Today is J-Day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

OMGosh!!  What a crazy typo or spell check error that was!

I meant to say :   Jackie is NOW part of your family or pack....      sorry    I should learn to proof read my posts!
 I knew what you meant. 

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not real happy with this vet, but this is where Jackie has always gone and we hate to change her to our vet. Although that may come down the road. I don't sense a lot of compassion at all. I don't sense a lot of caring. But I guess if she does her job, that's what counts.
Pam, if you're not happy with this vet, bring Jackie to your vet.  Bedside manner always makes me feel better and I'm sure it would for a pet also.  Compassion means a lot for a vet to share with her patients and the owners too.  Most vets know what they are doing but always being a loving and compassionate vet just makes it even better.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pam, if you're not happy with this vet, bring Jackie to your vet.  Bedside manner always makes me feel better and I'm sure it would for a pet also.  Compassion means a lot for a vet to share with her patients and the owners too.  Most vets know what they are doing but always being a loving and compassionate vet just makes it even better.
:yeah: I couldn't put it better. Go with the vet you know and trust.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, 

I agree with the others; if you do not care for this Vet, then please take her to your own Vet.  Jackie is your baby now, and should be seen by your own Vet ~~~~ for continuity sake.....They know you and the care you give to your "pack"...

A caring, compassionate, kind Vet would be interested in all of Jackie's behaviors and all the extents you have gone through in order to alleviate them. They would be understanding and helpful; to the point of giving suggestions...

Jackie, and you, deserve a compassionate Vet...if you do not get that, than why go there...

I also agree about the urine specimen. I feel it will be negative also...

In my heart, I know you will switch her over to your Vet. 
    You both deserve the best care you can find..

Since you are Jackie's "new" owners, then you have a right to bring her to whomever you chose. If you feel more comfortable with your own Vet, then all be it......

All you have to do is get a copy of her records..it is very easy.. You will never have to see her old Vet again, so what do you care (?)...

I am really bad...

Thank you for being understanding of my typos...

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Jackie's not due for another vet visit now until June (Rick's parents were only taking her in once a year; we take our kids in twice a year and the geriatrics go in 3-4 times a year). We had taken Jackie in for her regular visit this past June, then we took her in now because of the anxiety issues. So we probably won't take her in again until next June, barring any unforeseen problems that may crop up.

And I'm thinking that, by then, she'll just go to our vets. I like our vets. They are compassionate and they're always willing to talk to me about any problems. They always talk to the kids while they're working on them. They take their time with the kids. (Yeah, they're usually running behind, but that's probably because they take the time to talk to their patients.)

This vet? She took Jackie out of the room to trim claws, to do the bloodwork, to check her anal glands. We heard her whining in the other room and I was not amused. They brought her back into the examining room and she practically ran over to us, hopped up on the bench and sat down between us. I don't think this vet ever smiled the whole time we were there.

When I called for the appointment, I told the receptionist that I was calling for Jackie and told her who her person was. Well, they couldn't find her in their records. They finally found her and the receptionist said, "Her name is NOT Jackie; her name is Jacqueline. Had you given me her correct name, I would have found her." OOOOKay. And although Rick's mother had called in to change the ownership from her to Rick and me, they never bothered to change it. So I'm telling her that her name is Jackie and her people are Rick and Pam. It took a while to find her in their records. And, when we mentioned that we had been given the stuff for kennel cough back in August when Jackie was kenneled because Rick's mom was in hospital, they didn't have that in their records either. So there's no record of her getting her kennel cough vaccine. Which means that since she has to be kenneled again for us to go to that wedding, she will now need another kennel cough vaccine. I was not amused.

Oh, and the vet found two ticks on her. Now she is (and has been for several years) on Sentinel for heartworm and fleas. Rick's mom told us that the Sentinel was good for ticks, too. But evidently not! We had just given her a good bath the other day and I spent a lot of time brushing her out afterward. We got a tube of Advantage II and put that on her neck last night. But now we have to figure out what to do for the ticks in addition to the Sentinel for the heartworms and the fleas. We'll have to see what's on the market and what's safe for her. The cats aren't on anything, so it's important that Jackie not drag anything into the house.

She should have her dog license changed over to us, too, but I think we'll wait until it's time for us to get her new license.

She's getting to be an expensive pup. 

ETA: I think Miss J likes me. Not as much as she loves Rick, but she likes me. Rick and Jackie got to the vet before I did as I came in after work. Rick was sitting in the chair with her. When I walked in, I said, "Hi there, Miss J!" And the body started to wriggle. She came over to me, gave me a kiss, and Rick asked me to take her out for a bit of a walk. There was a lady there with a kitty and she said to Rick, "You have one spoiled dog there!" Rick said, "You don't know the half of it!" When Jackie and I came back inside, the lady said that Rick had told her Jackie's story. And considering that we are technically cat people (she's a big cat person, too), she thought we were doing a great job with our Miss J.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear everything is going well. As she settles in more things should soon normalize. 
 Yay for cat people taking good care of a dog too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Went home today and she went crazy. But no peeing. Got her outside and she yipped maybe 4-5 times and then, that quickly, she was fine. (I think being rained on kind of dampened her spirits; it's really raining right now. 
 ) Came back in the house, I gave all the kids lunch, including Miss J. Her Composure came, so she had one of those, too. Then we went back outside and she peed again. She really does not like the crate. Not at all. She's really fighting me on that.

We have a big queen-sized blanket covering her crate and we have all the drapes pulled shut. But somehow, she got that entire blanket INSIDE her crate! The whole thing! 
 I walked into the kitchen and stood there with my mouth hanging open! I said, "Miss J, how the heck did you manage that?" And she wagged her tail and did her crazy barking thing. But we were fine.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:crackup: :clap: Miss J is one clever girl :lol3:

With the crate - I've always fed all meals inside the crate with my guys (until we had to take them down after Pixie's op). If crate always equals food you'll be surprised at how quickly she decides it's a good place to be ;)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Went home today and she went crazy. But no peeing. Got her outside and she yipped maybe 4-5 times and then, that quickly, she was fine. (I think being rained on kind of dampened her spirits; it's really raining right now. 
 ) Came back in the house, I gave all the kids lunch, including Miss J. Her Composure came, so she had one of those, too. Then we went back outside and she peed again. She really does not like the crate. Not at all. She's really fighting me on that.

We have a big queen-sized blanket covering her crate and we have all the drapes pulled shut. But somehow, she got that entire blanket INSIDE her crate! The whole thing! 
 I walked into the kitchen and stood there with my mouth hanging open! I said, "Miss J, how the heck did you manage that?" And she wagged her tail and did her crazy barking thing. But we were fine.
Every time I have ever covered a dog crate with a blanket the dog has managed to drag the blanket inside. I always thought it was hilarious that they'd rather have it inside than covering the crate.

@Columbine is right though. If you feed her in the crate and give her treats in the crate, she will start to like it much more.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It gave her something to work on and occupy her mind, that could be a good thing.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam. When I had my dog he had a special collar against ticks that was.changed every three months and he never got any more ticks, revolting creatures.
Once before the collar, he had a tick just where women put the black line on thebottom ththe bottoe He was so good. He stood completely still while I took it off his eye and then ran screaming to the toilet with its legs moving and i new. lushed thr revolting creature. That's when we got the collar and voila, no more ticks. He was such a beautiful throw away puppy. Well their loss our gain

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I emailed the beagle rescue last night to see what our options are and to see what the protocol is for giving her up. The crate isn't helping at all; if anything she's gotten worse with the screaming frenzy. She's on two Composure chewies a day; her thundershirt hasn't come in yet (and I think the frenzy is simply too ingrained in her psyche to have anything make much of a difference). And it's worse. It's just horrible.

She is thrashing around in the crate so badly that when I come home at lunch, the crate is at least 2-3 feet away from the wall. I'm afraid she's going to tear the kitchen floor with the bottom of the crate or knock the crate in to the end of the kitchen cabinet. When I came home yesterday at lunch, I took her outside, but she was so hyped-up  that she kept getting her legs caught in the leash. I didn't bother to fix the crate or the blanket. I just put her back inside and came back to work. And since Rick was working an hour of OT, I purposely stayed at work until I knew he had come home, just so I didn't have to deal with her.

Rick was so frustrated that he took the crate to the basement and said she can stay in the basement all day for all he cared. After I calmed down, I got him to bring the crate back upstairs; it's in the living room now, not that it really matters. She's nuts. And I'm sure she's picking up on our frustration and that isn't helping matters much.

I come home at lunch, she starts screaming, and the cats go running. Three cats were sunning in the living room window yesterday when I came home. Til I got in the house, Jackie was screaming frantically, thrashing in the crate, and the cats were gone. I got her outside, back inside, gave her lunch, and all the cats had their lunch...that alone amazes me, that the cats are willing to come out in the madness for lunch. But they do....they come out, gobble their food, and head back to the bedroom again. I came back into work and just sat here at my desk. I was exhausted. Day in and day out, every single day for the rest of her life, sometimes 2-3 times a day, dealing with it? Dear god.

She hates the crate. She was laying on the couch this morning and I called her to the crate. She came over, saw where she was going and headed for her bed. I grabbed her by her collar and got her in the crate (and that's not a good thing either). Gave her the Composure and left for work.

She does have a mild UTI; I stopped at the vet this morning on my way to work to pick her some Amoxi for her. In the 3 weeks she's been here, we have spent a small fortune on this dog.

As long as we don't go anywhere at all, she is fine. We are pretty much house-bound at this point. We don't go anywhere we don't absolutely have to go. Like I said, I emailed the rescue group, but I don't know that they'll take her. I don't know what to do with her. The place she was from originally, where Rick's parents got her, said they're completely full and can't take another dog.

My stress level is somewhere in the stratosphere right now; while Rick is dealing much better than I am, he's frustrated beyond belief at this point. I don't have the time or the energy to even think about Christmas or anything else anymore. Most of the time, I'm bawling my butt off.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.  Some dogs are difficult and need to either be in a farm type situation or with someone very experienced with dogs.  Some breeds need very specific homes and I think the beagle may very well be one of those breeds.  I always look at what a breed was developed for to get an idea of what their inbred behaviors will be.  The beagle was bred to work with a pack of dogs and hunters on horse back.  They did a lot of running and baying when they picked up the scent and continued the baying until they cornered their prey.  Unfortunately Jackie is displaying some of those behaviors with the frenzied running around and screaming.  

I hope you will be able to find a resolution soon.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Pam, I do not know what to say.

You and Rick have a lot of patience and to be at this point, well, It is horrible. 

I know my Cousin had possession of her daughters dog for a long time. A beagle. A really nice dog. She lived in a big house with a fenced in yard. The dog had a lot of room and comfort. He was confined to the kitchen during the day, but was able have the run of the house and yard when someone came home. 

My cousin eventually moved to a 2 bedroom apartment with out a yard. The only time the dog went out was to do his business.

The poor thing was so frustrated that he started eating everything in site. I mean, curtains, bedskirts, etc.

He eventually had to be operated on because of an obstruction. 

My cousin immediately put her foot down to her daughter, and made her take him back. Her daughter does love the dog, but was too busy in her life for the responsibility of caring for it.. 

The dog is now living with my cousin's daughter, in a house, with daily walks...He is so much happier and healthy...It has been been several years and the dog is so happy. 

all I can say is ((hugs))

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Another idea...regular tranquilizers when you are going to work..just for a while....

or obedience training?

Or a pet sitter--for just a while

all this would just be for a while, until Jackie knows what expectations of behavior you have set for her. She seems to be such a different dog when you are home...she seems to really love both you and Rick....

I know, I hate to see her re-homed, again, but if both of you cannot handle things, then may be that is the best thing to do....

or just the tranquilizers until they have a spot for her at the rescue...

this is a busy time of year for them....

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. My understanding is that Rick's parents tried tranquilizers....they did nothing. Her level of anxiety is so ridiculous that nothing works, unless it's such a high level of sedative that it would completely knock her out.  We don't have a pet sitter; we don't have anybody who will come in, unless we pay. And honestly? I'm a little tired of paying. And I don't want to get into a habit of having a pet sitter come in to walk her and have her come to expect that yet. Same with obedience training. We have to pay for those lessons. And I'm tired of spending money on her.

I'm not trying to be snotty, but Boo has a vet appt next Monday night; Muffin has a vet appt on Dec 23rd. It's getting out of control and we are not rich. The new beds, the toys that she shows no interest in, the Composure, the thundershirt, now the vet appt with the blood work and the urinalysis, plus the Amoxi now for the bladder infection. And we have to set up another appt for Jackie once she's been on the Amoxi for a while to make sure that her bladder infection is under control.

Her stress level is so high all day, during the day that she dies at night. I'm serious. Around 7:00 or so, she simply drops and falls into an exhausted sleep, to the point where it's all we can do awaken her to go outside for the last time. That can't be good for her at all. At her age, we're worried that she may have a heart attack. It's simply ridiculous. And there's just no need for any of it.

I've been reading about dealing with beagles and their separation anxiety. It's a lot of work and it takes a saintly amount of patience for a long, long time. I don't have that patience and I can't take the time to deal with it anymore. Six cats, three of them geriatric pretty much takes up our time.

Enough.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I will send you lots of hugs and wishes for a safe transition to a shelter and a loving new home for Jackie....

I am so sorry you are going thru this....You have truly tried your best....

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One last suggestion, please don't take it the wrong way I don't have the energy or time to do it either,  but do you know anyone who is very active?  They do things like jog or bike ride on a very frequent basis.  I think strenuous exercise on a very regular basis would help a lot.  Ceasar Milan would train a dog to use a treadmill for those who weren't able to give a dog the amount of exercise they needed.

I found this youtube video of a Siberian Husky using a treadmill.  We had one years ago and they are another dog that needs a lot of exercise.

Last edited:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for you Pam.
My elderly mother took my sisters beagle, Buddy, after she moved. I think it's something with beagles, he was an obnoxious dog.
As he got older even though he was taken outside a lot, like Jackie, he would pee on the floor. And never mind the cats or anyone being able to eat he would snatch the food. My children were terrified to eat there as he would jump on them and steal their food. My mom catered to him so he wouldn't bark, it was easy as she rarely went anywhere.
I know how hard this must be. When Buddy got so old he could walk we had him put down and sad to say it was a relief even for my mom.
You are doing the best that you can do. A lot of people wouldn't try as hard as you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Pam. Just :hugs:

This is SUCH a difficult situation to be in. My instinct really is that Jackie needs a home where someone is in all the time. Some animals are just like that. You absolutely have to take account of the cats' needs too. Miss J is just one animal out of 7, and that HAS to impact decisions. Sure, the cats are coping now, but it is still stress.

Leah is a very noisy and conciencious guard dog. Asha handles it fine because there is someone here 99% of the time to diffuse things, but she still growls every time Leah kicks off. I'm not at all convinced she'd cope long term if things were different.

I hope the beagle rescue can help you. Sad as it is, I think you're doing the right thing :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Hang in there :vibes: