Today is J-Day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
So far, today has been a good day for all of us. Breakfast went smoothly. As I was putting the cats' lunch plates down, Jackie turned around and walked over to her dish and sat down...I gave her her lunch, she ate and life was good. Tonight at dinner, I did have to say, "Room! Room!" and point a couple times, but she went in the room and sat down. After I put the cats' plates down, I gave Jackie her supper. She gobbled her food down, I said, "Room!" and she went into the living room. Everybody ate supper. After I picked the plates up, she came back out to the kitchen and nosed around, just to make sure nobody dropped anything.

The cats are dealing well. Muffin likes to mutter when Jackie gets into her space, but other than that, they're fine. Pepe and Tabby are still wary, but they want their food and their kibble, so they come out. Tabby is coming out more often than she did. Boo doesn't care one way or the other. He really likes Jackie's new bed and is probably wondering why he didn't have such a neat bed before this.

We've been giving her free rein in the house the past couple of days, BUT I do have a gate at the bathroom door, so she can't go in....those feline Hershey bars are just too tempting for her. No accidents....she's been out nine times so far today (yes, I count!) and she does pee every time, not a lot, but she does something. I think she feels obligated to pee because we're taking her out so often. 
 But the exercise is good for her and for me, too, so I'm not going to squabble. 10-minute walks around the yard are better than no walks. I'm trying to get her to run or at least lope a little bit, but the smells in the yard are just too tempting for her. She sniffs everything. She'll probably go out twice yet before today is done. (And I can see on my Fitbit Dashboard every time I take her outside because my steps increase a little bit.
 Every little bit helps.)

Jackie was sleeping on the couch earlier. I started taking pictures down from the walls to put some Christmas things up. She opened one eye, realized that I was doing something and she had to get up to check things out. She follows us everywhere. I swear she thinks, "What ARE these people doing? Just about the time I get used to something, they change everything around! Sure was a lot quieter at my old house!"

She's been "helping" me clean the living room today and she's been helping me with laundry. The cats' pillow for the living room bay window goes into a pillow case and the only way I can do that is by putting the whole thing on the floor. Jackie thought that was great fun; she rolled around on the pillow case, belly up, tail wagging the whole time. And right now, she's helping Rick pull up some of the carpeting in the bedroom. Rick is taking the carpet up; Jackie is laying on the carpet padding watching every move. And she's doing a lot of investigating. That tail of hers never stops wagging; I think that's a good thing.

Rick said she's going to be one tired pup tonight. She's been a busy girl today.

I'm wondering, too, Carol, what she's going to do when Evelyn comes here on Thanksgiving. And what she'll do when it comes time for her to leave again, if Jackie'll fuss to go along. Hopefully, she'll just say, "Bye! Catch you later!" and snuggle on the couch. I don't want her to be too confused.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like everything is going well (touch wood). Dogs definitely seem to like 'helping' with housework - though, interestingly, I've only ever observed this behaviour in girls! :confuse3: :lol3:

I really hope all goes well when Evelyn does visit. I have to say, though, that Jackie's sounding so happy to be with you the I can't see there being a big issue :cross:

:vibes: that things continue going great.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Never mind. Jackie just peed back in the hallway. I was making the bed, turned around and saw her just as she finished. I grabbed her and hauled her butt back to the spot and said, 'No, No, NO!" 

Cripes, it hadn't even been two hours since I had her outside. Not even two hours. And this was in a totally different spot. Rick immediately took her outside and she peed twice and then pooped.

I'm calling her vet tomorrow for an appointment to see if it's bladder or kidney related. If it's not and it's behavioral, well, I'm sorry and you can yell at me all you want, but I am not dealing with it. I'm just not. I can't. It's not fair to the cats and I'm scared to death that it will teach them that it's OK not to use the litter box. That broke my heart tonight.

I cannot handle a dog peeing in my house.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Damn :( No one will think the worse of you if this doesn't work out. Its amazing of you to even be trying this - many wouldn't even contemplate it. I've always said one's first duty is to one's existing animals (the cats in your case). Their wellbeing HAS to come first :hugs:

I really hope there is a resolution for this - it might simply be that you're still learning each other's signals and routine. However irrational (given the short time lapse), it sounds like Jackie was desperate for the loo. Sometimes dogs just don't give very clear signals :sigh:

I really hope you get some answers from the vet and/or that this can easily be sorted out :hugs: :vibes:

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the dogs I've ever known have had trouble going in the right place when we first got them. What we've always done is had them go out every hour at first (when we're home) and then slowly cut it back overtime. When she does pee on the floor, tell her no firmly and then take her outside immediately. Dogs are like cats in that they usually don't understand discipline that comes much more than a few seconds after what they've done wrong. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The vet said she'd check her out, but she really thinks it's just the new environment. She told me to give her another week and see how things go.

But my god. I went home today at lunch and heard her screaming in the house as soon as I got out of the car. Opened the door and she was at the top of the steps screaming this high-pitched whine and she was frantic. I didn't react to the yipping (because that's what she does when she's been left alone for longer than five minutes and I'm trying not to react), simply walked out to the kitchen, got her leash, clipped her up and we went outside. The whole time we were out, all she did was that high-pitched yipping (the dogs next door were over at the property line at the underground dog fence, trying to figure out what the heck was going on; they looked like they were even on edge). She did pee, but not right away; we were way up in the back yard before she finally went. Came back in the house and she's still doing that yipping. Gave her her apple pieces and she ate them. Fed Boo, Amber, and Molli their lunch as they're the only ones who wanted to come to the kitchen in that mess. Gave Jackie her lunch and she was still carrying on. The neighbors probably thought I was killing her!

I went to the bathroom, came out, and she's on the other side of the gate, still in her frenzied state. I finally had enough. I yelled at her (which I know doesn't help, but it was awful), grabbed my car keys, and walked out. And as I was going out the door, she's STILL carrying on....because I was leaving again. I sat out in the car, listening to her. Texted Rick, told him I was finished. Completely finished. I will not do that day after day. 

As far as I'm concerned, I'll crate her in the morning and she can stay there the day. Rick had told me that her craziness was really bad. I hadn't seen it before, but we've been pretty much home all weekend. Today was just ridiculous. I am not going through that again. She's just nuts. I really pity the cats. It's just one thing after another. And my patience is wearing very thin.

Rick is running an errand this afternoon right after work. I can't believe I have to go through that all over again. I'm seriously considering staying here at work until I know he's home and he's dealt with her. Seriously, that's how bad things are.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read this post after my last email.  I didn't realize you had already spoken to the vet.  I just hope Jackie will calm down soon, it's hard and very new for all of you including Jackie.

I pray things will change for the better and soon.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you said she's a beagle? All of the beagles I have ever known have been obnoxious about being separated from their owners for any amount of time. This apparently (based on information from people who breed beagles) is because they were bred to live in groups and never alone. It is against their nature to be alone. I know getting another dog isn't probably an option, but I wanted to give you some information on your breed to help possibly foster some understanding.

This is a dog that has been used to a certain life and was torn from it. She has to have time to adjust to a new home and your situation. I know it is frustrating and your cats come first, but if you give it time this all might work itself out as she gets used to this and calms down. A week isn't likely to be enough for that though. She will probably need real time (a month or more) to adjust.

I worry about her chances of finding a home if not with you due to her age. A home with other dogs (especially other beagles) is ideal for her. Perhaps contact some beagle rescues if it comes to this? (Which I hope it doesn't).

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My in-laws had five beagles, including Jackie. Not one dog ever carried on this way. Ever. They may not have liked being alone (and I get that, really I do), but they never carried on the way she does. They had had another female, who was fine. 

Rick came home from work and took her out to try to run some energy off of her. He had to leave before I got home to run an errand. She carried on the same way with him. Not even 15 minutes later, I came home and we went through the same thing all over again. The barking, the high-pitching yipping and whining. The whole thing.

I get that she's had a really rough year. She lost her person when Rick's dad passed and his mom didn't give two hoots about her. I get that if we turn her in, chances are she will be euthanized. She's elderly and she has some really serious behavioral problems. I understand all that. And I understand that a week isn't nearly long enough for things to become a routine. 

But I see how my cats are running around the house, not knowing where to turn or how to deal with any of it. They are trying to handle things. We are trying to handle things. It was fine for the first few days and I really thought it was going to be OK. But now? I honestly don't know. And I don't know what happened. The only thing that changed is that we both went back to work.

We're going to stop in at PetSmart about obedience training when we go for groceries tonight. And I'm going to look for D.A.P.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Pam. I get how difficult and frustrating all this must be. All you can do is try. Things absolutely can't go on as they are - its not fair to any of you.

Don't know if it's worth trying, but Composure can be used for dogs as well as cats. Maybe it could help Jackie get a handle on her anxieties. It does seem like things could potentially work if only she could learn to chill out.

Mega :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Running her good before leaving home, which I know is a time consuming pain and then crating her before leaving home may actually help.  Cover the crate so there is no visual stimulus.  I know you don't like the crating  but it really may help especially if you tire her out right before.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Running her good before leaving home, which I know is a time consuming pain and then crating her before leaving home may actually help.  Cover the crate so there is no visual stimulus.  I know you don't like the crating  but it really may help especially if you tire her out right before.
:yeah: Crating can be a really positive experience for a dog. We still have our lab's crate up, and she puts herself to bed there every night...and sometimes in the day too. When we had crates downstairs both dogs would regularly choose to go in them for a nap. So long as the crate isn't associated with punishment it really can become a dog's 'safe space'. There's no need to feel bad about it.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: Crating can be a really positive experience for a dog. We still have our lab's crate up, and she puts herself to bed there every night...and sometimes in the day too. When we had crates downstairs both dogs would regularly choose to go in them for a nap. So long as the crate isn't associated with punishment it really can become a dog's 'safe space'. There's no need to feel bad about it.
:yeah:
Just agreeing with this. Crates are usually the dog's safe place to go to and they should be quite happy to go into them and rest.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, guys. I really do appreciate you listening to me and your suggestions.

I'm going home today at lunch.....I can't make her go all day without going outside. I just can't. Today is another day and I can always hope that things will go better. And I will crate her after she comes in from her walk, so the kids can eat in peace. She needs to learn to listen to me. Not just Rick, but to me, too.

Columbine, the biggest issue is her craziness when we first come home. If we can get that under control, I could handle everything else. (Crate while the cats are eating, etc.) Rick's mom had said that they had tried sedatives on her quite a while ago. They did nothing....she is simply too stressed when she's been left alone. But I'll call the vet again.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't tried it but I have seen Victoria Stillwell working with dogs that have separation anxiety on her show.  She says it is a tough issue and takes a long time.  She would have people go through the ritual of leaving, stay out for a few minutes and come back in.  She would have them do this multiple times each day increasing the time they are gone each time.  She is of the impression that eventually they get the idea that people will come back and they haven't been abandoned.

I have also seen Cesar Milan deal with it.  He uses the crating.  He says that a dog needs to be calm and being crated needs to be done calmly.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam you know how II feel and I will support you in whatever you decide.  I know some of the suggestions here are good ones but it takes a lot of time.  I just wish the best for all of you.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, I know there is a fairly new sedative, calming agent for dogs and cats. It has been used widespread in the UK. Over the past few years it has really increased in popularity with the US Vets. The name is Zyklene.

I have used it in the past for my cat, Artie, when there are fireworks or lots of noise in the apartment building. I can honestly say that it works great. It is based on a protein in mother's milk. 

You give a capsule about 20 minutes before you expect the stress.

It really calmed Artie down to a point where he did not even care about the noise from the fireworks. 

I live near the beach and there is a huge block party every year with a multitude of fireworks on the private beach. It is really over the top, and rivals the surrounding cities festivals. So It is very noisy in this apartment, along with the flashes of light. 

You may want to ask the Vet about trying this, for a few times, until Jackie gets used to the separation. 

The problem is; Jackie was never really trained and he always had Rick's mom around. He just does not know what proper/expected behavior is...poor baby...

Just a suggestion...FWIW