That's it, I'm digging a hole & you're never seeing me again!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

When Tyler
was diagnosed with bladder stones I was told it depended on what kind they were as to whether or not treatment with appropriate food could dissolve them, or if he'd need surgery.

He ended up needing surgery, and they were indeed calcium oxalate, which can not be dissolved as struvite can.

Here's hoping if there are stones that they are struvite so a non-surgical approach can be taken.
really? Chip's crystals were oxalate, & the prescription food worked on them... they didn't call them stones, but crystals. is there a difference?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

really? Chip's crystals were oxalate, & the prescription food worked on them... they didn't call them stones, but crystals. is there a difference?
Either there is a newer treatment (Tyler
had his stones at least 4 years ago) or it is because they were bladder stones.

Here is a good article by a vet clinic on this:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...er_stones.html

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Either there is a newer treatment (Tyler
had his stones at least 4 years ago) or it is because they were bladder stones.

Here is a good article by a vet clinic on this:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...er_stones.html
good article! here's what Chip was put on: Hill's x/d feline. might be a fairly new formulation.
after he finished it, i started supplementing some w/potassium citrate [didn't care for the ingredients in the Hill's].

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

good article! here's what Chip was put on: Hill's x/d feline. might be a fairly new formulation.
after he finished it, i started supplementing some w/potassium citrate [didn't care for the ingredients in the Hill's].
Good to know...hopefully this will help Squishy or someone else reading this thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pat & Lareen, thanks for the info. If I am remembering correctly (and my memory has gone down the tube this last week), stones are different from crystals. He has crystals in his urine for sure, so will need an Rx diet. IF he has stones, not sure how they go about getting rid of those.

He's still peeing blood. At least not near as bad....

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok, Natalie, what's going on!?! you're only supposed to have behavior problems, I'm the one that has the health problems! lots of vibes that both Squishy and Damita are ok

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh i hope its nothing serious! Shadow had bladder crystals a few years ago and had to stay at the vets all weekend on a cathider(sp?).. He was on the Hills special diet but we found that Friskies has a special diet that has basically the same stuff in it and he's been well ever since. Fin is on it too just in case! I hope its nothing more than that... Hugs and vibes!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vibes for Squishy and Damita and you!

Caliper has bladder crystals and is "banned" from eating anything seafood related. She's on the hills science diet for it. I hope Squishy's problem is easily treatable!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're back.....no stones. Sent away the urine sample to another lab to be cultured & if bacteria grows they'll test anti-biotics on it. He had a little growth on his leg removed while he was under, too.

The urine sample they got via cysto (needle into bladder) was relatively clear of blood, but he also peed all over & it was very bloody. So the blood is at least from irritation.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
May it be a quick rd of antibiotics ...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still sending lots of vibes! He might have had a stone and passed it, which irritated the urethra causing the bleeding. I hope antibiotics does the trick. I love all of your kitties, but I have a very soft spot for him.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Natalie, any news from the lab? How is Squishy doing?

Sending lots of

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No news yet on the urine sample, they said *probably* Friday.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got news back from the lab.

Squishy's idiopathic. There is no cause. This lab didn't find crystals in his urine (whereas my vet did suspect some were seen on the culture, but there was so much blood they were unsure). No bacteria in his urine, some RBC but no WBC. Basically, no cause for his "out of the box" experiences.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Got news back from the lab.

Squishy's idiopathic. There is no cause. This lab didn't find crystals in his urine (whereas my vet did suspect some were seen on the culture, but there was so much blood they were unsure). No bacteria in his urine, some RBC but no WBC. Basically, no cause for his "out of the box" experiences.

How are the antibiotics that he's on working? Is there still blood in the urine or has that now cleared up? Poor Squishy.