This is it! We have to diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am happy to announce that Mittens has lost another pound!

<~Mittens exercising...LOL!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go Mittens...does the little darling feel proud this morning? I swear they know when they've done something "good" and get this look about them, like "yah..I'm THE cat!"

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susan--hehehe, Thanks! I am so happy!

P&A--Yes! He is so proud! He's sleeping in daddy's papasan chair right now watching the Noon news!

Amy!--You should see him, I bet you'll be able to tell unlike everyone else!!

Sharky--Thanks!

jellilorum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have a fat cat. Her name is Mimi. She is a beautiful and loving 16 year old calico.

I inherited her around four years ago when my great grandmother passed away. When I first brought Mimi home she tipped the scales at a little over 25 pounds! She looked like such a butter ball. For years she had been fed a very low quality cat food. Her bowl was always filled to the brim. Imagine if a human only ate super sized Big Mac value meals every time they ate for the entire span of their life ... that's pretty much what Mimi's diet was like before she came to me.

(I believe Mimi was also very depressed when I first got her. My great grandmother had been in the hospital for weeks before she died. Before she was hospitalized my grandmother and her sister had already seperated Mimi from my great grandmother. Mimi, who strives on contact and affection from people, was shut out on a screen porch all alone for months. She only saw people when they dropped by to fill her food bowl once a day. She had stopped using the litter box or cleaning her self. She reeked of urine and was covered in dandruff. I took her home and cleaned her up ... a few weeks later I had the most devoted cat ever!)

Mimi was so fat that it was hard for her to breath. She was also declawed, front and back paws! I could never get a straight answer from anyone about why this was done to her, but there was nothing I could do to fix this problem (this was upsetting to me because I personally would not even do a front declaw to any of my cats ... sigh). The complete declaw along with her obesity really did a number on her bones. When she walked you could hear a popping sound in her joints. It was very diffucult to get her to excercise at first. I would put bits of food on the floor and make her walk a bit to get the next piece. We would make it halfway down the hallway and she would be breathing heavily. She seemed to love batting at strings, but even this would eventually leave her winded.

Mimi is now at about 15 pounds. The first few pounds came off pretty quickly, but then it slowed down. It has taken years and numerous diets (some of them consisting of rather expensive persciption food) to get her to a more healthy weight. She still looks like a butter ball at 15 pounds ... sigh.

Mimi's food is measured in the morning and she is fed through out the day, never more than the measured amount. This has been the routine for nearly five years now, but she still complains. Everytime I drop her food in her bowl, she looks up at me and yells. I think she is saying, "Are you kidding me?! This is it?! This is all you're going to feed me?!"

I am writing to let you know that it is possible for a cat to loose the amount of weight you want your kitty to lose, but that it might take quite a long time! Be patient and consistant and you will be rewarded with a much healthier kitty! Good luck!

Here's a link to the cat rescue shelter I work with if anyone is interested:
http://www.forpawssake.org/

3cathouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mimi, what various diets have seemed to work for you? Abbey has gone down from 23 lbs to 16 on SD r/d, but I am trying to migrate her to equally strict portions, but of another food (we are testing out Innova lite now). Any suggestions?

jellilorum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's some of the various foods I have put Mimi on:

Science Diet Feline r/d
Purina OM
Science Diet Light

She is currently eating Purina Pro Plan Weight Management formula (a little less than one cup a day).

At various times I have had to switch her to formulas designed for urinary tract problems.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement. I realize it will take awhile. 3 pounds so far has made a huge impact on his energy level

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummmm, what is cystitis? Gosh Caprice, your cat looks like mine and now I'm worried because all of a sudden he put on more weight than usual but he hardly eats and he's outside most of the day and night....

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jellybelly

Ummmm, what is cystitis? Gosh Caprice, your cat looks like mine and now I'm worried because all of a sudden he put on more weight than usual but he hardly eats and he's outside most of the day and night....
Kim, I sent you a PM. Cystitis is a bad bladder infection...UTI.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow...I didn't realize that its been over a month! We'll have another weigh-in in the morning...

Mittens has been really well and very active, and even louder begging for more food all the time

christine chand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatHouse

Mimi, what various diets have seemed to work for you? Abbey has gone down from 23 lbs to 16 on SD r/d, but I am trying to migrate her to equally strict portions, but of another food (we are testing out Innova lite now). Any suggestions?
How long have you been feeding the RD? Suggest you stick with it until vet suggests a change. Vet would probably suggest moving to the WD (my cat just started this food). She needs to lose about 3 lbs. The other "lite" foods are not strict enough for the simple fact they are available to anyone to purchase. It's more important for the cat to lose weight than to switch from a prescription food to something else because we like the ingredients better. Cats needs certain nutrients not certain ingredients.
I went the "lite" food route - it doesn't work. Even though I'm not a Science Diet/Hills fan it's important for my cat to lose weight for her health.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by christine chand

It's more important for the cat to lose weight than to switch from a prescription food to something else because we like the ingredients better. Cats needs certain nutrients not certain ingredients.
I went the "lite" food route - it doesn't work.
Not sure I understand what you are saying...better quality ingredients aren't going to provide less of the essential nutrients imo. If you can get the nutrients needed without preservatives or products that are of lesser quality, why not do so?

My cats, fwiw, did lose weight on the quality lite food I put them on.

christine chand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Not sure I understand what you are saying...better quality ingredients aren't going to provide less of the essential nutrients imo. If you can get the nutrients needed without preservatives or products that are of lesser quality, why not do so?

My cats, fwiw, did lose weight on the quality lite food I put them on.
What "lite" foods did you use? Dry or Canned. How much weight did your cat(s) need to lose> Not only does my cat need to lose 3-4 pounds but she's had pancreatitis. The vet is trying to feed the lowest percentage of fat we can find. All the "lite" Nutro, Iams, RC, Chicken Soup arel too high - the lowest I've found are Hills Lite, Hills WD, Wellness or Authority Lite. The packaging on these products actually give the fat in a minimum and maxium range. I had her on a combo of Hills Lite & Authority Lite for 2 months and her pancreas readings went down. When she was on a mix of Wellness & Chicken Soup Lite the readings were much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.