Photography

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the new pics everyone!! It is always so much fun to see what everyone has to share!! Lovely!!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistressotdark

fantastic roses!
Thank you!! I have been practicing a lot trying to get some great shots. I just sat there for a while taking TONS of photos until I got some that I really liked.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great photos everyone. I love the rose that has the snow on it - that is so pretty.

Here are a few that I took today. Hubby bought me some close up filters to put on the end of my 18 - 135 mm lens. Today was the first time that I tried them out. These are taken with the +4 diopter. I think I'm going to like them

First of all, this is the very old (and dusty) basket of dried flowers that I dug out and formed the basis for the close-up shots. I love the fact that it had collected dust over the years, it makes the seed pods so much more interesting (that's my excuse anyway
)

Close up shots of various flower heads and seed pods

I love the colours on this next one - the background colour behind the seed head is the sky outside our window. This is my new desktop picture on the laptop. On the +4 diopter there is a bit of vignetting, but nothing that a bit of cropping won't sort out.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a few photos I took of the luanr eclipse last week. My batteries died just minutes before totality
(it was -3 F and I stood out for an hour - I'm sure that had something to do with it).

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what kind of camera/lense do you have for that? How could you get that close? That is amazing!!

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its just a Sony H9 with a 15x zoom. I used a tripod to keep the camera still. It was so cold and I couldn't take off my gloves for very long to adjust the settings, so I just set it to aperature priority and used my remote to take the shots.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isabel

Its just a Sony H9 with a 15x zoom. I used a tripod to keep the camera still. It was so cold and I couldn't take off my gloves for very long to adjust the settings, so I just set it to aperature priority and used my remote to take the shots.
Well, you did a great job!! Yeah, it's hard to take night shots without a tripod!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

I love the colours on this next one - the background colour behind the seed head is the sky outside our window. This is my new desktop picture on the laptop. On the +4 diopter there is a bit of vignetting, but nothing that a bit of cropping won't sort out.
What did you use for those? I've been looking at macro lenses for my 35mm canon... I love macro photos!

Wow! Those look amazing! DH tried to use our canon powershot at something like 16x zoom but he didn't have/use out tripod (I might have had it with me) so it was very blurry... then he sneezed taking one!

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

What did you use for those? I've been looking at macro lenses for my 35mm canon... I love macro photos!

Wow! Those look amazing! DH tried to use our canon powershot at something like 16x zoom but he didn't have/use out tripod (I might have had it with me) so it was very blurry... then he sneezed taking one!
I've found a tripod is absolutely necessary to eliminate blur. Plus, using a remote shutter release (the H9 comes with a remote) or even using the self timer to trigger the shutter is helpful. Even a little jiggle from a finger pushing the shutter button can cause a big blur.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I have a Nikon D80 with a 18-135mm lens. I love macro photography, but opted to go for one lens that would do most of what I wanted to do and then added a Hoya +4 diopter filter onto the end of the lens - that magnifies the image 4 x.

I am sure that the image quality would be better with a good quality macro lens, but I want something that means I can take one lens with me when we travel. Weight is such an issue with carry on luggage in Europe on planes, that I need to keep it to a minimum as I certainly don't want to put photographic equipment in the hold luggage.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Wonderful pics, ever thought of a career in photography??
I want to do pictures for weddings. I have done just one wedding so far. I was pretty happy with how they came out and the couple loved them. I have always loved photography.

Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

I have a Nikon D80 with a 18-135mm lens. I love macro photography, but opted to go for one lens that would do most of what I wanted to do and then added a Hoya +4 diopter filter onto the end of the lens - that magnifies the image 4 x.

I am sure that the image quality would be better with a good quality macro lens, but I want something that means I can take one lens with me when we travel. Weight is such an issue with carry on luggage in Europe on planes, that I need to keep it to a minimum as I certainly don't want to put photographic equipment in the hold luggage.
I have a Nikon D80 as well. Aren't they fabulous cameras?? I really need to get some new lenses and filters.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

I have a Nikon D80 as well. Aren't they fabulous cameras?? I really need to get some new lenses and filters.
I'm only just getting to know mine and so far I think it's fabulous! I've had a really busy time at work since Christmas (working every evening and weekend) and this is the first time I've been able to really take some time with the camera.

I LOVE the Nikkor 18-135 lens. I tried the Nikkor 200mm VR but for what I want to use it for, just couldn't justify the leap in price. Particularly when what I really want is the ability to take close up shots.

By the way - I'm not ignoring the lunar eclipse shots that everybody is so impressed with, I just can't see them. I don't know why - I'm just getting the dreaded red x

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's a few photos I took of the luanr eclipse last week. My batteries died just minutes before totality
(it was -3 F and I stood out for an hour - I'm sure that had something to do with it).

just Xs for me, too

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Awesome pictures!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't put any pictures in here for a while. Here's one of my niece and nephew I took yesterday. I took tons of photos. This is one of my favorites: