Snot Rockets--History of Chronic Sneezing

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mr. Kiddie has a history of chronic sneezing. he also has had no response to antibiotics, NSAIDs, or antihistamines. Do you have any ideas as to what we could be dealing with?

Here is the long story or Mr. Kiddie

​We bought our house July of 2014 and in August 2014, we found out that there was a young male​ cat living under our deck.

From day one, Mr. Kiddie appeared to have an upper respiratory infection or Feline HIV Leukemia since he was sneezing, drainage, skinny and mangy looking.

Me being a cat lover I tried to convince my boyfriend​ that we should take him to the vet and keep him as an inside Cat but he refused since he is allergic, we already had an indoor rabbit, and we just bought a house and we couldn’t afford huge Vet bills​.

A week or so later, we noticed this long/deep cut on the top of the cats head so we cleaned the area and super glued it shut so it wouldn’t get infected, it eventually healed, but he was still in the same shape as he was when we found him. He was just gaining a few pounds from us feeding him and becoming more people friendly.

In October, he took a turn for the worst; he could hardly move or meow. My boyfriend finally let me bring him in the house for that night, and that night only, as long as we kept him in the bathroom.

The next day we took him ​to the vet, for the first time, and​ they were 99% certain he had Feline HIV Leukemia, but ​he came back negative. They dosed him up with some medications, did blood work and he was back to our house later that day.

Mr. Kiddie had to be on medication for a week, so my boyfriend let the cat stay​in the basement so we could make sure the cat was given the medication and did not run away before completing it.

He eventually became an inside cat, even though he was still sneezing what we call​ “snot rockets”.

Over this past year+ the Vet and I have ​tried:

Different medications from different families- Right now he is on Fluconazole everyday
  • Azithromycin
  • Baytril
  • NSAID injection
  • Chloropheniramine
  • Clavamox
Distemper/Leukemia shots

L-Lysine treatments-treat and powder form

Ears flushed with Malaseb and applied Gentizol since his years were filled with yuck

Nebulizer treatment with just saline

X-Rays to see if something was stuck up there and found nothing

Asthma treatment of corticosteroids

2 nasal sinus flushes and a cytology was submit  

​Grain free food

Teeth cleaning and a few teeth pulled-#301 and #409
  •  #3 has a tooth resorption
Z/D food started in September- he does have chin acne and also tends to lick a lot makin bald fur spots 

Mr. Kiddie was estimated to be around 17 months in January of 2015.

The Vet says the next step would be a CT Scan or MRI but that is really expensive.

They estimated it to be around $600-$1000 for a CT Scan.

​He sneezes about 4 or more times a day. I will try to post pictures; I also have a video of him sneezing on YouTube that I will try to post.

Could this be something that he is going to live with for the rest of his life​? any other ideas on what this may be? Do you think it is worth having a CT scan or MRI?

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has your vet looked for a polyp in the nose? Sometimes with chronic herpes flare-ups (URI's) a polyp will form in a cat's nose and irritate them.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Mr. Kiddie has a history of chronic sneezing. he also has had no response to antibiotics, NSAIDs, or antihistamines. Do you have any ideas as to what we could be dealing with?

Here is the long story or Mr. Kiddie

​We bought our house July of 2014 and in August 2014, we found out that there was a young male​ cat living under our deck.

From day one, Mr. Kiddie appeared to have an upper respiratory infection or Feline HIV Leukemia since he was sneezing, drainage, skinny and mangy looking.

Me being a cat lover I tried to convince my boyfriend​ that we should take him to the vet and keep him as an inside Cat but he refused since he is allergic, we already had an indoor rabbit, and we just bought a house and we couldn’t afford huge Vet bills​.

A week or so later, we noticed this long/deep cut on the top of the cats head so we cleaned the area and super glued it shut so it wouldn’t get infected, it eventually healed, but he was still in the same shape as he was when we found him. He was just gaining a few pounds from us feeding him and becoming more people friendly.

In October, he took a turn for the worst; he could hardly move or meow. My boyfriend finally let me bring him in the house for that night, and that night only, as long as we kept him in the bathroom.

The next day we took him ​to the vet, for the first time, and​ they were 99% certain he had Feline HIV Leukemia, but ​he came back negative. They dosed him up with some medications, did blood work and he was back to our house later that day.

Mr. Kiddie had to be on medication for a week, so my boyfriend let the cat stay​in the basement so we could make sure the cat was given the medication and did not run away before completing it.

He eventually became an inside cat, even though he was still sneezing what we call​ “snot rockets”.

Over this past year+ the Vet and I have ​tried:

Different medications from different families- Right now he is on Fluconazole everyday
  • Azithromycin
  • Baytril
  • NSAID injection
  • Chloropheniramine
  • Clavamox
Distemper/Leukemia shots

L-Lysine treatments-treat and powder form

Ears flushed with Malaseb and applied Gentizol since his years were filled with yuck

Nebulizer treatment with just saline

X-Rays to see if something was stuck up there and found nothing

Asthma treatment of corticosteroids

2 nasal sinus flushes and a cytology was submit  

​Grain free food

Teeth cleaning and a few teeth pulled-#301 and #409
  •  #3 has a tooth resorption
Z/D food started in September- he does have chin acne and also tends to lick a lot makin bald fur spots 

Mr. Kiddie was estimated to be around 17 months in January of 2015.

The Vet says the next step would be a CT Scan or MRI but that is really expensive.

They estimated it to be around $600-$1000 for a CT Scan.

​He sneezes about 4 or more times a day. I will try to post pictures; I also have a video of him sneezing on YouTube that I will try to post.

Could this be something that he is going to live with for the rest of his life​? any other ideas on what this may be? Do you think it is worth having a CT scan or MRI?
Many cats have chronic URI, feline herpes also known as Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis and can produce intense sneezing.  Was he tested for this?

See http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...nfection-or-feline-viral-rhinotracheitis/4107

Also, why was he put on Z/D food?  This is a very special food for Inflammatory bowel syndrome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They mentioned we could do a nasal scope but they could only go in so far so an MRI or CT scan would be the best route to go

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was negative for feline herpes. September 2015 was when he was put on Z/D. I thought maybe allergies. He had been on Z/D since. We have noticed his chin acne cleared up since being on Z/D

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would your vet be willing to try colloidal silver or let you try?

Although, just a gut instinct, the shape and consistency of the snot tells me there's some kind of polyp of something. Still, might be worth a try. I've never used it in my cat, but Ive read it can be applied in nose and eye drops.

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not tried colloidal silver but I will look into that and ask my vet about it. Thank you.

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to post a link to my youtube video of Mr. Kiddie sneezing. This is a bad sneeze that lasts over a min. He doea a sneeze like this about once a day or every other day. He does however sneeze at least 4 times a day with snot launching from his nose.

Let me know if the video works and what you think

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! Have they checked for anything like a fungal infection as well? Reminds me of something I saw where someone (a human) ended up having aspergillus.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So we see these almost daily in my house from my herpes positive girl.  Yellow or green discharge is a signal of some kind of infection.  The brownish tint or even red indicates there's blood present, most likely from repetitive sneezing or hard sneezing.  Most likely, he's got a secondary infection going on.  Ask the vet to do a culture and sensitivity test on the snot.  The culture will tell you what you're dealing with, bacterial or viral, and the sensitivity test will tell the vet which medication will best treat it. 

My girl had this about 8 years ago.  We went through the get sick, get meds, clear up, get sick, get meds, clear up cycle.  Finally took her to a cat only vet who immediately did a culture and sensitivity test.  She was diagnosed with a psuedomonas infection.  We treated her with 2 rounds of Zenequin, 21 days each with a C&S test between doses and at the end of treatment.  At the mid-point (after the first round of meds) she was still on the outside high range of normal.  After the 2nd round of meds, she was on the high side of the normal range, so under advice from our vet, we decided to stop the meds so that she wouldn't develop an immunity to the meds should she need them again in the future. 

We have found that switching to a grain-free food and adding a daily antihistamine really has helped keep her well.  Now when she sneezes like this, it's usually clear or very lightly discolored.  I probably should have her levels re-tested just to make sure her levels aren't elevated again. 

Last edited:

ekopischke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! Have they checked for anything like a fungal infection as well? Reminds me of something I saw where someone (a human) ended up having aspergillus.
The medication he is on daily is an anti fungal called fluconazole and he has been on that for about a year. If i take him off if the medicine(I did for a month or two) I do notice he had more sneeze episodes.