Weight Loss Support for the Humans

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My DH got me this NIKE+ IPod thing that has a part that goes in your shoe and you use your Ipod Nano and it tracks your pace, how far, how long, how many calories and such and it's so neat. Cuz looking up before about seeing how far we walked and how long it took us it would say like 250 cals. With this cuz it calculates how fast you actually walk and stops and how much you weigh it said we burned 570 last night!! Yay!!!
That has to be one of the coolest things I've heard as far as dieting go , pretty much ever!!!!

I know they make other gadgets like this that don't involve an ipod and I've always wanted one!!!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

That's a good start on the 50!!! Just need to hit 12.5 a week to get there! You can definitely do that with as much as you've been walking, I think. Good luck!
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

That has to be one of the coolest things I've heard as far as dieting go , pretty much ever!!!!

I know they make other gadgets like this that don't involve an ipod and I've always wanted one!!!
Well today I went and did 4.04miles and am just ove 11 miles now! I had a blast with the walk today and got to see a bunch of canadian geese and some baby swans!
They were so cute!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I bet the swans were adorable. I'm starting back to WW this week through work. I'm going to try to get motivated. I did'nt manage it last time, but lost 6 pounds, all of which I gained back during the several weeks we didn't have WW meetings.

Ahh, well.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a struggle! If it wasn't we'd all be skinny!
The baby swans were so so cute! I wanted to snuggle right up to them and rub their little cheeks! But I bet their dad would have pecked my eyes out!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, prolly. Swans are mean (worse than geese). But they surely are beautiful, and signets are just darling.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have heard that before so I knew to keep my distance even though they were just darn cute. Always seems to be that way when I walk without my camera I see some of the cutest things, or best sunsets!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok all, today begins my cracking down to lose weight. Please wish me luck.

I'm going to keep a food journal to target how many calories I'm taking in daily and keep it under control.

I've gained 30 pounds in a year...granted I was very skinny before, but this summer has really been torture because I feel completely uncomfortable dressing even remotely "summerly". Haven't been swimming this year either.

So now is the time to cut the crap and buckle down.

I love junk food, so I am going to be one cranky lady for a few weeks until I adjust!!!

Any tips would be great!!!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck honey and just remember, if you feel like you have to eat a piece of candy or a cookie, eat one, just one and then go on to like pickles or carrots or something healthy to fill you up. But you need to eat it if you feel you have to. If you don't one day you will go overboard and eat a whole bag. This is a life change and you are not going to cut out sweets and stuff forever! That's not practical. We are all here for you so lean on us when you need us!
&

Jill

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Good luck honey and just remember, if you feel like you have to eat a piece of candy or a cookie, eat one, just one and then go on to like pickles or carrots or something healthy to fill you up. But you need to eat it if you feel you have to. If you don't one day you will go overboard and eat a whole bag. This is a life change and you are not going to cut out sweets and stuff forever! That's not practical. We are all here for you so lean on us when you need us!
&

Jill
Oh lots of hugs and thanks for that!!!!!!!!!!

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My DH got me this NIKE+ IPod thing that has a part that goes in your shoe and you use your Ipod Nano and it tracks your pace, how far, how long, how many calories and such and it's so neat. Cuz looking up before about seeing how far we walked and how long it took us it would say like 250 cals. With this cuz it calculates how fast you actually walk and stops and how much you weigh it said we burned 570 last night!! Yay!!! Now I want to run a little and see how i do!
See if it really makes a difference! I also gave myself a goal to walk 50 miles in 4 weeks and so far I am at 7.4 I think, in 3 days! Wish me luck guys!
I'm glad you know how AWESOME that nike+ipod thing is!! I posted a thread about it earlier but not too many people replied, so I figured no one is really using it on TCS.

I got the "shoe pouch" so I could use it with my Brooks running shoes (you don't need Nike shoes to use it!). If you haven't already, you should log on to the nike website. You can keep track of your progress, and check out popular walking/running routes in your area! You can even "race" other people!! And it's nice to hear that voice say, "500 meters to go..."!! Or the "Congratulations! You have reached your goal of ___ miles" or "You have reached a new personal best!"

GOOD LUCK!!
Happy walking/running!!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

I'm glad you know how AWESOME that nike+ipod thing is!! I posted a thread about it earlier but not too many people replied, so I figured no one is really using it on TCS.

I got the "shoe pouch" so I could use it with my Brooks running shoes (you don't need Nike shoes to use it!). If you haven't already, you should log on to the nike website. You can keep track of your progress, and check out popular walking/running routes in your area! You can even "race" other people!! And it's nice to hear that voice say, "500 meters to go..."!! Or the "Congratulations! You have reached your goal of ___ miles" or "You have reached a new personal best!"

GOOD LUCK!!
Happy walking/running!!
I just mine going in the last few weeks and hadn't seen you thread, but I really do like it. I log on to the Nike+ site almost every walk. Right now until I get the lacelett for the thingy I have it in my shoe under the tongue ontop of my foot and I don't even feel it and it doesn't move or anything. I have my goal set at 50 miles in 4 weeks right now. I'm at 22.3 miles so far!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I just mine going in the last few weeks and hadn't seen you thread, but I really do like it. I log on to the Nike+ site almost every walk. Right now until I get the lacelett for the thingy I have it in my shoe under the tongue ontop of my foot and I don't even feel it and it doesn't move or anything. I have my goal set at 50 miles in 4 weeks right now. I'm at 22.3 miles so far!
just out of curiosity, how much did this cost with and without the accessories???
I'm dying to convince DH that this is an important purchase!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH bought a couple broken IPods and fixed it up so it was cheaper than buying a new one. Even getting a new 1GB Nano is aroung $149 I think, and that would actually be worth it. The NIKE+ part is about $35. The lacelette is about $8. Now you can get the arm band for around $20 but it's actually very comfortable in my hand and that's where I carry it, plus I'd never spend $20 for some velcro!
You can get the plastic stretchy covers for the IPods at the dollar store for $1. (duh! $1 at the dollar store right! Go figure!
). Most of the broken IPods came with music on them so we got all the songs free too! Bonus! So I don't actually know how much we have into the IPod itself but I did pay the $35 for the NIKE+ part and that's it. I think that Apple has also been running some refurbs on their site for like $119 as well, but not sure. I think I remember DH saying something like that! (I really should pay attention a little more huh?) I know my neighbor wants one now too if my DH can manage to rebuild another one, but she's a little tight on money so if she doesn't get it from us, we are just going to sell it.

You know you can always pull the line on your DH like, "I need this honey so I can look sexy for you!
"
I think he'd let you get anything you want!

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My DH bought a couple broken IPods and fixed it up so it was cheaper than buying a new one. Even getting a new 1GB Nano is aroung $149 I think, and that would actually be worth it. The NIKE+ part is about $35. The lacelette is about $8. Now you can get the arm band for around $20 but it's actually very comfortable in my hand and that's where I carry it, plus I'd never spend $20 for some velcro!
You can get the plastic stretchy covers for the IPods at the dollar store for $1. (duh! $1 at the dollar store right! Go figure!
). Most of the broken IPods came with music on them so we got all the songs free too! Bonus! So I don't actually know how much we have into the IPod itself but I did pay the $35 for the NIKE+ part and that's it. I think that Apple has also been running some refurbs on their site for like $119 as well, but not sure. I think I remember DH saying something like that! (I really should pay attention a little more huh?) I know my neighbor wants one now too if my DH can manage to rebuild another one, but she's a little tight on money so if she doesn't get it from us, we are just going to sell it.

You know you can always pull the line on your DH like, "I need this honey so I can look sexy for you!
"
I think he'd let you get anything you want!
Wow -- your DH is awesome. What a steal!

My brother gave me my nano (and I gave my BF a nano for Christmas). We got ourselves the nike thing. Anyways, the cost is about this:

2 GB apple ipod nano - $134 (see amazon link below)
Nike+ipod attachment - $29
Armband - $15 - $29 (dep. on style; mine cost $20 - I run or use the elliptical and don't want to worry about dropping it; also, I use it on the rowing machine, too -- so handsfree is a must!)
Shoepouch - $10 (shipped)

*on advice of starryeyedtiger, I went luggage shopping at TJMaxx/Marshalls & happened to see a few ipod armbands for 50% retail; so check there, too!

Here are some links to check out:
Nike+ipod: http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/
ipod nano: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/ad...rom+Amazon.com
shoepouch:
http://grantwoodstore.com/Shoe-Pouch...B000MGL6FK.htm

I figure it's an investment in your health. Plus you can listen to music or books when you travel/commute.

The Nike+ipod thing:
-Enter your weight and it'll calculate the calories burned.
-It keeps track of your workouts & can upload automatically to your file on nike's website, so you can keep track (it graphs your workouts & you can see your pace during the workout).
-It helps you pace your walk/runs, e.g. by telling you how far you've run, your mile pace, your calories burned, etc.

Can you tell I love it?!
I went from couch potato to running 5-miles x 3-4 times/week (but had to cut back b/c I pushed myself too hard and injured my knees
, but now I'm back running about 2 miles x 4-5 times/week, slowly working my way back up
).

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't quite run yet, for any length of time at all, but I keep doing it a little bit at a time! I walk though, and maybe one day I'll be able to run more and more. I love mine too (DH said I would) but I will admit that I am a tight wad and hate spending money. So if DH didn't figure a way to do it cheaper I probably wouldn't have gotten into using it!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I can't quite run yet, for any length of time at all, but I keep doing it a little bit at a time! I walk though, and maybe one day I'll be able to run more and more. I love mine too (DH said I would) but I will admit that I am a tight wad and hate spending money. So if DH didn't figure a way to do it cheaper I probably wouldn't have gotten into using it!
OK, you are awesome! But I just have to say here that almost all the people (except me) in my orthopedic surgeon's office where I went to get my hip replacement were RUNNERS. I would suggest biking or keep walking. Don't ruin your joints. It really sucks, LOL.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

OK, you are awesome! But I just have to say here that almost all the people (except me) in my orthopedic surgeon's office where I went to get my hip replacement were RUNNERS. I would suggest biking or keep walking. Don't ruin your joints. It really sucks, LOL.
Yeah I keep hearing how bad running actually is for you. I've also heard that it's not good for women in perticular as our inards are net meant to giggle like that!
Bad! I guess I don't really want to run like a lot at all, but I think I want to jog or just get moving a little quicker to try to burn more calories maybe faster. But if I don't ever get upto running I'll be happy where I am!

P.S. Thanks for telling me I'm awesome! It's really nice to have such a strong support group like you all!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome! I'd been told that speed walkers wearing ankle and wrist weights actually burn more calories than joggers or runners. So it might be something to consider.