresome that he describes Pendergast's physical appearance or clothing with nearly every encounter he has with someone throughout each book. He meets up with someone and his physical appearance is described in detail.  Three pages later he meets up with someone else, and again, his physical appearance is described in detail.  It got really old.  

Maybe I'm noticing these things more since I read the books back-to-back without a break between them.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the info on the Cussler books.  I've marked the 8 books in the Issac Bell series on my "wish list" on the library site.

I haven't heard of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs, but a quick search shows the library has their books as e-books also, so I'll have to keep them in mind too.
I sent  you a private message.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just started "Troublemaker" by Leah Remini - from "King of Queens" fame.

She relates her Scientology experiences from childhood to adulthood - and then leaving them.  It's extremely well written, funny, sad and disturbing.  I'm about 1/4 of the way through and finding it hard to put down.  Alas, I'm at work!  It also gives an unique glimpse into the route to stardom, which is paved with a lot of questionable experiences too.  

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The book or rather the chapters of the novel I am writing for a contest, a novel in thirty days. That's what I'm reading writing and dreaming at nights. I am so sick of it You have first to write x amount of pages (enough for a Chapter) then I have to edit it then cut and paste onto the other website. That's one chapter. Regards anneno2

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cold River Running, by Enes Smith. It's the third in the Cold River series and a bit reminiscent of the late Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn/Chee books. I've just finished Infectious Madness:The Surprising Science of How We "Catch" Mental Illness by Harriet A. Washington. That's the book about the suspected correlation between toxoplasmosis and schizophrenia and is fascinating.

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel chained to this b....y novel I am writing and reading for mistakes and writing etc. Regards anneno2

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay here goes. Stew are you reading this, good. To Youngcat. Found you. How is Zoe progressing, what was the final prognosis?  And, the results as I enquire. Please tell me as I hate things getting to the place where I make foul-ups. Regards anneno2

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay here goes. Stew are you reading this, good. To Youngcat. Found you. How is Zoe progressing, what was the final prognosis?  And, the results as I enquire. Please tell me as I hate things getting to the place where I make foul-ups. Regards anneno2
Are you talking to me or is there another stewball?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm readingback British book called
The Girl Next Door by Ruth Rendell.
It's nicenbrimhyy

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no  Stew I was talking to you. as you didn't know what I was talking about when I though it was your kitten Zoe that had been sick. It was Youngcat who had the sick kitten named Zoe. Does that help? regards anneno2

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started reading a book called The First Horseman by D.K. Wilson about Henry VIII corrupt court in 1536.
It's reading easily.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips. If what she put in this book is true, she's had one insane life.

Status
Not open for further replies.