What are you reading? 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Winchester:  what a great introductory description of the Outlander books.  Now I'm really thinking I want to read them!   Can't believe you read the first book in one sitting.   You must be a fast reader!

I'm actually not reading anything at this time. Finished a Christmas novella a couple days ago and haven't started anything new yet. 

Will probably start either:

Glad Tidings: There's Something About Christmas\Here Comes Trouble by Debbie Macomber (2 books in 1 e-book)  or

An Angel for Christmas by Heather Graham.
Oh, you definitely want to read them..  The history is extremely well researched, and presented in an entertaining and fascinating way.  The characters are believable, likeable, and multifaceted, even Rollo the dog.  I devoured the entire series, started when Outlander first came out.  You see this thick book, think, "OH BOY..."  then start reading, think "BOY OH BOY" for an entirely different reason, get to the end and are desolate.  Breathless.  Waiting for the next one.  I've read the entire series from start to finish several times now.  They are those kinds of books.  I go through then 2-3 times a year.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@anneno2, I was wondering about that book.  Thank you for your recommendation.  I am a huge Stephen King fan...I mean, "Constant Reader".    I am pretty sure I am getting his latest short story collection for Christmas.  

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I'm reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.  It's been decades since I've read it so decided to give it another go.  I'm finding that pretty much the whole book seems new to me because I am not recognizing anything in it.  Yet I know I've read it.
It's been decades since I tried to read Jane Eyre.  I had seen the movie in the theatre and then decided to read the book, but didn't get very far.  Maybe it's time to try it again, as well as the other classics.

Oh, you definitely want to read them..  The history is extremely well researched, and presented in an entertaining and fascinating way.  The characters are believable, likeable, and multifaceted, even Rollo the dog.  I devoured the entire series, started when Outlander first came out.  You see this thick book, think, "OH BOY..."  then start reading, think "BOY OH BOY" for an entirely different reason, get to the end and are desolate.  Breathless.  Waiting for the next one.  I've read the entire series from start to finish several times now.  They are those kinds of books.  I go through then 2-3 times a year.
I've got 3 library e-books that I want to read first, then I plan to dive into the Outlander world.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jane eyre isn't an easy book and it's massively depressing.

Was I wrong about my last book, I Let You Go. It's got twists. It wasn't the mother who packed up and left although she did as well. The woman we're interested in is the supposed hit and run driver. So we learn all about her not knowing who she is. After a year the police trace her and she admits to it. She's arrested and taken home. She's allowed bail and goes back to the little village whereshe's ostracised. But her husband finds her and beats her up. He has been doing that for seven years. The trial starts without a jury as she confessed. Meanwhile, a man she'd got close to, a vet, has searched her house and found her passport. She'd been using her maiden name. He took it to the police who discovered the husband had form. A known wife beater etc. They realise she's not guilty and she's set free. When she gets home her husband is waiting. He nearly kills her and the police realising try to get to her quickly but not quickly enough. This time she defends herself and manages to throw him off the cliff as the police get there. Turns out that the little boy was his son from a one nighter. The mum had come asking him to be active in his life which is something he's not prepared to do. One is left with the understanding that he's dead but there's some doubt in her mind. It was quite exciting.
Now I'm reading Sisters of Treason by Elizabeth fremantle. Tudor England Mary is on the throne and it starts with a beheading. I've got up to where Mary has died and Elizabeth has come to power. It's a good read.

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you read insomnia? Best of his I think.Regards anneno2

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jane eyre isn't an easy book and it's massively depressing.

Was I wrong about my last book, I Let You Go. It's got twists. It wasn't the mother who packed up and left although she did as well. The woman we're interested in is the supposed hit and run driver. So we learn all about her not knowing who she is. After a year the police trace her and she admits to it. She's arrested and taken home. She's allowed bail and goes back to the little village whereshe's ostracised. But her husband finds her and beats her up. He has been doing that for seven years. The trial starts without a jury as she confessed. Meanwhile, a man she'd got close to, a vet, has searched her house and found her passport. She'd been using her maiden name. He took it to the police who discovered the husband had form. A known wife beater etc. They realise she's not guilty and she's set free. When she gets home her husband is waiting. He nearly kills her and the police realising try to get to her quickly but not quickly enough. This time she defends herself and manages to throw him off the cliff as the police get there. Turns out that the little boy was his son from a one nighter. The mum had come asking him to be active in his life which is something he's not prepared to do. One is left with the understanding that he's dead but there's some doubt in her mind. It was quite exciting.
Now I'm reading Sisters of Treason by Elizabeth fremantle. Tudor England Mary is on the throne and it starts with a beheading. I've got up to where Mary has died and Elizabeth has come to power. It's a good read.
I loved Jane Eyre! It's been years since I read the book, but it was (and still is) one of my favorites. I've also seen several versions of the movie over the years. I still preefer the old 1943 black and white original with Orsen Wells, Agnes Moorehead, Liz Taylor and Joan Fontaine.  I think the age of the film itself adds ambiance to the movie. 

I might have enjoyed reading I Let You Go, but now that I know the entire story from beginning to end, I'll move on to something else to enjoy. 

Right now, I am reading Split Second by David Baldacci. I won't reveal anything other than it is a fast-paced thriller that keeps me turning the pages! If you like twists and turns, and moments that the hair stands up on your arms, then you will love this book! I love the way Baldacci writes - he definitely holds your interest, and you read slower toward the end of the book because you don't want it to end!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fyllis fyllis

I'm sorry I gave the full story of that book but I didn't think it would be a book you'd be able to get in America.

I'm loving Sisters of Treason. It's such an easy read and the history of that time was very interesting, if you like English history.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading The Armageddon Factor   by CN James/Amy Joy. One of the five books I got for Christmas. It's pretty interesting so far. Looking forward to reading more of it!

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Fyllis

I'm sorry I gave the full story of that book but I didn't think it would be a book you'd be able to get in America.

I'm loving Sisters of Treason. It's such an easy read and the history of that time was very interesting, if you like English history.
I just read some reviews for Sisters of Treason and it sounds like a really good read! Thanks for the recommendation! 

Have you read Queen's Gambit or Watch the Lady - also by Elizabeth Fremantle? They are both set in the same time period. 

She will have a new book out in 2016 called The Girl in the Glass Tower. They all sound like really good books! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read some reviews for Sisters of Treason and it sounds like a really good read! Thanks for the recommendation! 
Have you read Queen's Gambit or Watch the Lady - also by Elizabeth Fremantle? They are both set in the same time period. 
She will have a new book out in 2016 called The Girl in the Glass Tower. They all sound like really good books! 
This is the first book of hers that I've read. My sister gave it to me. I'd certainly like to read more of hers

Status
Not open for further replies.