TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AMYs is wonderful stuff ... thou most aint on my diet

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've lost a bit of weight. My watch strap was really tight and today I was able to do it up and while it was still a snug fit, it wasn't tight like it was before.

I don't have a scale at home so I can't weigh myself.

Tonight I replenished some of my frozen dinners. Cooking and freezing in portions has really saved me from ordering in because it's so easy to just take something out and heat it up.

I have been having a chocolate Slim Fast shake everyday. I add a banana or a 1/2 cup of frozen berries, 1 tsp of instant decaf coffee and a tray of ice cubes and then run it through my blender so it's an ice smoothie
I get a great tasting frozen mocha drink that is filling (equals about 2 cups because of the ice and fruit) and nutritious and also curbs my chocolate craving

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I think I've lost a bit of weight. My watch strap was really tight and today I was able to do it up and while it was still a snug fit, it wasn't tight like it was before.

I don't have a scale at home so I can't weigh myself.

Tonight I replenished some of my frozen dinners. Cooking and freezing in portions has really saved me from ordering in because it's so easy to just take something out and heat it up.

I have been having a chocolate Slim Fast shake everyday. I add a banana or a 1/2 cup of frozen berries, 1 tsp of instant decaf coffee and a tray of ice cubes and then run it through my blender so it's an ice smoothie
I get a great tasting frozen mocha drink that is filling (equals about 2 cups because of the ice and fruit) and nutritious and also curbs my chocolate craving
That sounds like a good idea, although, I'm not one for smoothies. Sounds like a great recipe though, if you like them. Thanks for sharing it!

Cooking ahead and freezing is definitely the way to go financially and calorie wise.. you know exactly what you're putting in, what calories are in it, and it saves money on top of it all.

I almost never get on the scale at home... I do weekly at weight watchers, but honestly..it varies so much from week to week.. I think it's better to actually measure yourself and compare that week to week, or monthly, or what have you. If you don't have a measuring tape, what I used to do is take a string, measure with the string, and then measure the string against a yardstick or something.

Sharky, still need that recipe!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of the Amy's stuff but I will definately check into that.. The smoothie sounds good too though I'd cut the coffee part... Yuck to me!
Congrats on the looser watch. I really wish when I started that I would have measured cuz from the begining I'd love to know how much SIZE I've lost!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still hungry!!!

I had a salad and 2 soft tacos for dinner a few hours ago and now I feel like I'm starving!

The soft tacos weren't large. Each one had 2 tablespoons of turkey mixture, a bit of shredded cheese, 1/8th of a tomato and some shredded lettuce with a couple teaspoons of yogurt all in a 5" wide corn tortilla wrap.

I had a nectarine for dessert. But now I feel like I haven't eaten and want to go and make myself a second supper

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, it probably wouldn't hurt to eat more salad when it gets like that... or try Luna bars. They're pretty filling and low in calories. and they're good!

Sorry for the delay, it's been a couple of crazy days!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm still hungry!!!

I had a salad and 2 soft tacos for dinner a few hours ago and now I feel like I'm starving!

The soft tacos weren't large. Each one had 2 tablespoons of turkey mixture, a bit of shredded cheese, 1/8th of a tomato and some shredded lettuce with a couple teaspoons of yogurt all in a 5" wide corn tortilla wrap.

I had a nectarine for dessert. But now I feel like I haven't eaten and want to go and make myself a second supper
Very impressive!! I would agree that you could eat quite a lot of veggies, plus WATER to fill up!

I was a little proud of myself because I had to go to Subway for my hubby and son at 9 p.m. and I ate a salad at home instead! But yikes, we went on vaca for a week & I gained 5 pounds.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm still hungry!!!

Sometimes you will just be hungrier than other days. Fill up on water and lowcal stuff like broccoli, veggys as others have said and just make it through it. It does have to be a life change so feeling like you are starving is not going to be good for you so fill up with sensable things and keep your head up!

Originally Posted by kluchetta

Very impressive!! I would agree that you could eat quite a lot of veggies, plus WATER to fill up!

I was a little proud of myself because I had to go to Subway for my hubby and son at 9 p.m. and I ate a salad at home instead! But yikes, we went on vaca for a week & I gained 5 pounds.
Now you can do some extra exercise to work off the extra weight but I'm really proud of your decision for dinner tonight and congratson your progress as well! (even with the minor set back of vacation) I hope you had a blast with the vacation though... you deserve it!

Yesterday I played frisbee with the neighbor and had a blast!!! Worked up a huge sweat and just ran like heck! I've gotten a lot better than last year, can nearly hit the target area everytime now! I had fun and ate well. I snacked on carrots and pickles. I did have hot dogs for dinner and baked beans and pasta salad that I made with black olives, red peppers, orange peppers, tomatoes, and garden rotini and 100% organic whole wheat rontini, so it was really healthy and yummy! I splurged and had two cans of coke as well but that's about it! I feel good about myself and that's all that matters right now I guess.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave: Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I checked in here. We ate a LOT on our honeymoon but we also had to walk everywhere we went to I didn't gain or lose. I'm back on the wagon starting Monday. I can't decide if I want to track points/calories or just try to be conscious of what I'm eating. Matt and I are alos going to try to walk more (he has high blood pressure and we're trying to manage it oursleves before resorting to medication). I don't have alot of time w/ work and school so in the fall I'm thinking of taking yoga through school so I stay active... It's so hard to find time durring the week when I'm at work or school from 8-5:30 every day then I have about an hour of homework each night (4 nights a week). I'm also getting a fresh look to go with my fresh start sometime nest week. I need a new hair style and it'll give me a great boost too!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the wedding and even though you ate a lot on the honeymoon, how often are you going on a honeymoon huh? It's great you splurged! You deserved it! I think the haircut will get you in the mood to get back on track no matter which method you choose! Good luck and keep up the good work!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm taking a yoga class a couple times a week right now as I "recover" from my hip surgery. It's AMAZING how many muscles you use and how energized you feel after an hour of that!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been playing frisbee about 3 days this week (last week) and today I went swimming! I was there for about 4 1/2 hours and had a blast! I had a salad for lunch and grilled chicken and a salad for dinner. So I feel good about today.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight Tristan and i are going to visit my local gym and see what their prices are. If we go together we can encourage eachother. The other one i joined last year i joined before we sold our house so we moved and it also took me 2 months to recover from my 2 bouts of tonsilitis, so i gave up *it was a 6 month membership)

I don't want to have to weigh myself every time i finish working out, and worry about numbers, so im taking it slowly.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In all honesty, although I do still "weigh" myself, I think it's more important to focus on how you feel, and that you're getting healthier, because the scale and your weight fluctuate so much that it's a random hit on the day that you weigh in as to whether you're getting an accurate weight or not. IMO, it's better to measure and maybe update that like once a month. It's easier to tell the difference when you're losing inches because you're building some muscle, and losing fat, than it is to tell it by the scale, cause the scale won't show the difference as much since muscle weighs more than fat.

If I remember correctly, it's about 2" (or approximately one clothing size) per every 20 pounds.

Anyway, Dragoriana, I think that's the way to go! And you and SillyJilly both need to keep up the good work!

chelle, great idea! Keep us posted on how it's continuing to work for you! Good job!

kluchetta, awesome that you're sticking with the yoga!

twsty, go you! Hope you guys stick to the walking.. easier when you have someone to do it with! (oh and glad you had a good time on the honeymoon)!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Four months postpartum now and I'm still about 5-10 lbs from my original weight. Since we've moved to the D.C./Maryland area, we really have to walk everywhere since the parking is so bad. Especially in D.C. So, I think the walking has contributed to most of my weight lose.

Good luck everyone!!! Sending my best wishes to all of you to reach your goal!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

In all honesty, although I do still "weigh" myself, I think it's more important to focus on how you feel, and that you're getting healthier, because the scale and your weight fluctuate so much that it's a random hit on the day that you weigh in as to whether you're getting an accurate weight or not. IMO, it's better to measure and maybe update that like once a month. It's easier to tell the difference when you're losing inches because you're building some muscle, and losing fat, than it is to tell it by the scale, cause the scale won't show the difference as much since muscle weighs more than fat.

If I remember correctly, it's about 2" (or approximately one clothing size) per every 20 pounds.

Anyway, Dragoriana, I think that's the way to go! And you and SillyJilly both need to keep up the good work!

chelle, great idea! Keep us posted on how it's continuing to work for you! Good job!

kluchetta, awesome that you're sticking with the yoga!

twsty, go you! Hope you guys stick to the walking.. easier when you have someone to do it with! (oh and glad you had a good time on the honeymoon)!
Is that really true? 20lbs is one size? I must be really disproportionate. I've only gone down 34lbs, and from 26 to 20 (squeezing into some 18's). I'd be happy to be down 60lbs!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's supposed to be a guide, but you know, that sort of changes if you've been exercising.. muscle weighs more than fat, and you've been a workout machine, lol. It also takes up less space, so that might be it too.. you're toning up, losing fat, gaining muscle, and tightening up your body.

I have noticed, though, that this doesn't seem to be accurate in lower sizes. For instance, if someone is a size 5, and loses five pounds, it might take them down a size. It does seem to be accurate for me, though, generally. Now, where I'm at now, I'm somewhere in the middle of a 22, in bottoms. They're comfortable, but a few pounds off and they're too loose, so I'm closer to the bottom range of the size than the top. If I lost 10 pounds, I'd be back to the size 20.. so..in 30 pounds, I'd probably be into my 18s. I'm equally heavy all over, though, and I tend to lose evenly from all over my body.

Now, I have to say, the two inches thing comes from sewing.. for instance, a size 18 will measure 2 inches smaller in the relevant spots than a size 20. A size 18 ... if I remember correctly, is 38" waist, whereas a 20 is 40"? I might be misremembering that.

Do you carry more of your weight in one spot then the rest? My mom, when she loses weight, drops sizes pretty quick because she carries all her weight in her stomach, none in her legs (which are little bird legs), and just a small amount in her upper body/arms. So her weight loss is usually concentrated in her tummy.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

It's supposed to be a guide, but you know, that sort of changes if you've been exercising.. muscle weighs more than fat, and you've been a workout machine, lol. It also takes up less space, so that might be it too.. you're toning up, losing fat, gaining muscle, and tightening up your body.

I have noticed, though, that this doesn't seem to be accurate in lower sizes. For instance, if someone is a size 5, and loses five pounds, it might take them down a size. It does seem to be accurate for me, though, generally. Now, where I'm at now, I'm somewhere in the middle of a 22, in bottoms. They're comfortable, but a few pounds off and they're too loose, so I'm closer to the bottom range of the size than the top. If I lost 10 pounds, I'd be back to the size 20.. so..in 30 pounds, I'd probably be into my 18s. I'm equally heavy all over, though, and I tend to lose evenly from all over my body.

Now, I have to say, the two inches thing comes from sewing.. for instance, a size 18 will measure 2 inches smaller in the relevant spots than a size 20. A size 18 ... if I remember correctly, is 38" waist, whereas a 20 is 40"? I might be misremembering that.

Do you carry more of your weight in one spot then the rest? My mom, when she loses weight, drops sizes pretty quick because she carries all her weight in her stomach, none in her legs (which are little bird legs), and just a small amount in her upper body/arms. So her weight loss is usually concentrated in her tummy.
As far as I remember it is the 2" thing too! I am very proportionate. My neighbor however it very not. She used to be really skinny and she has very tiny legs and wrists and such and carries all her weight in the belly and butt now. I don't look as much as I weigh which is nice but I have all around huge legs and thats one thing that I am starting to accept with myself that i won't be able to make them smaller as they are mostly muscle now and still big! I think I have put on a lot more muscle since we started, as I said my legs are mostly muscle now which is one the the things that happens fast on me when I start working out. My DH got me this NIKE+ IPod thing that has a part that goes in your shoe and you use your Ipod Nano and it tracks your pace, how far, how long, how many calories and such and it's so neat. Cuz looking up before about seeing how far we walked and how long it took us it would say like 250 cals. With this cuz it calculates how fast you actually walk and stops and how much you weigh it said we burned 570 last night!! Yay!!! Now I want to run a little and see how i do!
See if it really makes a difference! I also gave myself a goal to walk 50 miles in 4 weeks and so far I am at 7.4 I think, in 3 days! Wish me luck guys!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good start on the 50!!! Just need to hit 12.5 a week to get there! You can definitely do that with as much as you've been walking, I think. Good luck!