Penelope and Her Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was acting very strange last night, very restless and searching for a place to hide in every possible crevice. Today her belly looks droopier/lower and she is grooming her belly more. She also just jumped on my bed and snuggled up in a soft blanket, which is so unlike her, she tends to favor cold, hard surfaces. So it's getting close! I mean she really only has a few days left so it HAS to be getting close anyway. :)

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think your in for kittens if she drooped! May I ask, can you please post a picture? Keep us updated :)

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if she actually "dropped" or if her belly is just getting so big and it's changing. When I took her in the vets last month they thought she was maybe 3-4 weeks along. If that were true then she is only at most about 55 days right now so we still have a lot of time. I personally thought she was more like 5 weeks along just due to what I found from research. So really who knows. I'm done trying to figure it out. It'll happen when I least expect it anyway!

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any new pictures at the moment, all she does is sleep and lay around, nothing to really see:)

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her nipples would be large and pink by 3 weeks, and she would show at maybe 5 weeks unless she is having a large litter. Sounds close. :)

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens yet? Close? She will lactate at labor. You can hear her purr, pant , shriek, ect. Hope the best for mama and kittens :)

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Kara, seems like it will be soon for you. My foster cat is also quite young and pregnant with her first litter. She lost her mucous plug last night so, it should be in a few days. Your girl looks alot bigger than mine..don't be surprised if she has 4 or 5. There is no way a vet can accurately tell without doing an U/S or xray.  It is a good idea to confine her so that she doesn't escape. You could end up losing all of them. They can get quite frantic right before giving birth and need a spot they feel safe. First time mamas can also be a bit neurotic on moving there kittens. Can you not set her up in a spare bedroom? Give her two or three places so she has options? Anyway, good luck :)

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please keep us updated! I am on the edge of my seat......

Last edited by a moderator:

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No kittens today. I have a feeling it won't happen until late this coming week.

We did have her confined in the bedroom because the dog didn't like her much (or maybe liked her too much?) but as of last week they really are getting along well and I'm letting her roam the house during the day while we are home. Now we have been putting her in our office (right beside the front door) when we leave from that door so she doesn't escape. Either that or I have her go in the basement. I hate that she wants out so badly. I don't know if it's a pregnancy thing or if she just really loves being outside but I did pick up a cat leash to take her out after the kittens.. Hopefully that doesn't just make it worse.
As much as I am excited for kittens, I'm scared that some won't make it or if I do end up with a lot of them that I won't find homes. I'm so happy my husband has agreed to keep one. He is really taking a liking to her for him not being a cat person:) the money issue of all of this is driving him mad. All the money in cat food (she ate 2 cans of wet food today and nibbled at some dry!) and we go through so much litter with just her, since she eat a so much. I can't imagine how it will be with kittens too! I'm saving extra money in case if we have to take them or her to the vet for extra visits if problems. It's a little frustrating seeing all that money being spend on our cat! I have 3 kids, I think I'm spending more on my cat then my kids right now!

And just because I like to take pictures.. Here she is tonight.. Always watching me as I get ready for bed. Love her so much already and I've only had her for a month but I couldn't be more attached! (I wish she would just get off the bathroom counter before she falls again- but I can't seem to keep her off!)

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn't look so big there, when she lays like that. I know I felt 2 kittens. I think I felt 3, bit I'm not exactly how long they are and if that was the same kitten or another one further down. It's hard to tell!

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If  you do end up taking her out on a leash, make sure you use a harness. A collar is too easy to slip out of. I posted a photo of my momma my own thread. She is also grey.

I've only had her a couple days, she was really busy for the first 48 hours, acting all pre birth like..today, nothing. Lounging quietly every time I go in. I have her in my daughters room who

is away at University. I have three dogs and three cats of my own. She didn't seem to care at first but then hissed and swatted at one of my cats so she'll have to stay separated for

everyone's safety.

Sorry to hear it's been financially hard on you. Start networking now to find homes. :)

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It hasn't been really that finaincally hard, my husband just likes to complain, haha! But I am worried how it will be once the kittens are here so that is way I'm saving up some extra money.

My kat is acting verrrry strange to me. She jumped up on my bed with me and is laying right on my chest. Just that alone is unlike her since she doesn't typically like soft places. Now she is grooming herself (not down there though) nonstop. THEN she brings her face to mine and licks my whole face (ouch, by the way!) and then licks herself morex then she licks my whole hand and chews on it (in a grooming way, not mean at all) she has ne'er been this lovely. It's very strange. .

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, she got off the bed and turned around and she is losing her mucus plug. She just made a growling noise. You can hear the kids downstairs, I think she is growling at the noise they are making so I sent them in the basement to play

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see the kitten/sac hanging out of her now just a little. How log can it be there? It's been like this maybe 8-10 minutes and she hasn't pushed it out yet!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have seen forumists tell it could hang quite some while, and everything ended well.   but it isnt optimal no.

Best to have your own friendly vet at the telephone, the answer goes quicker and is safer...

Good luck!

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
4 babies so far!

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3 dark/ black ones, one orange. Weights are 80, 89, 82 grams. Didn't get the last one yet

Is it ok if they don't drink from mom right away? They tried at first but just couldn't get it. And then she kept stepping on them while laboring so I moved them to the side. Is that ok??!

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't put them aside, they need mamas warmth. Encourage them to suckle by setting there mouths on the nipple gently and see if they start to search. It is very important they nurse as soon as possible.

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And another 82

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she still contracting? Did she pass a placenta for all four? Encourage her to lay with the kittens. She must be exhausted!