This is it! We have to diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by christine chand

What "lite" foods did you use? Dry or Canned. How much weight did your cat(s) need to lose> Not only does my cat need to lose 3-4 pounds but she's had pancreatitis. The vet is trying to feed the lowest percentage of fat we can find. All the "lite" Nutro, Iams, RC, Chicken Soup arel too high - the lowest I've found are Hills Lite, Hills WD, Wellness or Authority Lite. The packaging on these products actually give the fat in a minimum and maxium range. I had her on a combo of Hills Lite & Authority Lite for 2 months and her pancreas readings went down. When she was on a mix of Wellness & Chicken Soup Lite the readings were much higher.
You had not mentioned your cat had pancreatitis, another important factor to consider when choosing an appropriate food for her. The cats I wanted to slim down had varying amounts of weight to lose, one up to 3 lbs., and I am using a dry food - Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Weight Management food.

I'm sorry, but I still do not understand why you'd imply that a non-prescription, quality food will somehow not be providing essential nutrients. If you want to discuss using appropriate foods for handling a cat with pancreatitis, that is different than a normal cat who is just obese needing to diet.

As always, I never suggest anyone quit a prescription food prescribed by their vet without discussing with their vet, the reason they want to change and asking their vet to guide (or at least approve what they find via their own research) them to alternative choices.

christine chand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

You had not mentioned your cat had pancreatitis, another important factor to consider when choosing an appropriate food for her. The cats I wanted to slim down had varying amounts of weight to lose, one up to 3 lbs., and I am using a dry food - Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Weight Management food.

I'm sorry, but I still do not understand why you'd imply that a non-prescription, quality food will somehow not be providing essential nutrients. If you want to discuss using appropriate foods for handling a cat with pancreatitis, that is different than a normal cat who is just obese needing to diet.

As always, I never suggest anyone quit a prescription food prescribed by their vet without discussing with their vet, the reason they want to change and asking their vet to guide (or at least approve what they find via their own research) them to alternative choices.
Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part about the non-prescription food not providing essential nutrients. What I meant is that some of these foods with have what I call designer ingredients like blueberries, sweet potatoes etc which I feel are not necessary. but that a whole other story.

Mt vet is concerned with 2 things - excess wt that needs to be shed, if possible, and the pancreas. As I said in my previous message when my cat was on Chicken Soup & Wellness Lite the pancreas levels went up much higher. When I switched to SD Lite & Authority Lite the level came down significantly lower. At no time were the levels ever out of the normal range. On CS & Wellness they were are the high end of normal. On SD & Authority they were are the lower end. However, on SD/Authority she picked up more wt. The only lite canned I can find (besides prescription) is Authority which is 21% fat dry matter or Nutro pouch at 18% dry. She can take or leave either one.

So my vet suggested for the 2nd time Hills WD - same fat range as SD Lite/Authority but lower in carbs. My cat loves the dry - but not the canned.
I don't like the presevatives. Funny thing is my vet does not sell SD it has to be ordered. They stock IVD or Purina.

My cat has that "spay sway" that I don't think will ever go away.

What would you suggest - keep with WD & don't worry about the preservatives or go back to SD Lite/Authority and don't worry about more wt gain or try another prescription diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mittens has lost another pound!

He is lost a total of 4 pounds now, which he is at 20.5 pounds!

christine chand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

What brand of food are you feeding? I'm using Hills WD but might switch to Purina OM.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

way to go mittens

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by christine chand

What brand of food are you feeding? I'm using Hills WD but might switch to Purina OM.
I've been feeding him HiFactor since January 14th, the day I started this post and the day I took him to the vet (which was also my birthday...
)

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

would love to see some pics of the leaner mittens!
I'll try to post some in a couple of weeks when I have some more free time.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

Guess who one of my cats looks like?

LOL...Looks like a big white-nosed kitty convention.
Oh my, that little one is just so precious!
Thanks for sharing that pic!!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sweetie is looking so much better!
I've been noticing as well as one of my cat sitters thinks that he looks really good now. I wish pictures could do justice! I'll see what photos I can get of him this weekend. If we have atleast one shiny day, I can get him in the grass rolling around. Zack doesn't really pick him up since he doesn't like to be held, but last night he finally picked him for the first time in a very long time...and I think he even said he was a little lighter...but he is still fat!
20 pounds is better than 25! We just hit our 6 month mark on July 14th. I hope by the end of 2006 we can be at 15 pounds.
I would also like to report his hyper activity. He's been jumping off the dining room table at such a speed now...I can't help but laugh! The little squirt is so funny. Now all he'll need is some plastic surgery...just kidding...his old fat is hanging off now. Mmmmmm...now I want to go home and go to sleep with him purring next to me

maratwc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here are some before pictures...
I'm new here. When I click that link to see, I get this message..

MaratWC, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

What did I do? Am I in trouble?

hobbester

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Candie! Mittens is such a trooper!
And you are a wonderful meowmy for supporting him all the way. Go Mits go!!! You so gotta post a before and after pic.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MaratWC

I'm new here. When I click that link to see, I get this message..

MaratWC, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

What did I do? Am I in trouble?
No, I don't think you're in trouble that is really weird. Do you have trouble seeing the pictures?

maratwc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

No, I don't think you're in trouble that is really weird. Do you have trouble seeing the pictures?
I can see other pics, the ones which pop up automatically, instead of having a link to view. I guess that is it, but I don't know how to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.