The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So depressed with the weather we've been having. More dedicated exercisers probably can deal with it, but this endless combo of humidity and/or rain is making it impossible for me to motivate myself to walk or garden or barely even move. :sigh:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So depressed with the weather we've been having
I know how you feel! It's crazy humid here too. I got up early yesterday, intending to walk, but there was a hairball and a missed litter box situation to deal with. By the time I'd cleaned that up I only had enough time left for 45 minutes of yoga before work.

Got up again this morning and walked for an hour. Off to do some yoga now.

🧘‍♀️

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stroller strides again, but since J's at camp today, I only had M and the single stroller, which was nice!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First walk in a few days: 29 minutes, Total distance: 2.68 km (1.67 mi)

Rain tomorrow and Sunday, so might get a walk in, but likely not again till Monday. :sigh:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First walk in a few days: 29 minutes, Total distance: 2.68 km (1.67 mi)

Rain tomorrow and Sunday, so might get a walk in, but likely not again till Monday. :sigh:
I really appreciate you translating your mileage for us metric impaired sort!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really appreciate you translating your mileage for us metric impaired sort!
Happy to oblige. However, must give the credit to Google maps, as it shows both.

Interestingly, when I look at the distance walked, the KM number makes the most sense to me. However, when I check my speed, the MPH is the number I look at. Probably because my treadmill used to show miles not kms.

I should start including my MPH, so I can see if I'm getting faster or not.
Per https://www.calculator.net/pace-calculator.html, today's was

3.45 miles/hour
5.54 kilometers/hour

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy to oblige. However, must give the credit to Google maps, as it shows both.

Interestingly, when I look at the distance walked, the KM number makes the most sense to me. However, when I check my speed, the MPH is the number I look at. Probably because my treadmill used to show miles not kms.

I should start including my MPH, so I can see if I'm getting faster or not.
Per https://www.calculator.net/pace-calculator.html, today's was

3.45 miles/hour
5.54 kilometers/hour
I've been using the mapmyrun app, which tells me how many minutes per mile, so in my best is about 15:30 minutes per mile, but my run walks mostly average closer to 17. But it helps me see if I'm getting faster.

I haven't done any running this week. It hasn't worked with my schedule, but I figure giving my knee more time to heal isn't a bad thing. Starting next week, I think I'm going to stick with my 1.5 or 2 mile loops and work on jogging for more of the time/improving my speed.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I did 90 minutes yoga and then 90 minutes horse riding on Friday. I haven't been riding for months! It was so nice to be back in the saddle. I rode Midori, who is a very good girl. We had a slight disagreement about whether it was safe to canter around a blind corner or not, but apart from that we got along fine.

Saturday and Sunday I did two 30 minute yoga routines each day. I was kind of busy with work, so shorter routines were all I had time for.

Failed to get up early enough for a before-work-walk today, but there is always tomorrow!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yesterday: 27 minutes, Total distance: 2.45 km (1.53 mi). 3.38 miles/hour
Today: 32 minutes. Total distance: 3.02 km (1.88 mi) 3.52 miles/hour

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good going rubysmama rubysmama What time of day do you do your walks?

I got up early two days in a row and walked for an hour. Yesterday I did an hour of yoga too. Today I did about 4 hours of yard work. The enclosure fence is finally done! Just got to do a little bit of clearing up tomorrow and then I can think about buying some new trees and shrubs this autumn.

:hyper:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's good going rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama What time of day do you do your walks?
I try to leave the house no later than 7:45 AM or it's just too hot. Of course as each day the sun is coming up later, soon it won't be shining on me when I head out. But today, even that early, it was pretty warm at 22C / 72F. Well by Canadian standards, at least. ;)

Yesterday - no walk, had a morning appointment
Today - 31 minutes, Total distance: 2.89 km (1.79 mi) 3.48 miles/hour

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stroller strides was virtual yesterday, but was a decent workout. I need to start running again, but with temps in the 90s, I have no motivation.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
But today, even that early, it was pretty warm at 22C / 72F.
It's 30C here by 9 am. It's ridiculous, I've never known such a hot summer in these parts. It's very dry too, the monsoon season is over but we got hardly any rain this year and I'm worried about our trees. We get thunder storms every afternoon, but no rain.

I wish it would rain.

Just 30 minutes yoga yesterday. 90 minutes yoga today and then a couple of hours of cleaning out my shed. Finally threw out all those paint cans with just a tiny bit of dried up paint in the bottom.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's 30C here by 9 am. It's ridiculous, I've never known such a hot summer in these parts. It's very dry too, the monsoon season is over but we got hardly any rain this year and I'm worried about our trees. We get thunder storms every afternoon, but no rain.

I wish it would rain.
It's been getting in the high 20C's here, but not till noon / mid-afternoon. So not as hot as there. And after having months of drought, we've gotten too much rain. So be careful what you wish for. Hard to get a happy mix of weather these days.

Still walking early mornings. Four out of 5 days so far this week.

Yesterday - Not sure how long, as my phone said 29 seconds when I got back. :crazy: Total distance: 2.90 km (1.80 mi)
Today - 33 minutes - Total distance: 3.08 km (1.92 mi)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Still walking early mornings. Four out of 5 days so far this week.
That's good going. I got up early yesterday and today, but that's because I had early morning classes. The kids I usually teach weekend afternoons are doing sports camp, so wanted to switch their lesson times.

45 minutes yoga yesterday, 90 minutes today and lots of outdoor work. Got both of my sheds sorted out and built a bird feeding table from scrap wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.