The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think there should be more gyms with cats. There a great inspiration, so flexible and athletic, and they can give you that extra bit of weight to lift just when you need it.
Not Leroy. He'd just get in the way and underfoot and someone is going to trip over him
It's bad enough trying to make dinner or put dishes away

Anyways, I made it to the fitness center today
Did the usual treadmill. I upped the speed to 3mph which was ok for awhile but then my legs started to feel like jello so I had to decrease the speed.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I need to get back on the treadmill....haven't been since Wednesday. Rick left Thursday morning and I don't like to go in the basement early morning when it's still dark outside, not when I'm alone in the house. I kept telling myself that I would go down after coming home from work and feeding the cats, but it never happened. After it gets more light outside, I'll go down for about 3 miles or so.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did test running today, my heart rate monitor did not allow me to run more than 100 meters at time, heart rate was over 155 and HRM made noise that I need to slow down, I was running as slow as I could, so had to walk more than half of the distance.

It was just around the house, maybe 600 meters.

I did chop some firewood and did build additional edges to cart I use to move firewood, so I can move more at once.

Whatever I did it seemed that my heart rate was 20 less than usual, that started two days ago, so I replaced HRM belt battery, but no effect. I wanted then to see if it really is so that heart rate is so slow, hence running, it seems to increase just fine, but likes to be lower all of sudden and comes down really fast compared to what it used to be before this odd thing started.

It did happen after day when I did do quite hard exercise for 5 hours and 38 minutes.

Today I did 3 hours of firewood moving and chopping, 20 minutes of running/walking/weight lifting/pushups.

This week I have done 18 hours of exercising which has burned 9920kcal according to HRM.

Yesterday I did much of anything, just pushups, I'm considering of doing 15 pushups in next week, 3 sets, still girlie versions, I do sometimes proper ones too, but it is about 4 to 6 that I can manage, too much weight.

My weight lifting bar is actually made of wood and it has two old car tires with a wheels on it, I do as many lifts to chest/chin that I can, which is not that many.

I tried to do also chin up today, hopeless, first 50% is easy, then there is a stop.

One issue with now all of sudden lower heart rates is that HRM calorie calculations show a lot lower numbers from same amount of work, for over 3 hours typical would be around 1500kcal, now it shows less than 1000kcal and I'm not sure if I should adjust my eating to 1500kcal or 1000kcal.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I didn't make it to the treadmill. My Ipod needed re-charged and I can't walk on the treadmill without music.

BUT....I made my step goal because I push-mowed both side yards and the rear yard right behind the house....almost 6 miles of mowing.That counts. It's a walk.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a rest day on Saturday and did my legs and chest today. This week I'm doing high reps and lighter weights.

Keep going everybody :sheep::kitty2:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 hours and 40 minutes of firewood moving, it was really warm day too around +23C.

I got tired of throwing wood one by one, so I put 60l bucket full of firewood, then I did carry it up to steep stairs (kind of ladders) and turned bucket over to firewood storage space, it is easier to fill it from above at this point as it is rather full.

Bucket was around 25-30kg when full, so it got heart rate up quite well. Heart rate did go to around 146 when I climbed up and tossed the bucket, then to around 100 when I finished filling the bucket, 5 repeats for each cart and cart of course had to be filled 4 times in total.

Small firewood warms up many times, first when you collect it, then when you cut it, after that when you split and again when you move it to drying place, but also when you move it to storage when it is dry.
Finally it warms when it is burned.

Considering all mechanical work I do produce 80% of heat and 20% of motion, I doubt that firewood provides more heat when burned than what I produce when preparing firewood. If I just could get that heat stored for winter.

So today when moving firewood, I produced 720W of heat.

Also caught one DUI in progress, officers were happy that he did not get away even he did run to swamp, poor guy, running barefoot to swamp is not so nice at this time of year, there is lot of living things, snakes, insects that bite and who knows what kind of bacteria. Maybe he learns his lesson.

Oh yes, this should be resting day...

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
20 minutes of moving rocks, cart's tire failed with earth shattering kaboom, but I still did pull it up from the lower end of lawn to upper yard where is bit of gravel too. Didn't even take a full cargo, maybe it was just old tire :lol3:

I did try to lift one side of cart, but could not, then I tried to roll it on top of old scale as I wanted to know how much weight there is, but scale folded like a book, so I guess it had to be tad more than scale's capacity, there was over 100kg before scale did got crushed as I pushed cart more forward on top of the scale.

I think that I would need stronger cart, it could have also bit more cargo space...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Not Leroy. He'd just get in the way and underfoot and someone is going to trip over him
It's bad enough trying to make dinner or put dishes away
Well, I'm sure he's just trying to help improve your reflexes and core muscles. Balance is all about strength, right?

@JTbo. That looks like a lot of rocks to move in one go. I love your rustic cart too.

I walked for 90 minutes on Saturday, but had to work all day yesterday so didn't do anything active except push the vacuum cleaner around.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a Cardio Cruiser, Body by Jake, for $25 bucks at the thrift store thinking we might start using it. I finally watched the video today. I really doesn't explain very well how to start using this thing. Most of the video was a 30 minute workout by experts.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this machine and how to use it.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a Cardio Cruiser, Body by Jake, for $25 bucks at the thrift store thinking we might start using it. I finally watched the video today. I really doesn't explain very well how to start using this thing. Most of the video was a 30 minute workout by experts.

No idea sorry.

I did my squats again today and bicep curls. 130 reps in total.

Keep going everybody. :clap:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There is multi language manual for Cardio Cruiser:
http://www.enraf-nonius.nl/documentation.html

There is also some leaflets/books, maybe useful:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is multi language manual for Cardio Cruiser:
http://www.enraf-nonius.nl/documentation.html

There is also some leaflets/books, maybe useful:
jtbo jtbo I have the manuals and a DVD that came with the machine. It just is not very helpful. It doesn't give much information how to start. The DVD is all about a major workout once you get experienced on the machine. One thing it talks about is Target Heart Rate and working within that range, but I didn't understand any of it.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jtbo jtbo I have the manuals and a DVD that came with the machine. It just is not very helpful. It doesn't give much information how to start. The DVD is all about a major workout once you get experienced on the machine. One thing it talks about is Target Heart Rate and working within that range, but I didn't understand any of it.
Ok, then this will perhaps help, it explains target heart rate quite nicely:
http://wserver.flc.losrios.edu/~willson/fitns304/handouts/heartRates.html

Bit before half of length in this document there are also some graphs that might help to get the big picture of all those different methods:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

I would recommend to start with zone 1 first just to get used to it.

Different formulas for target heart rate zone 1 give me 89-107 to 109-123, Karvonen formula giving highest range.

Basically you just adjust how hard workout is so that heart rate does not go too high, or too low.

More than 10 minutes, but not much more than perhaps 30 minutes at beginning, if you are beginner, then harder and longer when your body can take it. Doing too much and too hard might get muscles quite sore and it quickly kills the fun.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
An hour of yoga and 30 minutes on my bike yesterday.

Just 30 minutes on my bike today. I was planning to do more, but then I had the strange idea that I wanted to make some scented candles and got totally side tracked.

mañana.......

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my chest and triceps today. High reps little rest. I'm really enjoying it. I am very tired at night so just going to bed early. I even missed the end of my fave tv show last night.

Keep going everybody :clap:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I started to feel pain on lower back, then I crushed stones with sledgehammer for about an hour, chopped some wood, but still lower back was painful and it is painful even today, so it is day off for me again.

It is always same spot and it is not on spin but kind of side, happens 1 or 2 times a year and sometimes it does make me unable to get out from bed because of pain.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A rest sounds like a good idea JTbo.

I did my squats again today and seated shoulder press. These are with lighter weights and high reps. That's 390 squats for the week :woohoo:

Those squats nearly break me but I can see my legs and bootie changing. They are the best exercise ever. I love them :clap:

Keep going everybody :clap: you are all amazing :clap:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I walked for 90 minutes on Wednesday and then did an hour of yoga this morning. It's really starting to feel like autumn here now. I think I'm going to miss being able to do yoga on my deck, but I'm looking forward to some crisp, winter walks.

@Tammat  I think I need to do some squats too. Can you explain how you do them? Just a regular squat?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I walked for 90 minutes on Wednesday and then did an hour of yoga this morning. It's really starting to feel like autumn here now. I think I'm going to miss being able to do yoga on my deck, but I'm looking forward to some crisp, winter walks.

@Tammat
 I think I need to do some squats too. Can you explain how you do them? Just a regular squat?
Hi :wavey: I do a low squat- below parallel then come up to 95% never straighten legs at the top and never stop at the bottom. Do them nice and slow. This keeps the tension on the muscle the whole time. If you straighten out at the top it gives your muscle a rest. Try doing it for 1 min and you should feel it :D there are plenty of diagrams on the Internet to show you the correct technique so that you don't hurt yourself but I am presuming you know how to do a regular squat. It's keeping the tension on the muscle that make them extremely effective.

Rohan was away yesterday so he had a girl fill in for him. I trained with her. This was a very brave move for little old introvert me ;). It was all fine! Of course! I did spend a couple of nights laying awake worrying about it though. Oh Tamela :doh2:
I did my back, biceps and triceps. That my friends is a 10 week program done and dusted for me :woo: I now have a whole week off!!!!! That's right a whole week. I'm allowed to do some fat burning cardio but no weights.

Whilst I sit on the couch you must all exercise!! :lol3:
Keep going :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you @Tammat  I had a look at some weight lifters doing squats on Youtube. Do you do your squats with weights? I think that hard part for me would be not falling flat on my butt.

I did a two hour, 6 kilometer walk with my friend V yesterday. I think this might be the last of our long walks for a while. V is due to have her baby next Friday. Have to find someone else to explore the forest with.

90 minutes walk today.

Status
Not open for further replies.