Photography

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gorgeous photos everyone! The cows are gorgeous; I love the shadows of Hastings Pier and the misty morning in the woods is just lovely

We're just back from a week in France, we flew on a no-frills airline so had a really skimpy luggage allowance which meant nothing fancy like close-up filters or tripods. I tried some night shots and was really pleased with the results (I've never really done much night photography), especially as I only had the rail of the bridges to lean the camera on.

Here are the photos of Sete's canals at night - I would have preferred a bit more light in the sky but hey! I had to finish dinner first
The first one shows all the sea-going fishing boats moored alongside the canals for the night

The canals are tidal, here the tide was coming in and you can really see the fast inflow of seawater

looking towards our hotel

the same view by day

I don't have a macro/micro lens, but do have some close-up filters. However, I didn't have enough room in the luggage to carry them. These damselflies were taken on the camera's close-up setting and then cropped to concentrate on the insects - they came out pretty well considering

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These are so gorgeous, Beth!
You're an amazing photographer! The boats are quite lovely moored along side the canals. The shot facing your motel is so beautiful with such an elegant feel! It's amazing the contrast between the night and day view of the same shot.

Wow! What an amazing shot of the damselflies, I've never seen such incredible detail of one of these!
Thank you so much for sharing your special pictures!

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just saw this thread, and if ya don't mind, I'll overload ya with some of my favorites. <3 I got into photography seriously in February. I just can't stop taking pictures of EVERYTHING! So, if I post too much tell me to STOP!

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and... finally...

And I'll end it with one of my cats, Max. =o) Hope I didn't over do it. I have tons more, but I think I've overloaded ya enough for now. Enjoy! Feel free to critique!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the new photos!Fantastic job! I really enjoy looking at photography. There's never enough to look at! So post as many as you would like!!

What kind of camera do you use?

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-H3. I love it. =o) Thanks for the compliment! I'll be sure to post more soon!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! I love your eye.

I have a general question... how many of you are using tripods? What about those who've taken night shots and macro photos? I have a decent camera but my pictures never seem to be the quality I'm expecting and I think a tripod might help... of course, I don't often have time to leisurely go out shooting so a most of my shots are impromptu which means no tripod.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Close up and night shots are very difficult to get without a tripod unless you have a DSLR and a lens with vibration reduction. I have a DSLR but my lens doesn't have vibration reduction.

The night shots in this post http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...&postcount=362 were taken by resting the camera on the flat rails of the bridges. They were very wide and provided a good stable base.

The close up shots in that post were hand-held. I have taken some others in the garden at home - you have to scroll down this post a bit to the ones with the bees and hoverflies. These were taken with a tripod as I had close up filters on the lens, and it was impossible to hold the camera still without a tripod. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173872

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a couple night shots last night. I meant to use my tripod but when I got there, I realized I forgot the peice to mount the camera on. So I had to lead against a wall and do the best I could. Fortuneately, my new camera has image stabilization in the body so I'm sure that helped a lot.

This one I'm trying to decide if I want to take out the relfection from the moon or not (upper right). What do you guys think?

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those came out nice! It is so hard to get night shots but you did a great job!!
I kinda like the reflection of the moon. I think it is a cool touch to the photo. You could always copy the photo, then take the moon out on one and see which one you like better. The building is really gorgeous!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

Those came out nice! It is so hard to get night shots but you did a great job!!
I kinda like the reflection of the moon. I think it is a cool touch to the photo. You could always copy the photo, then take the moon out on one and see which one you like better. The building is really gorgeous!
Thanks! I kind of like the reflection of the moon as well. You're right on though. All I have to do is make a copy and take it out of one. The building IS gorgeous!
That's the Mormon Temple in downtown Salt Lake City. It's a marvelous piece of architecture and has some very interesting history behind it. It's also a perfect photographic subject no matter what the outdoor conditions are.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's good to see that this thread is still going strong with all of the wonderful photos!

This is a recent photo I took at our last trip to the Merritt Island National Wildlife refuge. Mike said he looked like he was coming right for me-good thing I had a zoom lens!

Hosted on Fotki

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool pic!! I agree, it is wonderful that people are still posting photos!! It's so much fun looking at them!!