Today is J-Day!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: At least it was only a dog crate. I've been known to leave the yard without bolting the stable door!!! :doh3: Luckily, someone else noticed and bolted it for me :rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
At least it was only a dog crate. I've been known to leave the yard without bolting the stable door!!!
Luckily, someone else noticed and bolted it for me
That could have been serious, Columbine! Glad somebody else bolted the door for you.

Rick and I are back here in the computer room. Jackie was out in the living room and she started to fuss. We brought her bed back here and she followed. As soon as her bed hit the floor, she hit her bed and, as I type, she is snoring away. She just wanted to be back here with us, I think. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least it was only a dog crate. I've been known to leave the yard without bolting the stable door!!!
Luckily, someone else noticed and bolted it for me
You were lucky. I grew up on a farm and went through the typical wanting a horse that I think most girls go through.  My father was having none of it.  One of the reasons he gave was that they will always find a way to get through a fence then they have to be chased down and brought home.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: At least it was only a dog crate. I've been known to leave the yard without bolting the stable door!!! :doh3: Luckily, someone else noticed and bolted it for me :rolleyes:
You were lucky. I grew up on a farm and went through the typical wanting a horse that I think most girls go through.  My father was having none of it.  One of the reasons he gave was that they will always find a way to get through a fence then they have to be chased down and brought home.
That does happen. There's an equine escape artist stabled near the animal shelter that's gotten out so many times that I have his owner on speed dial. :lol3:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Luckily my old mare was a patient soul who tended to stay put, and Collie ADORES her stable.....though she did used to limbo dance under the fence in her field to get access to the richer grass next door :rolleyes: Thank goodness for electric fencing :lol3:

Jackie just sounds sweeter and sweeter Pam. I really hope all the issues get worked out soon :vibes:

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily my old mare was a patient soul who tended to stay put, and Collie ADORES her stable.....though she did used to limbo dance under the fence in her field to get access to the richer grass next door
Thank goodness for electric fencing

Jackie just sounds sweeter and sweeter Pam. I really hope all the issues get worked out soon
Pam, I think Jackie is thinking she is now at her 'forever' home....

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Called the vet.....Jackie's appt is Monday at 4:00, check-up, probably some blood work, a good nail trimming.

Ordered her a thundershirt and some Composure from Amazon

Evelyn came down yesterday for Thanksgiving. Jackie went over to her and said Hello, but she really wasn't all that excited to see her. When Evelyn left, I took Jackie out for a walk. She didn't even care that Evelyn was leaving. She didn't think she was going along; she didn't get excited. Rick helped his mother into the car and Jackie did nothing. There was really no reaction. She and I walked around the yard, she peed, we walked around again for a bit and came back in the house. Jackie jumped up on the couch and promptly fell asleep.

This morning, Rick had her outside. I walked out to put something in the trash can. Jackie came bounding over to see me, I bent down and she gave me a big kiss. We are now her people. She knows it. She wags that tail of her so much that her whole body just wriggles.

She's getting a bath this afternoon. 
That's really great news. Rick probably reminds her of his father and since she was his dog, this might make her feel more comfortable. My dog was a daddy's girl too. She does not like other men coming into our house but she adores his father. Other men get screamed at. He gets a pass.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
That has a lot to do with why we took Jackie to begin with. She was family and you don't just dump family. Had she gone to a completely strange home, yeah, she probably would have done OK. But it wouldn't have been fair to her. Her home had been with Rick's parents for quite a few years and she loved Rick's father. When he passed away, Rick's mother didn't deal with Jackie, other than to take her out and feed her. That was pretty much it. But every time Rick went to see his mom, he always took Jackie out for a good walk and I think they bonded very well. She adores Rick; you can see it in her eyes....she just loves him.  She likes me, too, and I'm doing everything to make her happy and I think that, overall, she is happy here. I do believe that. It's just that she's been through so much.

This morning, after she went outside and had her breakfast, she was thirsty. Now she has her own food bowl and her own water bowl. But evidently, it's more fun to share. And BooBoo didn't care as long as Jackie made room for him to get a drink, too. BooBoo's going to be 20 years old in February. At this point, he's seen it all in our house. He takes everything in stride.

Honestly, everybody is adapting well. Muffin doesn't like Jackie being in her space and she's constantly yelling at her to get away. But she's not afraid of the dog; she just doesn't like her being so close. It's like that song by the Police, "Don't stand so close to me!!"
 (I think that's who sang it). 

Yesterday morning, I brought her bed back here in the computer room because Rick and I were both on our computers. She came back and flopped down on her bed. And soon we heard her snoring away. She's happy when she's with us; I guess we're her pack. Molli was sleeping on her pillow, Tabby was napping in the cat tree, and Muffin was in her stroller. It was really peaceful. During the afternoon, Rick was working in the bedroom and I was over here in the computer room. Jackie didn't know where she wanted to go, so she settled down in the hallway between the two rooms. Every once in a while, she visited with Rick, then she'd visit with me, then go back and lay down in the hallway. (And, in fact, she's napping in the hallway right now. Rick's in the bedroom and I'm on the computer. I hear her snoring.)

If we can get her to calm down when we go away and stop the peeing, we'll be in good shape, I think. 

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really think she will be okay, it will just take some time.  She's insecure right now which is understandable.  I think given time she will realize that she is really home and that when people leave they do come back.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really love that picture too Pam, I think Boo and Jackie are becoming friends.  The good thing is that Boo can't hear her when she starts baying or barking so she isn't afraid of her.  I don't think any of the cats are afraid of her but it seems she is becoming closer to Boo right now and that's sweet

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I love the picture of Jackie and Boo. The peeing and anxiety should lessen and hopefully disappear given a little more time. She's had some major upheaval in her life recently.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
She really likes being with her "pack" and she considers us members of her pack. 
 Yesterday we were back in the bedroom, finishing up carpet removal and moving stuff around. Jackie was in bed with BooBoo, Ms. Pepe, and Mollipop. And if that wasn't a crowded bed! She would watch us for a while, then we'd hear her start to snore. Then she'd wake up and watch for a while. If one of us left the room, she followed us.....she's the nosiest dog and has to know exactly what we're doing. I wish she'd use the steps to get on and off the bed....it can't be good for her to jump off onto that hard floor. We are trying to get her to use the steps, but she'd rather just jump.

Jackie growled at Mollipop yesterday....she was lying at the foot of the bed and Molli wanted to come to bed, too. Jackie wanted no part of that. I told Miss J NO and motioned for Molli to jump into bed. She did, walked up to my pillow, and curled up. Jackie hhumphed and went to sleep.

For the most part, when the kids eat, she either goes into the living room or she waits by her food bowl for her Jibble. When the cats eat, she also eats and she's starting to realize that. She is NOT a dumb dog. Not at all!

No accidents at all since Thursday. (But I think that's because, for the most part, we've stayed home and in the house. No reason for her to be overly upset since we were there most of the time.)

Vet appt today at 4, We'll see if she does have a bladder infection. 

Rick has been thinking of retiring in 2016. Now he says he has to retire, just so he can stay home and take care of Miss J. (I hope he's kidding!)

I do really appreciate your suggestions and reading about her. I am more grateful than you know. 

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love how Jackie and the cats are getting on so well. Leah occasionally growls at Asha too - definitely NOT allowed (unless Asha started it by hitting her :lol3: :rolleyes: ). Cats (unless they're being unforgivably rude) always come first! :catguy:

I wouldn't worry too much about Jackie jumping straight on the floor - that's what our dogs have always done. They seem to feel more comfortable that way.

Hope the vet visit goes well :vibes:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear Jackie is feeling much more at home. In face she is feeling at home!

My gut feeling is telling me that Jackie does not have a bladder infection or UTI. I think her peeing was from stress/anxiety.

I am glad you are taking her to the Vet, just in case. Always better to be safe than sorry. 

Jackie is not part of your family or pack!    

I love hearing the stories of Jackie and you guys creating a strong bond. Keep them coming!!

((hugs))

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do have progress....this morning, Rick took Jackie out to pee and I fed the kids. All six cats came out for breakfast, just like they always did. No fuss, nothing. Six cats in the kitchen. Six cats eating breakfast. Life was good. They finished their breakfast and I was able to get the plates off the floor before Jackie came back inside. I gave her her breakfast, she ate and flopped down. No crating needed.

But last night, I went into the bathroom and somebody had peed on our bathroom rug. I picked the rug up and it was dripping, so I'm pretty sure it was The Beagle. I got it downstairs into the washer and hit it with some Lysol and then again with detergent. But honestly, Jackie goes outside; it's not that we ignore her when she has to go....I swear. She was taken out seven times yesterday and each time she peed. Most of the time she pees twice, a little here, a little there. I don't get it. Unless it's still the newness of it all. I hope so. I had opened the gate a bit for her to have access to the rest of the house and that must have been when she peed. We don't keep the rug on the floor; we basically use it when we've showered. And then put it back on the edge of tub when we're done. I will have to remember to put it back in the morning.

Life sure is interesting around here lately. We're trying.
Could it be that she's trying to put her smell around the house for comfort?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is Jackie? She could be incontinent if she is older and has no control over the peeing in the house.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Jackie is not part of your family or pack!    
OMGosh!!  What a crazy typo or spell check error that was!

I meant to say :   Jackie is NOW part of your family or pack....      sorry    I should learn to proof read my posts!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Just got home from the vet. Jackie had blood work done, which shows that everything is completely normal. They could not get a urine sample, so we have to put a tray under her tomorrow morning to try to collect her urine (and what a trip that will be!). Claws are clipped. 

Vet didn't say much at all about her anxiety issues....we said that we were going to try the Thundershirt and the Composure. She just kind of looked at us and said OK. 

I'm not real happy with this vet, but this is where Jackie has always gone and we hate to change her to our vet. Although that may come down the road. I don't sense a lot of compassion at all. I don't sense a lot of caring. But I guess if she does her job, that's what counts.

Jackie is 11 years old. I don't think the urination is incontinence. I think it's all related to her anxiety.