Weight Loss Support for the Humans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, crazy with stuff! Still need that recipe from Sharky.. think it was sharky..

I am down a total of 6 or so pounds since I started. I went back up 1.2 pounds this week, but, you know, it's been up and down since I started this whole thing. So, I figure overall, if I'm still ahead of where I was when I started, I'm in good shape.

How is everyone else doing?

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's always going to be an up and down thing! I'm kinda at a stand still at 34ish pounds. I really need to up my game and get past that 40 mark. But I too have to keep thinking that I KNOW I am much better off than before. I'm healthier, I feel better, & I'm in smaller clothes! So I know I'm doing SOMETHING right atleast! We just all need to keep with it!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's one of those neverending paths, that hopefully you can find a scenic route that you can deal with being on forever. I'm fluctuating, but overall I guess it's not so bad. What I really need to do is get on board with doing some exercise.

I was considering getting that ... was it "yourself" fitness? I also need to find some dance classes or something around that I can take.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's called "Yourself Fitness" they have it for Xbox, PS2, and PC... It's a really nice one.. Do you have a YMCA there? I've been considering getting a membership there. I went for my walk tonight even though my neighbor didn't feel good and didn't go. 3 1/2 miles and I was down 1 1/2 lbs this week, so hopefully I am on track to passing that mark in a few weeks!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They probably do have a YMCA, but the area I live in is "rich". People here drive expensive cars, live expensive lifestyles, there are country clubs, horses.. have personal trainers... I mean.. you drive down the street here and you don't see an old car with patches on it.. what you see are BMW SUVS, Hummers, Land Rovers, Mazaratis, Porches... so, it's like all fitness clubs. There are like 8 fitness clubs within a five minute drive of me. I'd probalby have to drive a long way to go to get to a YMCA. Having said that, I'm hoping I can find a "dance class" somewhere. Anyway, I'll figure something out.

Good job on the walking and weight loss!!!!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just checked in here and haveb't started at the beginning, so I don't know if I am missing a protocol. I need to lose 40 pounds, I am on the beginning scale of Obese, and I just won't stick to a diet for more than a few days. When I do, I can lose weight. The susanne somers diet is not bad. I was reading some of the food posts on here, and to quote
My pesto is fresh basil, parmesean cheese, pine nuts, and olive oil... I've been trying to think of a way to cut back on the amount of oil used to make it a lower fat/lower calories sauce. I love my pesto, but I don't ever get to eat it if I'm being healthy.
I love pesto to, and have substitiuted walnuts for pine nuts for cost and health. They taste great in it, I would give it a try.
The other post was about tofu. I like tofu, but I read that it slows down the thyroid, or can cause thyroid problems, so I stopped eating it.
I know a lot about nutrition, I know how to lose weight, but I LOOVVEEE candy, cake, sugar, always did.
Maybe posting here will make me get serious enough to lose more thatn 3 pounds and quit.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No particular protocol except that you have to want to either maintain your weight or take some off... actually, I'm not sure that's even a protocol.

Welcome aboard! I hadn't heard that about tofu, but that's interesting and certainly something I'm going to have to look into, although I don't eat it regularly. I do like it as a substitute for chicken sometimes, because I'm just *really* picky about chicken and I often just get "turned sour".

Anyway... jump onboard and share whatever you like.. frustrations, successes, recipes, workouts, questions, suggestions, etc.. we have some before/after pictures somewhere in here too.

Good luck!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

They probably do have a YMCA, but the area I live in is "rich". People here drive expensive cars, live expensive lifestyles, there are country clubs, horses.. have personal trainers... I mean.. you drive down the street here and you don't see an old car with patches on it.. what you see are BMW SUVS, Hummers, Land Rovers, Mazaratis, Porches... so, it's like all fitness clubs. There are like 8 fitness clubs within a five minute drive of me. I'd probalby have to drive a long way to go to get to a YMCA. Having said that, I'm hoping I can find a "dance class" somewhere. Anyway, I'll figure something out.

Good job on the walking and weight loss!!!!
Tell some of those hoitey-toity people to give up some time and space at the club!!
I'll come with ya!
You think they'd ship me an underground pool and a yard bing enough to hold it?

Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I just checked in here and haveb't started at the beginning, so I don't know if I am missing a protocol. I need to lose 40 pounds, I am on the beginning scale of Obese, and I just won't stick to a diet for more than a few days. When I do, I can lose weight. The susanne somers diet is not bad. I was reading some of the food posts on here, and to quote
I love pesto to, and have substitiuted walnuts for pine nuts for cost and health. They taste great in it, I would give it a try.
The other post was about tofu. I like tofu, but I read that it slows down the thyroid, or can cause thyroid problems, so I stopped eating it.
I know a lot about nutrition, I know how to lose weight, but I LOOVVEEE candy, cake, sugar, always did.
Maybe posting here will make me get serious enough to lose more thatn 3 pounds and quit.
I hope that you can get something from this and find that we are all in the same boat. I hope that you can talk to us and that that helps you stick with this longer than you have before! Good luck! We've all been there or are there now!

No particular protocol except that you have to want to either maintain your weight or take some off... actually, I'm not sure that's even a protocol.

Welcome aboard! I hadn't heard that about tofu, but that's interesting and certainly something I'm going to have to look into, although I don't eat it regularly. I do like it as a substitute for chicken sometimes, because I'm just *really* picky about chicken and I often just get "turned sour".

Anyway... jump onboard and share whatever you like.. frustrations, successes, recipes, workouts, questions, suggestions, etc.. we have some before/after pictures somewhere in here too.

Good luck!
I had't heard of that with the tofu either. Very interesting.

I walked 3 1/2 miles on tuesday and 3 1/2 miles on thursday but I didn't walk on wednesday. I've been busting my butt at work again, but I am feeling good about everything. The weather has been just georgous! I have been also trying to get a little tan which is really hard for me since I am like casper, but I've been tanning in the bed at work about every three days for about 6-8 minutes. We'll see if it actually will give me some color to my legs! That's about it for me.

How's everyone else? What did you do this week that you are proud of?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, well, I'll be proud of myself when I get the house clean today. Hehe, that's a project.. and I'm proud of Joyeux for not being evil at the vet today.. of course, he just gave her the shot while I was holding her in my arms and the fuss was minimal, compared to the huge fight including claws and teeth they went through to get her temperature last weekend...

I also got information to help with cat rescue today. So, nothing weight/health oriented, but.. well, I will be getting some exercise cleaning.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also am on Weight Watchers. I am actually a life time member for many years but never seem to keep the weight off so I have to keep starting over again. As of the start of this rejoining, I had to lose 86 lbs. Have been going for 9 weeks and have lost a total of 14.2 lbs so far. I have been drinking the water and writing everything in my journal. The only restaurant I go to once a week is Applebees since I can count the points there, they have a special WW menu and the food is delish. If I would go to another restaurant, I would feel like I was cheating since it's difficult to know just how many points I would be consuming. Have you ever gone to the WW forum, they have chat boards there so when I have a question, I go there and usually get the answer, good luck on your weight loss.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Rant -> I know this thread has been going for ages, but i think i'm checking in. I don't know exactly what goes on here.

I've been trying to lose weight for maybe 10 or more years. I was a slightly chubby child (but not overweight), but once i started high school in 1996 the weight really piled on from stress. I've tried different diets, excercise, writing journals etc. My weight has gone up and down. Numerous deaths, disappointments and bullying affecting my mental and emotional state in my life have been great excuses for gobbling down chocolate and bad food and not getting off my arse.

After i did my trial day at the furniture factory about 2 months ago, my hip has been really sore (i had a dislocated hip when i was born, and got a femoral osteotomy as well as them fixing the hip joint). I'd only get pain maybe after a really really long walk or if i was really tired, but now after this trial (where i supported my weight on my opposite leg but ended up hurting myself anyway) there's been so much pain. It may just be a pinched nerve. Sometimes it will hurt just walking the 100 odd metres to the bus stop, other times it may take half a day of walking. I am scared sh*tless of going to the doc (i don't like hospitals and i don't have the money do make myself pretty).

I did join the gym last year for 6 months to boost my health, and i was doing really well with food as well, but in between i got tonsillitis (twice, first time doc gave me wrong meds and i got sick 10 times worse) and it took me a couple of months to recover, and the few months of membership i had left, i just gave up. I'm still looking for work, and still having problems with Tristan (not on his behalf) and i'm so stressed, and the food is always here at home, and trying to deal with my father. I'm at my wits end.

Tristan says i am beautiful, he doesn't see my flaws (he needs new glasses). We might call up my local gym and see what their prices are like, that he could drive down after work and meet me and we can go there a couple of times a week and start slowly. I have tried a billion times, i don't have the willpower or mental strength to go 'there's a salad sandwich, and takeaway in front of me, i know i can eat the salad and feel good about myself'. Years ago i had a relative (possibly my dads mum) say to me 'you know, you are pretty, but you'd be stunning if you lost the weight', i think dad has also said this at some point. I know people being pr*cks should encourage me to do something, but it makes me feel worse and eat more.

I dont know what to do. I feel if i try again tomorrow, it will only last a few days as usual *sighs* As i have been a part of TCS for 10 months now, i'm hoping from the amazing things i've heard and seen from you all, that i might actually be able to improve my health so i can live a long and happy life, and maybe if i get better self esteem it might improve the mental blocks i have about having a relationship.

Sorry for the long post *sighs*

Emma.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Rant -> I know this thread has been going for ages, but i think i'm checking in. I don't know exactly what goes on here.

I've been trying to lose weight for maybe 10 or more years. I was a slightly chubby child (but not overweight), but once i started high school in 1996 the weight really piled on from stress. I've tried different diets, excercise, writing journals etc. My weight has gone up and down. Numerous deaths, disappointments and bullying affecting my mental and emotional state in my life have been great excuses for gobbling down chocolate and bad food and not getting off my arse.

After i did my trial day at the furniture factory about 2 months ago, my hip has been really sore (i had a dislocated hip when i was born, and got a femoral osteotomy as well as them fixing the hip joint). I'd only get pain maybe after a really really long walk or if i was really tired, but now after this trial (where i supported my weight on my opposite leg but ended up hurting myself anyway) there's been so much pain. It may just be a pinched nerve. Sometimes it will hurt just walking the 100 odd metres to the bus stop, other times it may take half a day of walking. I am scared sh*tless of going to the doc (i don't like hospitals and i don't have the money do make myself pretty).

I did join the gym last year for 6 months to boost my health, and i was doing really well with food as well, but in between i got tonsillitis (twice, first time doc gave me wrong meds and i got sick 10 times worse) and it took me a couple of months to recover, and the few months of membership i had left, i just gave up. I'm still looking for work, and still having problems with Tristan (not on his behalf) and i'm so stressed, and the food is always here at home, and trying to deal with my father. I'm at my wits end.

Tristan says i am beautiful, he doesn't see my flaws (he needs new glasses). We might call up my local gym and see what their prices are like, that he could drive down after work and meet me and we can go there a couple of times a week and start slowly. I have tried a billion times, i don't have the willpower or mental strength to go 'there's a salad sandwich, and takeaway in front of me, i know i can eat the salad and feel good about myself'. Years ago i had a relative (possibly my dads mum) say to me 'you know, you are pretty, but you'd be stunning if you lost the weight', i think dad has also said this at some point. I know people being pr*cks should encourage me to do something, but it makes me feel worse and eat more.

I dont know what to do. I feel if i try again tomorrow, it will only last a few days as usual *sighs* As i have been a part of TCS for 10 months now, i'm hoping from the amazing things i've heard and seen from you all, that i might actually be able to improve my health so i can live a long and happy life, and maybe if i get better self esteem it might improve the mental blocks i have about having a relationship.

Emma.
It's what we're here for, Emma! Get on here, and talk about the things that bother you. It totally helps me to be able to completely discuss all the things that bug me or that I've been having problems with.

If it were me (and I need to do this too, cause I'm waking up every morning with an aching back..) I'd go to a chiropractor. If it's a pinched nerve, they may be able to adjust whichever bones are pinching the nerves. If you go to a regular doctor, they just medicate it and they're not taking care of the root of the problem. I know here people sort of pish posh that chiropractors aren't real doctors, but I have to say, I've had a lot of luck with them, and my mother had a lot of problems where her motion had been limited for years..she'd had a few pinched nerves, and because she went to doctors instead of a chiropractor (until a doctor finally suggested she go to a chiropractor).. her bones did a bit of fusing.. but after she'd gone to a chiropractor, after a while they were able to restore quite a bit (like 80%) of her mobility by unpinching the nerves and realigning her bones to where they should have been. Anyway, I'd at least check with one. I personally think it makes a huge difference, although it often takes more than one session.

I know exactly how you feel about getting on board with doing the "diet" thing, although technically we're not supposed to call them diets.. we're supposed to call them life changes or eating healthier..but anyway, I can't ever stick to one for a long period of time. That's probably the way it is for most of us (or my guess is most of us would be a lot thinner). Regardless, though, what our Weight Watchers leader was saying is that you have to go one day at a time. Make it through the day you're on, and don't think about the days in front of you. And if you have a bad day..don't think about what you've already done, think about what you're going to do tomorrow, and just concentrate on getting through that day.

Some of the things that I've done to cut back on my calories ... eat less fatty cuts of meat. Cut back on butter (we have a great spray here that tastes really good from "I can't believe it's not butter"). It works really well on a lot of things, including baked potatos, toast, english muffins, bagels, etc. Yogurt works well in place of sour cream, and loads less calories (and the full flavored full fat version of yogurt is only nominally higher than the fat free). I've started using higher grain breads, pastas, and if I use white sliced bread, I just get the "lite" versions, which are half the calories. I've made an effort not to cut my Coke out completely, but to cut back on how many I drink in a day. Personally, I find that I don't do well when I have to choose between a steak, or a salad. Obviously I'm going to choose the steak. I just try to cut down on what calories I'm getting from it by doing something like having veggies (and eating the lowest calorie things first). If it comes with a sauce, get it on the side and just dip the tip in to get the flavor..cut off all the visible fat... so, that's how I try to do things.

I'm just trying to take things one step at a time.. one small change for the better, turn that into a habit, and then make another small change for the better. I've had a lot more success doing it that way than trying to just jump into all the changes at once whole heartedly.

Another thing I've found helps me is if I write myself notes. A note on the computer to see if I've logged in my foods for the day. A note near the sink to remind me to drink water. A note on the fridge saying..."are you really hungry?" which prompts me to not eat something if I'm not, but also prompts me to eat something healthier if I am.. I make small goals. I want to lose 5 pounds. I want to walk one extra set of stairs a day. And then I put a note with that on it somewhere I can see it often throughout the day, and concentrate on that goal. Reward yourself (like, my reward is.. I want to lose 5 pounds, but if I lose that 5 pounds and some extra.. great, give myself $2 for every one pound I've lost, and buy myself something with it.) And then set a new mini goal.

And don't let yourself be discouraged by seeing your weight change..sometimes it goes up. Sometimes it goes down, but as long as it's progressively going down, over time, you're accomplishing what you're setting out to do. It's not an easy process. And your weight fluctuates, so weighing yourself (supposedly once a week is best), is not the best indicator of whether you're succeeding or not.

Hopefully some of that is helpful to you. I'm not big on the exercise department.. there are several others here who have really done well in that department, whereas I haven't, so maybe they can chime in with their advice on how to get more or get motivated in that department.

Glad you joined us Emma! Hopefully we can get you motivated!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chelle

I have been walking about 1 mile a day and i feel wonderful
Congrats Chelle!! Keep up the good work!

Hmm, well, I'll be proud of myself when I get the house clean today. Hehe, that's a project.. and I'm proud of Joyeux for not being evil at the vet today.. of course, he just gave her the shot while I was holding her in my arms and the fuss was minimal, compared to the huge fight including claws and teeth they went through to get her temperature last weekend...

I also got information to help with cat rescue today. So, nothing weight/health oriented, but.. well, I will be getting some exercise cleaning.
Doing anything is better than sitting on your butt is what me and my neighbor always say! Also, your mental health is just as important. You being happy about things like the cat rescue help you think more positively about everything! Good job!

Originally Posted by LaRussa

I also am on Weight Watchers. I am actually a life time member for many years but never seem to keep the weight off so I have to keep starting over again. As of the start of this rejoining, I had to lose 86 lbs. Have been going for 9 weeks and have lost a total of 14.2 lbs so far. I have been drinking the water and writing everything in my journal. The only restaurant I go to once a week is Applebees since I can count the points there, they have a special WW menu and the food is delish. If I would go to another restaurant, I would feel like I was cheating since it's difficult to know just how many points I would be consuming. Have you ever gone to the WW forum, they have chat boards there so when I have a question, I go there and usually get the answer, good luck on your weight loss.
Congratulations on your weight loss! I hope that you are able to lose what you'd like and keep it off a good long time.

Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Emma.
I agree that you may need to see a chiropractor for your hip. If it is bothering you there is no motivation to work out to make yourself feel better because it just will make you hurt worse. Letting out all your frustrations and anger and thoughts to us will also help you quite a bit. (it has helped me) Giving youself small and reasonable goals is a major thing as well. You are dooming yourself to failure if you set a huge goal in an unreasonable amount of time and will make you second guess everything you are doing and make you wonder if it's even making a difference. You have to start small. I have been doing really well with my exercising, but I stated small. Started with walking around the block. Did that for a few weeks. Then around the block and down to a dead end and back. Did that for a few weeks. Then up to going around the lake. Then going around the lake and around the neighborhood. To where now, I do 3 1/2 miles a day and I've walked 4 miles twice and 5 miles once. I am giving myself new lenght goals, or try to speed up my time, but if I don't make it I don't beat myself up over it. I try harder next time, and keep trying until I do it! When working out inside. Started out barely making it through the routine, then getting more proficient, then adding a workout step, then adding hand weights, and adding foot weights. I make it though all of it now and am having a blast. When I need a new bump with that we'll tell it to increase the difficulty. But it still has to be slow. You can push yourself too fast, and if you feel you are getting anywhere, come talk to us. We've all been there, we've all tried and failed at something too. We're here for you!
Good luck and keep trying!

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you SillyJill for the donation

I hurt my ankle last week and i couldn't walk for a week but
Thank goodness it's getting better and i can walk more

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chelle

Thank you SillyJill for the donation

I hurt my ankle last week and i couldn't walk for a week but
Thank goodness it's getting better and i can walk more
You are so welcome and I am glad to hear that you are getting better and getting to walk more!!!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont have time to read through all the posts right now, but I found this awesome new brand of food!

Its called Amy's Kitchen and all her food is organic and healthy for you, and contains no meat and alot of it is nondairy (not sure if its most or all, I forget). Her food is DELICIOUS. It ranges from pot pies, to asian, to indian, to mexican, to pizza, snacks, soups, veggie burgers to everything! Im sitting here eating a "Black Bean Enchilada Whole Meal" its delicioussss and you'd never know its frozen, and its NOT diet food. But its really healthy for you! Since all of you are on diets and looking for more choices in the foods you eat, seriously try her out.

www.amyskitchen.com

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they have that brand at whole foods. I seem to recall that it was really good too. I'll have to look for them again.

Thanks!!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think they have that brand at whole foods. I seem to recall that it was really good too. I'll have to look for them again.

Thanks!!
Yeah they do, they also have them at regular grocery stores. Theres a section in the site where you can find stores where their food is distrubitued near you.