The " Gonna Be Wed " Thread!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Allie, that is awesome! You guys really have been planning! I have a lot of catching up to do!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the bridal shop called last week and my dress is ready to be picked up along w/ all the under-garments and accesories. We've got deposits down on the resort (ceremony/reception), cake, DJ ad soon on the guitarist for the ceremony. My maid of honor is pregnant in HI and now I'm not sure she'll even make it here for the wedding so I've gotta find someone to fill her spot and it's really kind of dissapointing but thats a whole other story. Once I pick up my dress we can start matching jewelry and other things. We've got the color (peridot green) but it's not as bright as say the birth stine of that color. Then after the holiday's we're gonna send out save the date notices along w/ hotel information so people can start looking into accomodations. My biggest road block right now are wedding rings, what music to walk down the aisle to and what to do about vows.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

My biggest road block right now are wedding rings, what music to walk down the aisle to and what to do about vows.
Haha, same here. Being a musician, there are a lot of expectations that I'll have something cool. In a perfect world, I'd have a chamber choir sing Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus, but even if they're my friends, they'll still want to be paid, and the setting requires a string quartet and, I think, a keyboard instrument as well. So that's probably out of the question
It's not even a processional traditionally, but a eucharistic hymn. But it's one of the most gorgeous pieces of sacred music ever and we're actually having a secular ceremony, so no one needs to know

That's my other big dilemma....I'd play my musician-friends' weddings for free, but everyone I've talked to about how to go about rounding people up to play seems kind of snotty about the idea of volunteering. I mean, we can afford to pay them- that's not the issue- and I wouldn't approach them telling them they HAD to volunteer, but it just seems tacky to want compensation for playing for a friend who is also a musician. ESPECIALLY since they don't need to travel.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm surprised that people you have such a strong association with aren't more willing to participate. I'd love to be able to do that for a friend (I'm a vocalists as is my fiance) and call it my wedding gift to them. We're also having a seculat wedding since neither of us believe in organized religion but I'm not opposed to 'sacred' music. All I know is that I don't want the bridal march. It's funny actually. My dad was really looking forward to walking me down the asile to it (mostly because they weren't allowed to use it at their wedding) but fortunately he's happy to make me happy. Ya, I'm a daddy's girl. LOL

As for the rings my engagement ring is platimun and I'd like to do the same for him but just can't afford it. I'm looking at palladium which is a sister metal to platinum, just as bright but only about a 1/4 of the cost.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Girls!

I've really missed being on TCS... I've been so busy with school that I really haven't had time for anything else.

How is everyone's wedding planning coming?

I haven't done very much, since I've been busy, although we did get the bridesmaid dresses picked out (I love them and the girls do too!). I have my dress, and we have FH's clothes and the GMs shirts picked out. That's done they just have to be ordered.

Right now the biggest thing for me is finding a photographer... the pictures are really important to me. Unfortunately, I was looking at one guys site today and the "starting" package is $1,800.
That is really not going to work. So I need to negotiate or something I guess.

I'm also thinking about flowers... What do you girls think... Poppies or Asiatic lilies? I'm thinking I'll just order the flowers online. I'm not much into roses - so I'm looking for alternative flowers that are available in June. I also really like the flowers that look like softer mini roses... Lisianthus or Stephanotis? And Sweet Pea.....

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the dresses. If they are the color in the picture then I'd go with the poppies if they'll hold up. When in June are you getting married?

I'm getting married June 23rd. We're going w/ a green/silver color so I'm thinking of doing asiatic or calla lillies. We're going to look at silks after the holidays are over but if we do them live we'll prder online too.

So, I talked to my "maid of honor" yesterday who's pregnant in Hawaii. Well, she's grounded as of mid-May so she won't be here for the wedding.
So, my 2nd bridesmaid is being promoted and I'm asking a family friend to be matron of honor. I'm a little sad that I won't be able to have her here but I understand and I just hope she'll make it here before she can't fly so I can see her preggers at least.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm getting married the 23rd too!!

I'm not sure if we're going with exactly that color - the groomsmens shirts are more of a darker burgandy.

However... I saw the dress in person today and it is SO darned CUTE!!! It looks way better than online and my girls are going to be so beautiful in it!!!

Yeyeyeyeyeyey!! (Sorry, I also finished up all my school stuff for the semester... so I'm really happy.)

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! You ladies have been busy

I love those dresses. I've been thinking of a similar style for my 2 bridesmaids. As one of them is in Ireland and the other is in Australia, it's going to be interesting getting them fitted out!

We got our photographer a while back and I was SHOCKED at the price. In the end we got a package for £850 (about $1650) - photos are important to us (we have them all over our house), and we figured we can save somewhere else.

Haven't thought about flowers yet. Both poppies and lillies sound gorgeous though. It's great planning everything - I love it

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaleetha

Hi Girls!

I've really missed being on TCS... I've been so busy with school that I really haven't had time for anything else.

How is everyone's wedding planning coming?

I haven't done very much, since I've been busy, although we did get the bridesmaid dresses picked out (I love them and the girls do too!). I have my dress, and we have FH's clothes and the GMs shirts picked out. That's done they just have to be ordered.

Right now the biggest thing for me is finding a photographer... the pictures are really important to me. Unfortunately, I was looking at one guys site today and the "starting" package is $1,800.
That is really not going to work. So I need to negotiate or something I guess.

I'm also thinking about flowers... What do you girls think... Poppies or Asiatic lilies? I'm thinking I'll just order the flowers online. I'm not much into roses - so I'm looking for alternative flowers that are available in June. I also really like the flowers that look like softer mini roses... Lisianthus or Stephanotis? And Sweet Pea.....
Oooooooh! I LOVE the dresses!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alexa

Wow! You ladies have been busy

I love those dresses. I've been thinking of a similar style for my 2 bridesmaids. As one of them is in Ireland and the other is in Australia, it's going to be interesting getting them fitted out!

We got our photographer a while back and I was SHOCKED at the price. In the end we got a package for £850 (about $1650) - photos are important to us (we have them all over our house), and we figured we can save somewhere else.

Haven't thought about flowers yet. Both poppies and lillies sound gorgeous though. It's great planning everything - I love it
Our photographer is a friend of ours...and we're givin him $1000. He normally charges between $3500-5000 for weddings, which I'm told is basically "the" price around here. I'm also trying hard to find a DJ who's going to cost less than about $1200, which isn't working. Our reception is about $125 a plate (which is absolutely as cheap as you can hope to find around here- ANYWHERE), which is another favor from a friend, where it normally would cost somewhere between $200-250 a plate for the options we're getting, and that doesn't include the cake (which he's thrown in cuz he loves us), the extra appetizers (which he's thrown in), the fruit with dessert (another giftie) and the tax and service fees which he's waived/included in the $125.

Why can't I just live in Idaho?! This would be so much cheaper in Idaho!

I'm also having trouble with dresses. I hate all of the completely overdone beads and embellishments, but my family is making fun of me for being a boring bride. I like this sort of style: http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_g...3&prodgroup=10 although I've heard that David's is absolutely awful. I want it be A-line, preferrably silk-satin with that rouching thing ( I think that's what they call the gathering, right??) and conservatively embellished (if embellished at all!). Is that so much to ask?!

Otherwise, this is quite fun. I came up with a centerpiece idea, which will also act as favors, which doesn't involve flowers (flowers plus January in chicago...they don't mix, so I want to keep the flowers as minimal as possible...only our bouquets and stuff). Anyone want to hear it???

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I hate all of the completely overdone beads and embellishments, but my family is making fun of me for being a boring bride.
Me too and yes, my family will probably call me boring... but I LOVE that example dress you gave a link for. The dress I bought in the end was that kind of shape, pure silk, with very, very little detail on it

Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I came up with a centerpiece idea, which will also act as favors, which doesn't involve flowers. Anyone want to hear it???
Yes please!
Any ideas are very welcome!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm all about ideas!

I guess we got lucky w/ photography. My future BIL does this professionally and Matt's best man (also his business partner) is, as a wedding gift to us, going to create a web site for his studio which will in turn mean that he's going to shoot the wedding for free.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alexa

Yes please!
Any ideas are very welcome!
Ok, so it's going to be a lot of work, but here goes:

Ian and I instituted a "we have to know you personally" rule for wedding guests. No dates we don't, no grandma's friend from finishing school, unless they've been involved in our lives at some point. We have 140 on the guestlist and for a January in Chicago wedding we're shooting for 100-120 to show up. So, the wedding industry would consider this "small"

Anyway, with each invitation (which my mom, his mom and the maids and I are handmaking- not really to save money, but more to have what we want when we want it and because we LOVE DIY in my family) we're going to put a request. The request will ask each person to send a picture back with their RSVP, and to work, there will have to be one picture for each guest. The rules for this picture are as follows:
1. The picture has to have the bride and/or groom OR the bride and/or groom with the guest in question. It can be from any point in our lives, at any occassion. The more hilarious or sentimental, the better it will be.
2. Kids under 12 can draw their own renditions. UNDER 12.
3. If you happened to be, say, at my 8th birthday and there are pictures of us together or a picture that sticks out in your brain, but it's with another friend/family member, you can borrow it, but you had to be there.
4. If you still can't find a picture, start tracking us down so you can take one.

Then, I'm going to IKEA and buying a bunch of the plain, untreated wood frames. They always have giant buckets of them and a 3 pack is 1.99. I'm going to buy also acrylic paint and a custom stamp with the date on it or something, and then I'm going to paint the frames and stamp the date.

THEN, the pictures will go in a circle in the center of the table, corresponding with each person's place-setting. In the middle of the pictures, since it'll look strange with just the pictures, I'm going to do some fancy candle-sticks. But this way, I avoid buying flowers shipped in from Argentina and have a centerpiece, a favor (they'd all take their framse home with them) and a conversation piece in one!

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok We have less then 6 months to go!!! I am so excited!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's a really cool idea. Very personal too. Nothing I have the ambition to do myself but still a great idea.

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love that idea
It's a lot of work though. Do you think all your guests will play along? It will certainly be a conversation piece

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like the picture frame idea... that's very creative!

I'm working on my save the dates right now... yey!

We're having our wedding in Washington (even though we live in Montana) so the price thing is kinda hard for me too. Although I don't know if it would be cheaper, cause we're looking about about 60 people for our Washington wedding, and it would have been like 120 people here -- even with the cheaper prices it probably would have come out about the same.

I found the coolest bowls at Ross that I'm going to use for my centerpieces. Three of them are created out of these big leaves that come out of the bottom and then curl up and two of them are these amorphous square kind of shape. They are such pretty colors! They are shiny but its not the obnoxious kind of shiny, this is like a deep glaze. I also picked up three really fun plates from Target that will serve as the rest of the centerpieces. I want to float gardenias in the bowls and I think something with bamboo on the plates. They'll all be different - but I'm hoping that will be part of the charm.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I was listening to some Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds last night to see what the guitar sounded like in different songs. I'm trying to find something to walk down the aisle to. Anyway, at the end of one song he broke out into "Can't Help Falling in Love" Ya know, UB40 did it... "wise men say only fools rush in, but I can't help falling in love with you" and I thought this may be the song. Lyrically it's perfect but it'll be all acoustic for the wedding. I wonder what it'd sound like as just a single guitar playing. Hmmm

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had two weddings in my family. Both of my children are married.

When DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e got married, she wanted her bridesmaids in a certain color. So she found the material and bought it and then each girl had her own dress made. That way each girl looked pretty in her own style. She also had a friend who had a huge stereo system, we downloaded our own music, and he was the deejay. That was his gift to her.

DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e also wanted her reception to have cajun food, so I did all the cooking.

I can tell you though, it was much less stressful to be the mother of the groom. There was no stress on my side when Shawn got married.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to say that my sister is a professional photographer, so we saved a ton of money on wedding pictures. She flew in from Texas and took pictures of my of my childrens weddings. That was her gift to them.