7 Years at Rescue Facility

Patty Marlon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A month ago, my husband and I adopted Marlon from a local Cat rescue. This poor boy is 7 years old and has been at the Rescue since he was a kitten. We saw his story on FB and wanted to foster at first. We have a quiet home with just one other cat. From Marlon’s picture he is a spitting image of our Baby Moe (3 years old). We were told Marlon liked the cats at the Rescue and he was fine with the workers, but always hid. He is still hiding in the furniture, but goes downstairs to use the litter box and eat. If we are in the room he makes a mad dash for the stairs. He WILL NOT come out from hiding except after we go to bed. I set up a camera and there are pictures of him and Moe interacting (looks very relaxed with Moe). Even if I am not sure if he is in the room, I will talk to him. I want him not to be afraid. But I don’t know what I should do. I feel so badly for him. TIA

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is so wonderful that you adopted this cat. Of course, with his background, his adjustment could be complicated. But the fact that he and your other cat get along well, is fantastic, as that would have usually been the biggest challenge. So, it is all going to be an easy fix from here, as long as you are patient.

Ideally, you would have had him confined to a small area to begin with. But being that he has access to the house now, I wouldn't change his area now. So, keep allowing him access to the areas he has now and let him form a close bond with your cat. Which, hopefully he will.

For now, let him do his little hiding thing and only come out at night and sneak around like a little ninja. Let him do that as long as he likes. You have to understand that with what he has gone through, this is an extremely stressful time for him, and he needs to first decompress and then learn to have some confidence in his surroundings, his new cat friend, and hopefully, eventually you. The cameras are great because you can make sure he eats and drinks and uses the litter pan.

For now, ignore him, don't talk to him. Don't look at him, don't do anything that will make him think you know he is there. This may take a while, as in months, but eventually when all the pressure is off and he thinks he is invisible to you, he will start to gain enough confidence that you can try to engage him to play. But, for now ignore him.

Most people don't have the patience to do this. But it does work.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new family member and God Bless you for giving this sweetheart the forever home he deserves - you make my heart jump with Joy!

With hidey ,scaredy cats small containment is usually the best way to build their confidence and I'll explain why that is.Familiarity gives a cat comfort,ideally they must establish a territory as their own space to be confident and for their curiosity to motivate them to explore relationships- this is not set in stone because cats do have very individual personalities but typically it is first things first with kitties- first territory,second socializing

So,I'm going to guess that because this boy resided at the shelter 7yrs and was not socialized is because he never had the opportunity to establish a safe space that was HIS- if shelter animals are caged that becomes their safe space and it's pretty easy to socialize if they have many different caregivers that handle them daily and pernit them to explore beyond their cages- most shelters are too full and too busy to give every cat that kind of attention and usually if they get along( or even 'avoid' other cats the long term residents are put in a multi cat enclosure space - and then honestly there's even less individual attention given to the scaredy cats

Having said all that and since he's not contained it's going to take a long time but it sounds to me he could not have landed in a better environment than yours--- the fact that Moe is accepting of Marlon and he is not avoiding his new friend is the best news ever- he will likely watch and learn from your resident Moe....

So the bedrooms are upstairs? That's where he hides during the day? Does Moe go upstairs during the day or y'all hang out downstairs? Where does Moe eat and is the only litter boxes downstairs( btw it is absolutely fantastic that he goes downstairs for the litter box and food) If you don't mind me asking those couple of questions before continuing on.....

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Btw- Gunther4ever Gunther4ever rescued a true feral from a feeding colony while vacationing in Florida- she had him" Buddy' shipped to her home State- talk about a scaredy cat!!!!

Anyway,similar set up as yours with upstairs bedrooms where he his all day ,only a multi cat household with one little bratty girl named Heathen( lol) who terrorized poor Buddy for months and wouldn't let him downstairs!

Long story short with lots of time,love and patience Buddy is loving getting petted and is acclimating nicely and he was an older feral... So Marlon is going to be fine,we are all here to help and give you suggestions that eventually result in finding his respective,comfortable place with his loving forever FAMILY- ❤❤❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Patty Marlon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It is so wonderful that you adopted this cat. Of course, with his background, his adjustment could be complicated. But the fact that he and your other cat get along well, is fantastic, as that would have usually been the biggest challenge. So, it is all going to be an easy fix from here, as long as you are patient.

Ideally, you would have had him confined to a small area to begin with. But being that he has access to the house now, I wouldn't change his area now. So, keep allowing him access to the areas he has now and let him form a close bond with your cat. Which, hopefully he will.

For now, let him do his little hiding thing and only come out at night and sneak around like a little ninja. Let him do that as long as he likes. You have to understand that with what he has gone through, this is an extremely stressful time for him, and he needs to first decompress and then learn to have some confidence in his surroundings, his new cat friend, and hopefully, eventually you. The cameras are great because you can make sure he eats and drinks and uses the litter pan.

For now, ignore him, don't talk to him. Don't look at him, don't do anything that will make him think you know he is there. This may take a while, as in months, but eventually when all the pressure is off and he thinks he is invisible to you, he will start to gain enough confidence that you can try to engage him to play. But, for now ignore him.

Most people don't have the patience to do this. But it does work.
Thank you for your insight and encouragement. I know he is eating because I give him Fancy Feast in the evening and it is always gone. Moe does not like wet cat food. I feel badly that Marlon is not getting brushed, which we were told that he likes. My husband and I will keep patient and hope Marlon will eventually overcome his uneasiness. thank you again.

Patty Marlon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I wish we had this clear of a picture of Marlon as you have of yours. They are always in our hearts.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cheetah was is many generations feral living in the mountains. I got her at 4 or 5 months of age after being trapped in a 30 foot deep dried up well.

She was extremely feral. I took her home and she lived in a cage for a month. It was a big cage. It started out in a side room and then was moved to the “cat room” where Rusty, the sweetest cat in the world lived. Although, Rusty had access to the house when I was home, when I was at work he stayed in the room.
One day, after working all night, I had to work another shift, so it meant that I was gone for 24 hours. I asked my bf to feed plenty of food and just open the cage door and close the bedroom door. Rusty was about 17 lbs and Cheetah was around 4 lbs. I figured no matter what, Rusty would survive.

When I got home from work, I expected to see Cheetah hiding in the cage and Rusty freaked out. I checked the cage and no Cheetah. Rusty was in his cat bed on top of the wardrobe curled around Cheetah. He cleaned her head and her ears and she just hid almost under him. After that she was in the room but could venture out if she wanted.

Cheetah stayed in the room about a week, but then started following Rusty out into the living room. It took about a month before she stopped taking a couple of steps and then bolting back to the room. It took almost a year before she was no longer running and hiding if I looked her way. After 6 months she would actually interact with me, but still was frightened by sudden movements. She did love to play with the wand toy right from the start, but I couldn’t look at her or she would run.
After about a year and a half she would sit on the couch with me or my bf. By 2 years she would jump on my shoulder. Now, 14 years later she isn’t afraid of people at all.

She took it hard when I had Rusty euthanized due to end stage kidney failure and she looked and cried for him for months.

Cheetah was extremely feral, that’s why all this took so long. She also was so untrusting of humans. Your cat isn’t feral, so it should not take as long.
Just be patient and it will all work out.

Do be careful going in and out of the house, because if he escaped, you wouldn’t see him again.
Thank you so much for giving this cat a home.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A month ago, my husband and I adopted Marlon from a local Cat rescue. This poor boy is 7 years old and has been at the Rescue since he was a kitten. We saw his story on FB and wanted to foster at first. We have a quiet home with just one other cat. From Marlon’s picture he is a spitting image of our Baby Moe (3 years old). We were told Marlon liked the cats at the Rescue and he was fine with the workers, but always hid. He is still hiding in the furniture, but goes downstairs to use the litter box and eat. If we are in the room he makes a mad dash for the stairs. He WILL NOT come out from hiding except after we go to bed. I set up a camera and there are pictures of him and Moe interacting (looks very relaxed with Moe). Even if I am not sure if he is in the room, I will talk to him. I want him not to be afraid. But I don’t know what I should do. I feel so badly for him. TIA
Firstly, THANK YOU for adopting Marlon! You have done a wonderful thing. But Marlon has been moved from what had become familiar environment to a new, strange one, with new, strange people and a resident male cat. It will take time, patience, and a lot of love to make him feel at home, just like it would with an adopted child or anyone, really. A month is really not a lot of time. It can take longer. It actually took about a year for one of my beloved cats to really fit in -- this was largely due to him having been an "only cat" and joining a large feline family where the alpha male wasn't real chuffed about him being here.
Experts in cat behavior suggest letting the new adopteee acclimate in a separate room with everything he needs for up to 2 weeks, gradually letting him and your resident cat see and sniff one another through a crack in the door, working up to feeding on opposite sides of the door, and then allowing supervised visits, working up to longer times and finally giving Marlon freedom in the house once you know they will get along. Spats are still fairly normal at times. As long as they are not violent, it will be all right. Male cats may be territorial and they may have to work out their "pecking order." This isn't always the case. As with humans or anyone else, it depends on personality. Take it slow and know you'll get there in time. ;):yess:

Patty Marlon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cheetah was is many generations feral living in the mountains. I got her at 4 or 5 months of age after being trapped in a 30 foot deep dried up well.

She was extremely feral. I took her home and she lived in a cage for a month. It was a big cage. It started out in a side room and then was moved to the “cat room” where Rusty, the sweetest cat in the world lived. Although, Rusty had access to the house when I was home, when I was at work he stayed in the room.
One day, after working all night, I had to work another shift, so it meant that I was gone for 24 hours. I asked my bf to feed plenty of food and just open the cage door and close the bedroom door. Rusty was about 17 lbs and Cheetah was around 4 lbs. I figured no matter what, Rusty would survive.

When I got home from work, I expected to see Cheetah hiding in the cage and Rusty freaked out. I checked the cage and no Cheetah. Rusty was in his cat bed on top of the wardrobe curled around Cheetah. He cleaned her head and her ears and she just hid almost under him. After that she was in the room but could venture out if she wanted.

Cheetah stayed in the room about a week, but then started following Rusty out into the living room. It took about a month before she stopped taking a couple of steps and then bolting back to the room. It took almost a year before she was no longer running and hiding if I looked her way. After 6 months she would actually interact with me, but still was frightened by sudden movements. She did love to play with the wand toy right from the start, but I couldn’t look at her or she would run.
After about a year and a half she would sit on the couch with me or my bf. By 2 years she would jump on my shoulder. Now, 14 years later she isn’t afraid of people at all.

She took it hard when I had Rusty euthanized due to end stage kidney failure and she looked and cried for him for months.

Cheetah was extremely feral, that’s why all this took so long. She also was so untrusting of humans. Your cat isn’t feral, so it should not take as long.
Just be patient and it will all work out.

Do be careful going in and out of the house, because if he escaped, you wouldn’t see him again.
Thank you so much for giving this cat a home.
Thank you for your story. It gives me hope that Marlon will eventually come out and want to be with me and my husband. you’ve given me the strength and patience to let Marlon make moves on his own terms. Thanks so much.

Patty Marlon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congratulations on your new family member and God Bless you for giving this sweetheart the forever home he deserves - you make my heart jump with Joy!

With hidey ,scaredy cats small containment is usually the best way to build their confidence and I'll explain why that is.Familiarity gives a cat comfort,ideally they must establish a territory as their own space to be confident and for their curiosity to motivate them to explore relationships- this is not set in stone because cats do have very individual personalities but typically it is first things first with kitties- first territory,second socializing

So,I'm going to guess that because this boy resided at the shelter 7yrs and was not socialized is because he never had the opportunity to establish a safe space that was HIS- if shelter animals are caged that becomes their safe space and it's pretty easy to socialize if they have many different caregivers that handle them daily and pernit them to explore beyond their cages- most shelters are too full and too busy to give every cat that kind of attention and usually if they get along( or even 'avoid' other cats the long term residents are put in a multi cat enclosure space - and then honestly there's even less individual attention given to the scaredy cats

Having said all that and since he's not contained it's going to take a long time but it sounds to me he could not have landed in a better environment than yours--- the fact that Moe is accepting of Marlon and he is not avoiding his new friend is the best news ever- he will likely watch and learn from your resident Moe....

So the bedrooms are upstairs? That's where he hides during the day? Does Moe go upstairs during the day or y'all hang out downstairs? Where does Moe eat and is the only litter boxes downstairs( btw it is absolutely fantastic that he goes downstairs for the litter box and food) If you don't mind me asking those couple of questions before continuing on.....
thank you for your insight. The first week we had Marlon, we confined him to the lower level. We kept Moe on the main floor with his litter box and food. After a week, we opened the cat door going down to the lower level so he could move around. we have a large litter box and they are both using it. Marlon is hiding in the furniture on the main floor; where we sit when we are not outside or upstairs/lower level. He did some socializing with the volunteers at the shelter because they told me he liked being brushed. But his buddies were the other cats; they used Marlon as a pillow. But even at the shelter he liked to be able to hide in the pet beds.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for your insight. The first week we had Marlon, we confined him to the lower level. We kept Moe on the main floor with his litter box and food. After a week, we opened the cat door going down to the lower level so he could move around. we have a large litter box and they are both using it. Marlon is hiding in the furniture on the main floor; where we sit when we are not outside or upstairs/lower level. He did some socializing with the volunteers at the shelter because they told me he liked being brushed. But his buddies were the other cats; they used Marlon as a pillow. But even at the shelter he liked to be able to hide in the pet beds.
Fantastic- he'll come around quickly as you've got everything set up- it's a great layout and wonderful that he's hiding where y'all hang out- he's getting used to your scents and sounds and his extremely likely to interact before you expect him to in this way....

You have a great attitude,no timelines with unrealistic expectations,love and patience --- that's the recipe for success and cannot fail- Its really a breath of fresh air to meet a lovely cat Mama like you- welcome to TCS,it's a pleasure to have you here!❤

Patty Marlon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fantastic- he'll come around quickly as you've got everything set up- it's a great layout and wonderful that he's hiding where y'all hang out- he's getting used to your scents and sounds and his extremely likely to interact before you expect him to in this way....

You have a great attitude,no timelines with unrealistic expectations,love and patience --- that's the recipe for success and cannot fail- Its really a breath of fresh air to meet a lovely cat Mama like you- welcome to TCS,it's a pleasure to have you here!❤
Thank you for your kind words. Here is a picture of Marlon that the Rescue posted on FB. The 2nd one is of Baby Moe. I can’t wait to see both of them “in person” and see who is the largest!.

Attachments

Patty Marlon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Btw- Gunther4ever Gunther4ever rescued a true feral from a feeding colony while vacationing in Florida- she had him" Buddy' shipped to her home State- talk about a scaredy cat!!!!

Anyway,similar set up as yours with upstairs bedrooms where he his all day ,only a multi cat household with one little bratty girl named Heathen( lol) who terrorized poor Buddy for months and wouldn't let him downstairs!

Long story short with lots of time,love and patience Buddy is loving getting petted and is acclimating nicely and he was an older feral... So Marlon is going to be fine,we are all here to help and give you suggestions that eventually result in finding his respective,comfortable place with his loving forever FAMILY- ❤❤❤
Thank you for the encouragement!

Patty Marlon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First thank you for saving another cat and bringing it into your family. Please be patient, I adopted 2 cats and it took almost 2 years for them to become part of the family. But now they are part of my daily life.
Patience seems to be the top advice and we will follow that. I think Baby Moe is keeping an eye on Marlon. Last night Marlon made the dash to the cat door (heading downstairs), and he stopped and turned around and looked at me for 5 seconds before going through the door. I was ecstatic!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Patience seems to be the top advice and we will follow that. I think Baby Moe is keeping an eye on Marlon. Last night Marlon made the dash to the cat door (heading downstairs), and he stopped and turned around and looked at me for 5 seconds before going through the door. I was ecstatic!
FANTASTIC!!!I'm ecstatic too!