The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my legs and biceps today. Then I went to aldi and bought a 25 kg punching bag. Next time I buy a 25 kg punch bag I will do it before I exercise my biceps ;)

Keep going everybody. You are great !!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't even want to THINK about winter! Not yet. Not ready. No. No. No.

Tammat, you're funny. 

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 hour and 30 minutes of bicycling, that was 25.3km with 16.9km/h average speed.

Heart rate was 118 as average and I don't know maximum, probably not much more than 150, HRM had a fluke and show way too high reading for maximum, 994kcal burned.

I did yesterday same route with 143 average heart rate, first 10 minutes I took slow with heart rate of no more than 110, so that last 1 hour and 7 minutes was quite bit more than 143.
Yesterday's average speed was 19.8km/h so if I go relatively slow or very fast, there is not huge difference in average speed it seems.

I got even same top speed now, also had less air in tires, legs felt tired and had no interest in pushing hard, confusing :D

Decided not to do much more today as tomorrow I have several hour hard work ahead of me, so I'm trying to reload glycogen levels so I don't run out of steam there. Will be interesting to see what kind of workout that wood chopping project will be. It is again to help one elderly lady.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done people :clap:

I did my chest and shoulders this morning. I had a small rest. Did some sweeping outside and then I vaccumed my gym in the shed. It is sunny today and we have a new bird that has moved into the neighbourhood and he/ she sings the most beautiful song. With everything clean and tidy I then did my triceps.
All done for the day.

Keep going everybody :clap: we can do this. You guys need to make the most of your warm weather before big bad australia takes it :lol3:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was +2C as I woke up, warming up already but still just +5C and I should go to freeze in there, brrrr.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. 

My earbuds bit the dust. I have a really nice pair of Skull Candy buds; they've been washed and dried (in the washer and dryer) now twice that I recall. And I guess it finally caught up to them. I had to toss them this morning and take out a pair of Apple earbuds that came with one of the iPods. The cord isn't real long and I had some trouble threading it under my t-shirt to put the iPod into my pocket of my shorts. 

Off to the store for a new pair of Skull Candy buds this weekend. My old pair was red....maybe I'll see if they have them in purple! 
 To match my iPod, of course.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I overdid things on Monday, 90 minutes yoga and the 2 hours walking. My legs were so tired the next day that all I could manage was 30 minutes on my bike.

I walked for an hour today. I'll do more tomorrow.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5 hours and 38 minutes of lifting more than 10kg (22 pounds) wood blocks and logs. Most heavy was somewhere around 70kg (154 pounds), there was a lot more between those weight than at those weight though.

Average heart rate was 120 and maximum was 149.

Also I swung quite a bit of 3kg (6.6 pound) axe that has quite long handle. Diameter of largest rounds was so big that it was not possible to put my arms around them, even nearly, but I did split them as they were way too big to firewood machine that was attached to tractor.

Used about 5300 calories today, ate two pizzas and drank 2 liters of orange juice and I barely am at my calorie window where I should be, only about 300 calories marginal so I could eat more, but I try to loose weight so I got 36% deficit for this day.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I figured out how to calculate average amount of work as Watts for each exercise I have done.

kcal x 1000 x 0.001163 x 0.2 / time in hours - 100 = Average amount of work in Watts.

So for example I used 3619kcal in 5 hours and 38 minutes so calculation is like this:

3619 x 1000 x 0.001163 x 0.2 / 5.63 - 100 = 109.55 Watts as average power / amount of work.

That - 100 is what you need to stay alive, it is really 80-100W and as I'm interested about average for one hour I subtract it only once from one hour result.

If you don't divide by time ( / 5.63) then you get watts for whole workout, where you must subtract time x 80 to 100 Watts, which would be 5.63 x 100 in my example.

x 1000 is to convert kcal to calories.

x 0.2 is to get only mechanical work, human have efficiency of about 20%, so 80% produces heat, hence the sweating.

So for that 109.55 watts I did produce 638W of heat every hour for 5 hours and 38 minutes, that is nearly 3600 Watts, I could bake a pizza with that amount of heat, I need to figure out how to store that heat for winter, I would get a Nobel or something! :D

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So for that 109.55 watts I did produce 638W of heat every hour for 5 hours and 38 minutes, that is nearly 3600 Watts, I could bake a pizza with that amount of heat, I need to figure out how to store that heat for winter, I would get a Nobel or something!
I went to a festival once where they had bicycles hooked up to batteries. All the power for the lights and sound systems at the different stages came from these batteries. they had people pedalling in shifts around the clock so that the music could keep going.

At least of you stay warm and active you don't need to turn the heat on in your house yet.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a festival once where they had bicycles hooked up to batteries. All the power for the lights and sound systems at the different stages came from these batteries. they had people pedalling in shifts around the clock so that the music could keep going.

At least of you stay warm and active you don't need to turn the heat on in your house yet.

:bigwink:
Problem is that all that activity happens at outdoors and seems not to help warming outdoors much :D

+3C this morning, have to go warming outdoors again...

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weather report was positive here today. Warm, sunny and windy. Very much spring weather for where I live and I loved it :) so wonderful to hang washing outside to dry instead of inside.
Legs (ouch) and biceps for me today. I was worried that I would be fatigued and would find it hard to get motivated this week. So far I've done well. One day to go.

Keep going everybody :clap:

Winchester Winchester what colour buds did you buy?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 hours and 24 minutes lifting wood today, average heart rate was 108 and maximum was 147.

1 hour of bicycling, average heart rate was 118 maximum was 138, I thought I did push very hard, but maybe my muscles just were exhausted or HRM battery starts to get dry, I think I was faster than normal because of time used, heart rate should of been bit higher according to speed that I did use.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
90 minutes yoga today.

One of the cats came and sat on me while I was doing my yoga sit-ups. (Boat pose, it's great for your core muscles!) Made the pose a lot harder. I'll have abs of steal if he does that every day.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
90 minutes yoga today.

One of the cats came and sat on me while I was doing my yoga sit-ups. (Boat pose, it's great for your core muscles!) Made the pose a lot harder. I'll have abs of steal if he does that every day.

Is that a trained cat or a trainer cat? :D

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
90 minutes yoga today.

I love it :funpst: I've had a cat sit on my back while I was doing push ups! I can relate to this.

I did my back and triceps this morning. That's my week finished. I had a great week.

Enjoy your workouts everybody :D

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think there should be more gyms with cats. There a great inspiration, so flexible and athletic, and they can give you that extra bit of weight to lift just when you need it.

An hour on my bike today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

90 minutes yoga today.

Both Banshee did and now Mollipop does have a thing about me exercising in the bedroom. I lay my mat out on the floor and before I can get on it, Mollipop is usually laying there. She also noses around my dumbbells and I'm always scared that I'm going to smack her with one of them. Eventually she hops up into bed with her head down over the side of the bed so she can keep an eye on me.

Same thing with my chair. I bring the chair over and I can't sit on it to do my exercises because Molli's there.

When Banshee was alive, I used to have to make her leave the bedroom and shut the door. The she'd go out to the living room and hop up on Rick on the couch for solace. And when I was done, as soon as I opened the door, she'd zoom back to the bedroom and yell at me for shutting her out. But again, the big worry for me was smacking her with a dumbbell.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Winchester, I think you are getting help from cats too, slower moves are harder moves :)

I had resting day today, but as I visited in a city with scooter, I used that time to train my abs or whatever deep belly muscles those are, to improve posture and such. 20 second holds for two hours and I feel that something is happening :D

I bought measuring strip today, one that cloth makers use, only measure I can brag about is biceps with 15 inches, thanks to heavy wood lifting. I hope that waist starts to get down soon, during last year there has been lot of extra inches appearing on my waist.

I'm running out of heavy lifting soon, need to put another tree down I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.