Weight Loss Support for the Humans

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This week I have been trying to keep busy and have been doing pretty good all week, Except for Saturday night! It was our neighbor guys birthday and he invited us to the bar with him and his GF and stuff so we went. I had one drink (DH had a few more!) and we didn't leave until 2am so we had to pick up a pizza for dinner.
Not the best thing by any means nor the best time to eat it, but that's all that was open. So today I made sure to get my walk in even though it was rainy and colder! I set my Ipod to do 8 miles. When I was at like 6 miles I told myself I was atleast going to go back towards home but do the Pere again for sure and see how I felt after that. The Pere is 1.3 miles long so I knew I would atleast be close to 8 miles. Well, I hit 7 before I got to the Pere. I knew if I went strait home then I would nearly hit 8, but I knew I said I was gonna to do the Pere again, so I did! When I got home, I was at.................

9.51 miles!!!

I burned 1749 calories!

And for my goal of 10000 calories in 4 weeks, I am 10 days in and have done 5166 calories so far. It says I am 1677 calories ahead of pace. (which I don't walk every single day every week at all so... it doesn't really count that in per say!) So.. we'll see where I am in another week or so. I just hope my body catches up and loses some weight! So.. my goal for the summer is really close to being seen! 10 miles in one walk. I will try for next week and see how it goes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YOU GO GIRL!!!! Way to walk! Michigan must have great scenery/places to walk, or something (or it could just be that you're way more motivated than I am)..

Has the scale caught up yet?

I've been managing rather well to stay within my daily points. I've only gone over into five of my points for the week, and a couple of days I actually had less than my total (but it still takes from teh weekly if you're over one day, and doesn't count the points you have left over in a day). I've been eating a lot of fruit, though, and I'm not entirely sure what I"m going to use when fruit season is toast. We'll see what my weigh in this week is. Two days to go. I should weigh myself at home and see if there's any difference.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Will have to look into that. Thanks for the info. Hope it works well for you! Is it easy and a lifelong thing that you would be able to eat your carbs seperate and fruits alone? I mean... to me that would mean no more strawberry shortcake, or blueberry pancakes, or fruit on your cereal!!
Bummer!
]
Oh you can eat fruit on your cereal, etc. eventually. Just on level one you have to eat fruit by itself. When you get on level 2 (maintenance) you can start combining proteins/fats with carbs and stuff like that.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW Heather... I live in a really nice area right near Lake Michigan and I walk down to the beach and go all around there. Very nice view! It helps about 10,000% now that I have music!!! I still get bored easily, but it wasn't too bad yesterday, I just think a lot, and sing, and look at the people and the birds and ducks and stuff. Yesterday I saw a HUGE blue crane or blue heron.. one of those things!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

YOU GO GIRL!!!! Way to walk! Michigan must have great scenery/places to walk, or something (or it could just be that you're way more motivated than I am)..

Has the scale caught up yet?

I've been managing rather well to stay within my daily points. I've only gone over into five of my points for the week, and a couple of days I actually had less than my total (but it still takes from teh weekly if you're over one day, and doesn't count the points you have left over in a day). I've been eating a lot of fruit, though, and I'm not entirely sure what I"m going to use when fruit season is toast. We'll see what my weigh in this week is. Two days to go. I should weigh myself at home and see if there's any difference.
There are some veggies that are sweeter than others...I never knew until quite recently that red and orange peppers are really sweet...

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

There are some veggies that are sweeter than others...I never knew until quite recently that red and orange peppers are really sweet...
Hehe, yeah, I'm forcing myself to eat fruits and veggies... I really am not so fond of them I'd want to live on them. That's the thing, I really have to force myself to eat them. I mean, it's not that I dislike them, but I'd much prefer the mashed potatoes to the broccoli... or asparagus, or... yanno..

So I weighed myself this morning on the home scale .. which I never do, I just wanted to see if I'd progressed since last week... and it says I'm at 260, when my weigh in was like... 254.2 or something last week. So I'm wondering if it's the difference between the scales or what. I'm not all up in arms about it or anything, but since I've been following my points, I'd kind of have to wonder why I'd have gone up. Anyway, we shall see what weigh in actually is tomorrow. I need to drink *lots* of water today.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am not too fond of red or orange peppers but have gotten a bit more into jalapeno peppers.
Been digging the hot stuff!

Hehe, yeah, I'm forcing myself to eat fruits and veggies... I really am not so fond of them I'd want to live on them. That's the thing, I really have to force myself to eat them. I mean, it's not that I dislike them, but I'd much prefer the mashed potatoes to the broccoli... or asparagus, or... yanno..

So I weighed myself this morning on the home scale .. which I never do, I just wanted to see if I'd progressed since last week... and it says I'm at 260, when my weigh in was like... 254.2 or something last week. So I'm wondering if it's the difference between the scales or what. I'm not all up in arms about it or anything, but since I've been following my points, I'd kind of have to wonder why I'd have gone up. Anyway, we shall see what weigh in actually is tomorrow. I need to drink *lots* of water today.
Have you weighed yourself on your home scale since you started WW? Your scale may not be calibrated properly and match their scale. So.. You may very well have not gone up in weight at all, wait and see how it is when you weigh in there!
As for the veggy thing...... You may try them different ways, cooking them different ways, grilling them, boiling them, sautee' them. Even if the cooking method isn't the best for you, maybe to get yourself into liking them, you could try them like that. You can also just try a whole bunch of different types of veggys, wierd ones you've never tried before, like Brussel sprouts (tastes and looks like a tiny cabbage) , Eggplant (never tried that myself), artichokes, or Zucchini (which I just found out I like & I didn't like it before) I think your tastes change a bit as you go through this. I think your body purges out all the greasey, high fat stuff (which is a lot of flavor) then you get used to someone blander tasting of a diet. Then adding in the high flavor of some of these veggys and your body is like WOW!!!!
So, maybe try some more out! Hope you like them soon honey!

Today I went for a walk but I did it a bit different. I went fast and did a shorter length. I only went just over a mile but I was jogging for about a 1/4 of it. Ok, so as well all know already it's not really a jog for me, but I was moving faster than a walk!!! I'm getting to be able to go further without stopping to walk again, but I don't ever stop completely!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I hadn't been drinking as much water as I was supposed to and I did see that when I didn't drink enough water the last time I was dieting, I simply did not drop weight, but the weeks I drank enough water, I consistenly lost the weight. My guess is the extra water allows your body to flush out what you're losing, etc.

I was "up" a pound at the weigh in, but maybe I didn't track the points as honestly as I should have. Last night I gave in and had domino's but I did track that faithfully, and ended up getting into some of my weekly points. Actually, though a piece of the thin crust pizza isn't too bad.

I don't have WW for the next two weeks because our group leader is on vacation for two weeks, so we'll be weighing in just to check our progress (on our own) and it won't be recorded, but that way I can see if I've gone down or not on Wednesday of next week.

Asparagus, artichoke, cauliflower and broccoli are pretty good, but I despise mushrooms and brussel sprouts and peas. Zuchinni and the squashes are okay.. eggplant and zuchinni work well in dishes as a "base".

I'm going to eat under my points for a few days, by a few, so that I balance out my extra points from last night. And I'm making a special effort to drink tons more water.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you Heather on making the effort to drink more water!!!
I don't really care for yellow squash, I tried it, but.. icky! I hope that these next few weeks go well for you even without your WW meetings!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if I had more personal time at work I'd set up some nutritionist appointments, but..

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok... well three days this week I got rained out of my walk... If it was just light rain or normal rain for that matter I would have walked.. But it was bad bad bad out there. I was mad... So I did some crunches in the house one night and figured out that was a bad thing to do on our cement floors. My back was achy the next day. So.. today I was able to walk again!
My back felt fine the whole time, but later tonight it's starting to tighten up again.
Tomorrow I am going to try for the 10 miles since I did 9 1/2 last week, but we'll see how that goes cuz I 'm not going to push it if I'm hurting. So, I'll see in the morning how it is. With my goal of 10,000 calories I am at 12 days left and over 6600 calories.
One more little bit of good news... I may be getting a YMCA membership in September... Doing a TON of extra work on my boss's daughters stuff might actually pay off and net me 3 months! I'm so excited! I can't wait. They got all the cool machines, a pool, all kinds of stuff.. I'm gonna have a blast! Plus they are open really early to really late and on the weekends too so I will have no problem finding a time to go and workout! Yay!!! My birthday is in 2 weeks and we already have lunch and dinner set for that day so I know what I'm going to eat and am going to keep it actually pretty healthy, though I may have to get a dessert! I'll walk extra though!

Hope everyone else is doing alright! Kim, how's that plan going? Healther, how were your points? Are you guys keeping motivated? Do I need to start cheering you on!!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I went out today... and sheesh... spent a ton of money (okay, well if you guys were on the other thread about bills, and saw how much I spent on revamping the cats' litter boxes and litter... then this is not that much but.. still!).. on getting fruits and cottage cheese for breakfasts this week. I also got some potatoes and cauliflower for this week, which I will make up at some point into either just plain veggies or into potato and cauliflower curry.. I may try to make aloo gobi, but we'll see how that recipe looks.

So, there's a big pot of chili on the stove, which will be broken down into cup size servings for lunchs and possibly dinners all this week, and since I just bought a chest freezer, I can freeze most of it. I still have to put the "contents" into my WW online and see what the points value is per serving, but I need to figure out how much it makes total when I'm done, I think.

Having a turkey pesto sandwich on foccacia bread for today... but since I've been busy all day, I haven't eaten anything and this will most likely be all that I eat all day, given that it's already 6:30. So, I'm just not going to feel guilty about it, darnit.

Silly, you know you can do "crunchs" from a chair, as long as you can lean back in it... just lean back, use the arm rests or sides for support, and then draw your knees up to your chest or as close as you can get them.

My points values were in line last week and I still had a one pound gain, but I'm wondering if maybe I underestimated or something, so I was trying to be careful with it this week. I think I'm just going to have to start getting some exercise in.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I went out today... and sheesh... spent a ton of money (okay, well if you guys were on the other thread about bills, and saw how much I spent on revamping the cats' litter boxes and litter... then this is not that much but.. still!).. on getting fruits and cottage cheese for breakfasts this week. I also got some potatoes and cauliflower for this week, which I will make up at some point into either just plain veggies or into potato and cauliflower curry.. I may try to make aloo gobi, but we'll see how that recipe looks.

So, there's a big pot of chili on the stove, which will be broken down into cup size servings for lunchs and possibly dinners all this week, and since I just bought a chest freezer, I can freeze most of it. I still have to put the "contents" into my WW online and see what the points value is per serving, but I need to figure out how much it makes total when I'm done, I think.

Having a turkey pesto sandwich on foccacia bread for today... but since I've been busy all day, I haven't eaten anything and this will most likely be all that I eat all day, given that it's already 6:30. So, I'm just not going to feel guilty about it, darnit.

Silly, you know you can do "crunchs" from a chair, as long as you can lean back in it... just lean back, use the arm rests or sides for support, and then draw your knees up to your chest or as close as you can get them.

My points values were in line last week and I still had a one pound gain, but I'm wondering if maybe I underestimated or something, so I was trying to be careful with it this week. I think I'm just going to have to start getting some exercise in.
****since Kitters came along and deleted my whole long post - I will retype what I remember and less*****

Good job Heather! Getting your lunches and stuff ready will really help you a lot! That sandwich sounds really yummy! I'm hungry as we are going to be making dinner soon. When I woke up this morning my back was really achy. I ate breakfast and my back was starting to feel better. I started getting my water in so I could walk if my back felt even better, but DH told me that I should just let my back rest and not walk today.
So I didn't! Fooey! I'm mad at myself but I know it's better for me to do that. SO... I guess I'm ok with it. I did not know about the cruches sitting. I will have to try that out.

Keep up the good work Heather and I hope that you find an exercise that you enjoy and that it works for you!
You go girl!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.. I've been super super busy with work (back to school and football season!!) But on monday when I weighed in, I was back down!! Yay!!
I feel a lot better about that now. I haven't been able to walk so much at night. Getting out late and it's getting so so dark so fast now, and without my neighbor walking I don't like to walk by myself in the pitch dark. But... I have earned a YMCA membership with my boss for doing extra work for her which I am hopefully going to be able to start September!
I am so excited!! I can't wait. They've got all these machines and a pool and tredmills so I can still walk! :yippie: I want to go right now!!
How's everyone else doing?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't weigh in yesterday (although the scale was set up in our leader's absence). I was actually at a rally/protest and out of town for work, so.. I missed the weigh in. I don't know how I was doing from last week, but I was not doing terribly well yesterday as far as points/calories and I can't even put them in since I don't have any nutritional information or real way to track it. I'm just going to take it really easy on the calories the rest of the week and see how it goes.

Good job, guys...! Congrats on the weight loss Kluchetta and awesome that you got the membership and lost weight, Silly!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I haven't really been very good, but I'm down a pound from yesterday and a few from Monday.
Well, cool for you for being down a pound!
Hope you start getting better with your stuff though. It'll make it easier!

I didn't weigh in yesterday (although the scale was set up in our leader's absence). I was actually at a rally/protest and out of town for work, so.. I missed the weigh in. I don't know how I was doing from last week, but I was not doing terribly well yesterday as far as points/calories and I can't even put them in since I don't have any nutritional information or real way to track it. I'm just going to take it really easy on the calories the rest of the week and see how it goes.

Good job, guys...! Congrats on the weight loss Kluchetta and awesome that you got the membership and lost weight, Silly!
This is going to sound silly (
) but did you have fun at your protest!?
Heather just keep your goals in mind as you have dinner and stuff and it will help you almost unconsciencely make somewhat better decisions. Whether it's smaller portions, more veggys, more protein, less fat! However you need it to be! It will help, at least I think it will. I've been sort of doing that myself with something I've done since I was very very very small and working on not doing it anymore and I'm doing really well. Been almost two weeks now and the urge is even gone now too! (it's just a silly thing but I'm embarrassed to say soo..
) I think I get to go down on sunday and sign up for my YMCA!! I'm soo soo happy!!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the protest was great. I haven't been able to attend one since I've been here, well, I haven't been able to attend one for Smithfield since I've been here. I did get to go to another one, but it was to celebrate the minimum wage increase. My ex-manager always made an excuse as to why I couldn't attend rallies sponsored by the company (even though employees are encouraged to attend *and* it's considered a work day).. thank goodness she's no longer here. Lemme tell ya, it breaks my heart.

Smithfield is a cause I seriously support, though. They make Wal-Mart (and I know not everyone thinks Wal-Mart is evil, and that's okay I'm not judging..) look like martyrs. The abuse is astounding. Anyway.. yeah, so I've been boycotting them for awhile. Geez, I just watched a video from the protest and there was a death that I didn't know about where the man needed insulin and Smithfield wouldn't allow him to keep it in the refrigerator, and it resulted in his death. Anyway, here's an article *and* a video. http://www.dailypress.com/business/d...travel-bothead

If anyone wants more info, I'll get some more together. This place breaks my heart. I have a hard time believing that there is still this type of practice going on anywhere in America.

Okay, but on to more positive things...awesome that you're getting your YMCA membership soon! You'll be rockin it out!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well guys, football season has started and it's been super super busy at work. Had to work 2 hours late one night go back in 2 hours early the next day and work late that night too. Crazy crazy! But... I got my Y membership!!
I love it already! I went the last two sundays and I do the tredmill and either the bike or stair stepper thing then I do all the different weight machines. This sunday on my birthday I also used the hot tub and tried the sauna (don't like that!) and then took a shower and blow dried my hair! and they even have a thingy to spin the water out of your bathing suit! I know.. I'm easily amused!
I went after work one night and I have enough time to do the tredmill for a 1/2 hour and the big for 10-15 minutes and do the weight machines and still get downstairs in enough time to use the hot tub or take a shower before they close. SO I'm gonna have a blast! I ate pretty sensable on my birthday even though I did have a small piece of cake and some vanilla ice cream! And boy was it
How has everyone else been doing?