The " Gonna Be Wed " Thread!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J proposed to me on Sunday (yesterday), our five-year anniversary. He was going to wait until we went out to dinner at a fancy restaurant, but he got too excited and proposed first thing in the morning.

Right now I have a "placeholder" ring; it's very lovely, a large garnet with three small diamonds (possibly cubic zirconias) on either side, set in white-gold. The "real" ring is still in the process of being made because he's having it custom-designed through a man his family knows (this man did his sister's engagement ring and his aunt's 25th wedding anniversy ring -- both were bee-yoo-tee-full!). Unfortunately, the man had a heart attack a couple of months ago and has been laid up until fairly recently, and now that he's back to work (as of last week), he has a bit of a back-log. J wanted to propose on our 5th anniversary, so he couldn't wait for the ring and didn't want to just pick something from the jewelry store because he really liked the idea of a custom ring. I'm okay with that ... heck, I would've been okay waiting for the real ring, but his big concern was that when you tell people you're engaged, the first thing they ask is to see the ring and I'd have nothing to show them. Hence, the "placeholder" ring, which will go on my other hand once I have the "real" ring.

We haven't set a date yet. J's sister is getting married in July, so I don't want to steal her thunder and, really, I think one wedding a year is enough for his family to have to worry about!
What I want -- and there's still some people to be convinced on this, but I think I might just put my foot down and say "I'm the bride! It's my wedding and we'll do it my way!" (hmmmph! so there!) -- is to fly off to some warm country like Cuba or Bermuda and get married on the beach. I want to wear a bikini and a sarong (I started Weight Watchers, so I'm already working on the "bikini" part of the plan
) and I don't want a big church wedding, especially since I'm not religious in the slightest (neither of us are). The other thing is, I have some relatives I strongly, intensely dislike, but who I would have to invite to a wedding here in Canada; if I have the wedding in another country, they couldn't afford to go. We could have a big reception when I got back, but for my special day, I don't want to have to listen to my misogynistic, twice-divorced uncle go off on how weddings are a sham, or listen to my other uncle beg my grandmother for money she doesn't have. Does that make me a
?

Anyway ... Yay!
I'm engaged!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe this thread will live again! I just recently got engaged and the planning has already begun... as has the stress. We're getting married June 23, 2007 (if theres no more drama this week) at a resort on Mackinak Island, MI.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cogratulations to the newly-engaged!!! My only advice is to find a few people you trust implicitly and have them take care of the details. I wish I had a better support system before the day was closing in, but it eventually worked out.

Right now I'm posting from a hotel in Ireland!!!!
I'll post wedding pictures as soon as I find any, lol. It's great to be married!!!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ireland... I'm offically jelouse. I'm fortunate enough to have my parents to help us plan. It's also a huge plus that my mom worked ina bridal shop for years when she was younger. The day of I know I'll be surounded by lots of women willing to help. Some of my parent's friends never had kids so they live vicariousely through me.
It'ss be nice to not have to worry about much when it comes down to the wire.

Well, I talked to the property manager at the hotel yesterday and hopefully we'll have our time and day reserved by the end of the week. I also heard back from the bakery w/ an estimate on a wedding cake. She's also sending a brochure w/ designs and prices in it for me to go over. Now I just need to get ball park figures for a DJ (reception) and an acoustic musician (ceremony) and an estimate on invitations and then I think we'll have a pretty good budget.

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to look at wedding rings this week
... only because we were on holiday in Wales for a few days and I wanted to visit the same shop where bf bought the engagement ring. Didn't buy anything but it was nice to look and try on

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by alexa

I went to look at wedding rings this week
... only because we were on holiday in Wales for a few days and I wanted to visit the same shop where bf bought the engagement ring. Didn't buy anything but it was nice to look and try on
How exciting!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're going to my parents tonight to sign the contract for the ceremony/reception site. I'm already going crazy though because my mom says money is an issue but my dad says that we're doing it the way we've already planned. Arghhh!

We've got an appointment at the dress shop for Nov. 10th. I'm really excited about that and so is my niece (flower girl). I'll have to take pics... she's such a ham. I suspect in the next few weeks we'll go back to the jewelr where he bought the platimun band they turned into my engagement ring and price out 2 more wedding bands for us which I'm determined to buy since I know he spent alot of time and money on my ring. I'm just trying to decide what to have engraved into his.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

I got my wedding jewelry!!! I am so excited. I have a few months but I just could not pass up this price. Here's what I got: http://www.zales.com/product/index.j...Id=17909983731

We have everything planned for the reception now we have to plan for the cermony... I am so excited!!!!
The link didn't work?!

emrld, thats a really cute pic

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a date! We think!

Right now, November 3, 2007 is on hold for us at our first choice site. We have to go out and see it (again) and then sign the contract and put down the deposit!

http://www.cheneymansion.com/

I also just talked my photographer down to $700 from $2500. Boy, am I good.

here are also legions of ceremony musicians willing to play for free...I knew this music major thing would come in handy somewhere! The new plan is to tell them we need a prelude, a processional, etc, and they can play whatever they want in whatever ensemble they want and they'll do it for reception food

I also get to do something very sneaky to get my dress....My dad is very close with the owner of Filene's...so on Running of the Brides day, in which everything gets marked down to $249 (that's right...designer dresses for $249) and brides line up at 5:30 AM to beat and trample each other....I GET TO GO IN AN HOUR EARLY!! Yaaayyyy!!!

Another one of my dad's patients owns the record label that R Kelly started on...he also does a lot of my recordings. He started as a DJ, so I think I'm going to hire him, as long as his rates are reasonable

Did you guys know that Costco does flowers? They have complete packages for like...$879. You guys schould check it out. That's the route we're taking.

My colors are black and red wine and ivory, my flowers will be calla lilies.

Um...what else have we already done...

We got an all-inclusive...including airfare...package to Mexico for a week for $1,000 a prson from another patient.

And my dad is casting our rings, which is really special for me. He's going to do it for free...and we're getting our wax molds for like $3 each. I'm not entirely sure how much some scrap shite gold will cost, though.

Ok that's it! Now, I need to go to orchestra!

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Man, you guys are too good. I feel like I haven't done anything for weeks except send out save the date cards/fridge magnets! (they are pretty cool though!)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... sounds like you have some very good ins! Lucky for you. Be prepared for big numbers when you contact the DJ. I haven't found one for under a grand. And acoutsic music is more than what a DJ would charge to do the ceremony so we'll probably have them do that too. I think it's feel uber cool if I got to do that dress thing too. Thats really lucky. I want to do calla lilly's too but I'm torn between spending the money on real ones (w/ a small wedding it's only be around $400) or buying silks and doing them myself. We also really need to put together a final guest list and get out our save the date notices w/ hotel info. Beyond that we've got all our contracts we just need to get them signed and in w/ the deposits and we're going to look at dresses next Friday... I'm really excited about that.

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got a band for our wedding
- there's going be some serious dancing! They've got kind of a rat-pack, big band sound, although they play all sorts of music - totally cool and I think it will please the more mature generations too
It wasn't cheap but we figured "how many times in your life are you going to order a band?" and we'll just have to juggle somewhere else in the budget.

That's all we've done for the wedding lately, apart from the website that we set up http://www.alexandrich.com

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I'm going to be wed as well, we really need to reserrect this thread like Allie said! Let's all keep discussing our ideas!

All I know is the color I want
Tiffany blue

We don't have a date yet but it'll be in 2 years or so

How is everyone's planning coming along?

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I can be a part of this thread too, now! I got engaged back at the begininng of November, but never had time to come join the thread! Not much planning done yet, we're working on a date. Probably a year and a half to two years from now, depending on which time of year we decide (spring or fall).

Can't wait to start the real planning!!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

I guess I can be a part of this thread too, now! I got engaged back at the begininng of November, but never had time to come join the thread! Not much planning done yet, we're working on a date. Probably a year and a half to two years from now, depending on which time of year we decide (spring or fall).

Can't wait to start the real planning!!
I can't wait until the planning either! I think we are going to lean for a summer wedding just because his sister and my sister are teachers and we won't have to worry about them taking off work to help plan and his brother is a football coach and it won't be football season

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh ooh! I just started planning!

Our colors are black, white and periwinkle.

We're getting married on January 12, 2008 at the Fairmont Hotel in CHicago (It's the Plaza in NYC, but the Chicago version. Owned and run by the same people...well, at least the Plaza before it became condos or whatever it is now). http://www.fairmont.com/chicago

With that, we're going to be in the Crystal Ballroom, and we'll have an entire floor of the hotel to ourselves. The lobby is where the open bar will be, and where the receiving line and cocktail hour will be (We're doing the ceremony there too....we're not god/church people). We also have a private photo room for the attendants and us and a separate room for our vendors to take breaks.

Included, we also get a suite on our wedding night, our wedding cake, which the pastry chef will design with each different layer being a different flavor, and 2 dressing rooms for the WHOLE day, and our parents get free rooms, too. We also reserved a block of rooms for our guests which they cn reserve at a discounted rate. We also get a free website, coffee and tea service with dinner, passed hors d'ouvres during the cocktail hour and fresh fruit with dessert.

All because we just happen to have been friends with the head chef and the head of catering for like several years. I like to call it my TJ Maxx wedding...a designer wedding at a 5 star hotel at a "fell off the back of the truck" price