Snot Rockets--History of Chronic Sneezing

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet about Zenequin. It's what helped us with Hannah's pseudomonas.  Quite frankly, I'd listen to the second vet over the first vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got done talking with a third Vet and he said that the Baytril more then likely will not work since we tried the Orbox and that failed.

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did not get a chance. I am going to get a list together tomorrow and do more research and then email the vet and see what they say.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sensitivity analysis should be used to select the antibiotic with the greatest chance of success. Also, because an antibiotic is from the same "family" doesn't mean that they will be equal in how it affects the infection. I would think another option would be a combination of antibiotics. A longer course might also be required 

Did the culture test rule out a fungal infection, did they even look for it in the test?

@catwoman707  what are your thoughts on this?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

The sensitivity analysis should be used to select the antibiotic with the greatest chance of success. Also, because an antibiotic is from the same "family" doesn't mean that they will be equal in how it affects the infection. I would think another option would be a combination of antibiotics. A longer course might also be required 

Did the culture test rule out a fungal infection, did they even look for it in the test?

@catwoman707  what are your thoughts on this?
Also @StephenQ  ; your thoughts on this..

This poor baby has been jerked around. I would go with the one who did the C&S....I would forget about the first Vet, completely....

((Hugs)) to your baby and to you....so cute..

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As for the question on whether the C&S test checked for mold/fungus, if my memory serves me correctly, bacteria is anaerobic (without air/oxygen) while mold and fungus are aerobic (with air/oxygen)

Which would mean likely having to specifically test for mold/fungus separately.

Zenequin may very well be a good solution, I was unable to clearly read the sensitivity results, this is when the culture results are then tested against differing antibiotics to see what is most effective for treatment.

Also, while many drugs are in the same family, some can be very similar, while others target different strains/bacteria.

It sounds like the baytril and orbox are fairly close in relation, these 2 as well as zenequin are in the quinolone family.

The vets I use for my cat rescue are 'rescue' minded, meaning they are more open to combining meds for best results, some vets will and some won't, but it's possible that a combo may work well to finally cure.

It doesn't mean though that a single med won't work, based on the sensitivity test, it's best to go with what gave the best results in the lab.

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your first vet was irresponsible for "throwing"  every antibiotic at the issue without knowing what he was dealing with. What kind of medical professional does that? Every medication has the potential to have serious side effects (playing Russian Roulette with an animal is unacceptable). No wonder there are so many bacteria that are becoming antibiotic resistant. There is no excuse for not doing a culture to see what the issue was. It could have been a fungal issue that antibiotics wouldn't touch.  (BTW can you confirm with your new vet that they looked for a fungus in the culture given where he was living before he came into the house) 

I agree with going with Veraflox instead of Baytril. With respect to the suggestion to see what is causing the infection, that is a tough one, I would ask your new vet what he thinks. I am not a vet, but there is no reason both can take place at the same time, but the infection will need to be treated.

Your first vet really, really makes me mad. His treatment approach was beyond stupid. Sorry end of rant

Best of luck I hope Mr Kiddie get better 
I will ask the new vet if they looked for fungus in the C&S when she gets back into the office. Also, we dont know where he came from. He was a stray cat living under the deck of our house that we bought July of 2014. We didnt notice him until we started to clear away brush and plants. He slept in a pile of leaves and gravel under our deck proir to ise finding him.

Below is a picture of the first day I seen him and a picture taken a year later.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lucky cat to have found you! He is beautiful and looks so good! You've received some great insight and advice and I'm confident with your tenacity Mr Kiddie will get well. Sending positive vibes to you and Mr Kiddie :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a cutie and sweetie... Bless you for putting up with all of this for so long...

he is adorable....a very lucky baby...

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The results to the Culture and Sensitivity test are hard to read so I decided to type them up.
Below are the results

NUMEROUS PSEUDOMONAS ACRUGINOSA-STRAIN 1
NUMEROUS PSEUDOMONAS ACRUGINOSA-STRAIN 2
LIGHT BETA-HEMOLYTIC STREPTOCOCCUS GROUP G

Amikacin
P aeruginos
Result:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Enrofloxacin
P aeruginos
Result: 2
Interp: Intermediate

P aeruginos

B Streptoco
Result: 0.5
Interp: Susceptible

Marbofloxacin
P aeruginos

P aeruginos

B Streptoco
Result: 1
Interp: Susceptible

It looks like the only 2 Antibiotics (from your list ) that will work  on all 3 bacteria are   Marbofloxacin (  Zeniquin)  and  Enrofloxacin (Baytril)  but because they are only Intermediate for some, the course will need to be a little longer than usual. It is unusual that for some of the antibiotics they didn't list all 3 bacteria. It would be nice if they would have included Veraflox (pradofloxacin  )  I would ask if they could see how effective the Veraflox is. But if you had to choose between these 2 I think that Zeniquin has a slightly safer profile.   

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is good to check out with a range or vets, but ultimately follow the person you feel has the most information about Mr. Kiddie.   The two mentioned by Zed Xyzed and favoured by your vet are  because they are intermediate for 2 of the positive cultures and susceptible for the other, while other drugs only cover 2 of the infections and the infections Mr. Keddie has are also resistant to them.   The sooner you are able to make a decision and start a course the sooner you will see if Mr. Kiddie's infections start to respond, though I agree that he is unlikely to respond to a short course because 2 of the infections have only intermediate effectiveness and will need to be continued long enough to take affect.

Mr. Kiddie looks in so much better health now than when you found him and took him in and everything you have done for him so far has obviously made a wonderful difference to his life.  He is a beautiful cat and we can now all hope that through 2016 we will start to see his health really blossom.  Wouldn't that be precious.  Here's to what ever medication you and the vet go with does indeed beat these bugs and give Mr. Kiddie that gift of health he deserves. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, it looks like zenequin for a good 60 days, along with a nasal medication, whether it is given in drops or in a nebulizer in which the med is dissolved in water and aerosolized, which the cat will inhale.

The vet can also give azithromycin at the same time, which is an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory properties which will allow the meds to penetrate better.

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is blindness a side affect of Zenequin?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we treated Hannah, we gave her Zenequin orally and Gentamycin drops in her nose.  Many cats need to start with a lower dose of Zenequin and work up to a more effective dose as it's a pretty heavy hitting antibiotic. 

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On January 4, we started him on Zeniquin and Gentamicin nose drops.