Weight Loss Support for the Humans

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Jarvis, I know your pain! I had the exact same issue happen when I was in college. I had to carry a bottle of Pepto Bismal with me in my backpack. >_>; Hang in there and keep an eye on those ulcers. And it's great you're getting started now.
It will make keeping it off so much easier!

Make sure to drink a TON of water. Cutting soda was a great decision.

Skye, that happened to me too. I was about 120 lbs. until I had the depo shot. I put on SO much weight! What an awful thing! I also had some really bad emotional ups and downs. I'm so glad I'm on the patch now (ortho evra), it's wonderful!

It's hard to keep going! I've been trying to think of doing some kind of activity that I enjoy other than the typical working out. One thing I've considered is doing a 'dog walking' service in my apartment complex. Maybe power walking with a dog every morning will be fun for me (and the dog) and help me stay active....and make a couple bucks in the process.

Hugs all! Don't drink soda and let water become your best friend!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

Ouch! I hope that you're feeling better soon!
Yeah, much much better!

Originally Posted by Jarvis

Whoa....just saw this thread!

So, here's my deal:
I'm by no means "overweight" but I have put on the "Freshman 15". Yeah...it sucks. I started eating out a lot, got a boyfriend (and we got lazy), and I stopped doing a lot of the exercise I used to do (not REAL exercise, mind you, but I stopped going out dancing, ect.
)

Anyways, it is to the point where my poor eating habits (in addition to my high-stress) have given me an ULCER!

Also, I feel like it all went to my belly (which got HUGE) and I can no longer fit into some of my clothes...

SO, here goes my attempt to lose it. Just the 15...
The plan:

Cut out Soda (doing great)
Walk at least 3-5 times a day (so far so good)
Cut portions (this is my short coming...
)

Ugh...I really want to go back to how I was before things get out of hand....
Sounds like you have a good plan together, I hope that you can find a way to control your portions, that will help you a lot if you get that under control.

Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117

My deal is that I went on the most evil birth control ever Depo Provera
My doctor told me I'd gain 5-10 lbs. Well 2 years and almost 40lbs later I stopped it. I'm only 5'1 and am at the highest weight I've ever been. I'm in the process of trying to loose it. But because of the quick change my body didn't handle it well. From extreme stretch marks to being constantly tired. I'll get into going to the gym for a couple weeks but something comes up to cause me to stop going. So here here
to all of us trying to better our lives.

Originally Posted by dauntingfire

Oh Jarvis, I know your pain! I had the exact same issue happen when I was in college. I had to carry a bottle of Pepto Bismal with me in my backpack. >_>; Hang in there and keep an eye on those ulcers. And it's great you're getting started now.
It will make keeping it off so much easier!

Make sure to drink a TON of water. Cutting soda was a great decision.

Skye, that happened to me too. I was about 120 lbs. until I had the depo shot. I put on SO much weight! What an awful thing! I also had some really bad emotional ups and downs. I'm so glad I'm on the patch now (ortho evra), it's wonderful!

It's hard to keep going! I've been trying to think of doing some kind of activity that I enjoy other than the typical working out. One thing I've considered is doing a 'dog walking' service in my apartment complex. Maybe power walking with a dog every morning will be fun for me (and the dog) and help me stay active....and make a couple bucks in the process.

Hugs all! Don't drink soda and let water become your best friend!
Good job to everyone for starting or sticking with a goal!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm completely unmotivated again, although I think I'm going to invest in software that I used to use a while back and start using it again. It worked really well and based how many calories a day you should be eating on how much weight you were losing, although, it did unfortunately, have you weigh yourself daily. Of course, that kind of helped keep me on track. I will say that it was pretty comprehensive because you set a goal date, and then you logged your calories, and you logged your water intake (it yells at you if you're not drinking enough), and if you're not losing the right amount, it adjusts your calories. So.. it finds your metabolism and then adjusts according to your goal date.

I still want to get those hypnosis cds, but haven't yet.
Haven't had the money.

I'd like to find a dance class or something I'd actually like to do for excercise, and haven't had the money.

This is my somewhat long but shorter than one might expect gripe session, so dont' mind me.. but I'm really sick of making the money that I do and being broke all the dratted time.

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooooh, that sounds similar to the Weight Watchers software that can be used on their site. It was really easy to use and I kept up with all my points every week. Sadly, due to money issues I had to cancel.

But I was losing several pounds a week steadily while I used it.
Good stuff!

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain, Catsarebetter...
I'm a starving college student...but I am also a PRO at getting free/cheap stuff.
Some alternatives to the expensive stuff that I found:

Alot of the classes at community places (like Jazz classes, dancing, Tae-bo...etc) Will let you do the first class (or the first week) for free...

A local (and realllly expensive) gym had a 2-week FREE membership...So I got 14 days to take ANY classes, work on ANY machines and swim in their pool
(also, I gave them a bogus number, so they couldn't harass me when I was done
)

Lastly, I know some places will give you a discount if you come with a partner or group.

Oh! And a year or so ago, some friends and I had the idea to rent a Tae-Bo tape from the library (free) and do it together at her house. So twice a week after school we just followed the video and it was actually a bLAST! You can also rent those hypno-tapes at my library for free....

I know these aren't the BEST option, but if you are really strapped, they will at least get you active/used to some routines. You can get the basics for free and refine them at home!

I know being poor is the pits...but I hope some of these help

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we are all at least trying to do something about our weight! That's really good news!
I am trying to "glide" 10 miles a week on my gazelle glider - the first week I did 10, the 2nd I only did 8 miles (20 minutes/2 miles, 4 days) and I only lost .5 pounds - so I know that I really have to stick with at least five days a week to work out! And no wine!

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Well, we are all at least trying to do something about our weight! That's really good news!
I am trying to "glide" 10 miles a week on my gazelle glider - the first week I did 10, the 2nd I only did 8 miles (20 minutes/2 miles, 4 days) and I only lost .5 pounds - so I know that I really have to stick with at least five days a week to work out! And no wine!
Alcohol can make a huge difference in you weight goal. I know that just by not going out with the girls and friends on the weekend bar hoping no exercise I lost 3 lbs. So by cutting that with your exercising your body will respond better and quicker to the exercise.

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is everyone doing? Good on my end...I'm almost to
my goal weight of 125!! Can't wait

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had much success with the weight loss itself or with starting up the exercise. I did, though, finally break down and purchase my hypnosis cds that I've been wanting to get. They should be delivered Monday. We'll see how they work.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117

Alcohol can make a huge difference in you weight goal. I know that just by not going out with the girls and friends on the weekend bar hoping no exercise I lost 3 lbs. So by cutting that with your exercising your body will respond better and quicker to the exercise.
This is sad but so very true. The worst part is I can have a couple of beers and it doesn't seem to interfere with my weight loss. But even one glass of wine - forget about it! And that is what I miss. Coming home and enjoying a really good glass of wine before dinner and one with dinner. It is so relaxing and civilized! Once you hit menopause, that's it!

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The alcohol thing is SO true...unfortunately!

Ugh...no weight loss yet...but I FEEL great

The weight will take a while longer.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At work we had a nutritionist come in and talk to us. She is going to come in once a week, each Friday. We talked about habits and looking at labels for high fiber and low fat content. Our homework this week is to keep a log of our meals, and then we'll evaluate it at our next session.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I'm completely unmotivated again, although I think I'm going to invest in software that I used to use a while back and start using it again. It worked really well and based how many calories a day you should be eating on how much weight you were losing, although, it did unfortunately, have you weigh yourself daily. Of course, that kind of helped keep me on track. I will say that it was pretty comprehensive because you set a goal date, and then you logged your calories, and you logged your water intake (it yells at you if you're not drinking enough), and if you're not losing the right amount, it adjusts your calories. So.. it finds your metabolism and then adjusts according to your goal date.

I still want to get those hypnosis cds, but haven't yet.
Haven't had the money.

I'd like to find a dance class or something I'd actually like to do for excercise, and haven't had the money.

This is my somewhat long but shorter than one might expect gripe session, so dont' mind me.. but I'm really sick of making the money that I do and being broke all the dratted time.
I hope gettin g the software motivates you again. Sorry I haven't been on much to be the cheerleader for us all, but it's been so crazy busy at work i've just been running non-stop for weeks and weeks now! Keep your head up Heather! We're here for you!

Originally Posted by Jarvis

I feel your pain, Catsarebetter...
I'm a starving college student...but I am also a PRO at getting free/cheap stuff.
Some alternatives to the expensive stuff that I found:

Alot of the classes at community places (like Jazz classes, dancing, Tae-bo...etc) Will let you do the first class (or the first week) for free...

A local (and realllly expensive) gym had a 2-week FREE membership...So I got 14 days to take ANY classes, work on ANY machines and swim in their pool
(also, I gave them a bogus number, so they couldn't harass me when I was done
)

Lastly, I know some places will give you a discount if you come with a partner or group.

Oh! And a year or so ago, some friends and I had the idea to rent a Tae-Bo tape from the library (free) and do it together at her house. So twice a week after school we just followed the video and it was actually a bLAST! You can also rent those hypno-tapes at my library for free....

I know these aren't the BEST option, but if you are really strapped, they will at least get you active/used to some routines. You can get the basics for free and refine them at home!

I know being poor is the pits...but I hope some of these help
Those are some great ideas!!! Hey.. Here at our video store you can rent the exercise tapes for free! I've been thinking of getting a couple and copying them!!

Very well said! Hey a half a pound is nothing to be upset about! Losing anything is great!

Originally Posted by chelle

How is everyone doing? Good on my end...I'm almost to
my goal weight of 125!! Can't wait
Congrats! Keep up the good work. I'm not even near my goal yet, but I am staying motivated even with some minor setbacks with pain and such. I tried the rowing machine yesterday and I added back in some of the weight machines finally. I had to work back up to doing all of it again since I got hurt! So sucked!

I haven't had much success with the weight loss itself or with starting up the exercise. I did, though, finally break down and purchase my hypnosis cds that I've been wanting to get. They should be delivered Monday. We'll see how they work.
Let us know how it goes!!!

This is sad but so very true. The worst part is I can have a couple of beers and it doesn't seem to interfere with my weight loss. But even one glass of wine - forget about it! And that is what I miss. Coming home and enjoying a really good glass of wine before dinner and one with dinner. It is so relaxing and civilized! Once you hit menopause, that's it!
Good for me that I don't drink, it just doesn't quench my thirst anymore!

Originally Posted by Sohni

At work we had a nutritionist come in and talk to us. She is going to come in once a week, each Friday. We talked about habits and looking at labels for high fiber and low fat content. Our homework this week is to keep a log of our meals, and then we'll evaluate it at our next session.
That's pretty cool!! Let us know how it goes. I think that will be a great thing!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All right, so I got the cds. Now I have to find an opportune time to listen to the first one. I had it all in my head that I would listen to them either in the morning when I'm waking up (so the cd would start playing as my alarm clock) or before/as I'm going to sleep... but they recommend against that so I need to find a time to do it. Maybe I'll try to invest in a portable cd player this weekend. Now that the IRS has released my money due to their error, perhaps I'll have enough that I can buy one. Grrrr, and *that's* how I spent my morning yesterday.

Oh, and I know it's off topic, but you know what the best part of it all was???? The woman told me that it was *my* fault that my money was seized because *I* didn't call the IRS and make sure that they processed things correctly. I was like... so what you're telling me is that it's my job, as a customer, or citizen, to call and make sure that you're people (2 of them, no less) are doing their jobs correctly? She's like yes. I said, so how much are you paying me to supervise your people? Stupid freaking incompetant morons.

Anyway, how's everyone else doing today???

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a good week last week - lost 1.8 pounds! And I am over my half way mark.
I learned something from one of the members who used to manage a MacDonalds. She said alot of fast food/chain style restaurants actually wash the lettuce in a sugar water solution to keep it crispy. And brush a sugar coating on the buns to get them "toasty".
Because it is under a certain % they don't have to report it.
Also, my WW coach gave us a good website for info about restaurants around the country, and other weight loss info. It is Dottie's Weight Loss Zone:http://www.dwlz.com/
I think it is worth a look!
Keep up the good work everyone!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

All right, so I got the cds. Now I have to find an opportune time to listen to the first one. I had it all in my head that I would listen to them either in the morning when I'm waking up (so the cd would start playing as my alarm clock) or before/as I'm going to sleep... but they recommend against that so I need to find a time to do it. Maybe I'll try to invest in a portable cd player this weekend. Now that the IRS has released my money due to their error, perhaps I'll have enough that I can buy one. Grrrr, and *that's* how I spent my morning yesterday.

Oh, and I know it's off topic, but you know what the best part of it all was???? The woman told me that it was *my* fault that my money was seized because *I* didn't call the IRS and make sure that they processed things correctly. I was like... so what you're telling me is that it's my job, as a customer, or citizen, to call and make sure that you're people (2 of them, no less) are doing their jobs correctly? She's like yes. I said, so how much are you paying me to supervise your people? Stupid freaking incompetant morons.

I fell off the weight loss wagon a looooong time ago but I still keep up with the thread. Portable CD players shouldn't bee too expensive. I'm pretty sure I've seen them for under $20 now that MP3's and digital music players are the big thing.

I learned something from one of the members who used to manage a MacDonalds. She said alot of fast food/chain style restaurants actually wash the lettuce in a sugar water solution to keep it crispy. And brush a sugar coating on the buns to get them "toasty".
Also, my WW coach gave us a good website for info about restaurants around the country, and other weight loss info. It is Dottie's Weight Loss Zone:http://www.dwlz.com/
Interesting about the sugar in FF, I don't think I would have guessed about the lettuce.

I LOVE dwlz... it's a great resources. Especially for those following WW.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by twstychik

I LOVE dwlz... it's a great resources. Especially for those following WW.
This is where I found the link for the cds. It's the Enjoying Weight Loss CDs that she's been successful with this past time around.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Great job!!!!
I have not been keeping track of my weight regularly, but am going to start doing it again on Sundays since I have been going to the YMCA every sunday for sure! But from when I am weighing in I am still down to where I was, but not sure if I'm actually going up or down!

Let us know how the CD's work for you!! Hope they get you motivated again! We're all here for you!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah... I have also been looking into the YMCA book and I am thinking about taking one of their classes in the morning before work. I'm not normally likeing to get up early in the morning but when I fdo I feel a lot better and get a lot more done during the day. I've been looking at either a spinning class or a pilates or something like that! Session 2 starts up Nov 5, so I need to pick soon and sign up. Cool thing is it's free since I'm a member! Going to get everything I can out of my membership!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pilates is really good for building muscle. I'm going to have to look into a class around here or if there is a YMCA around here. I don't even know if we have one or not.