Penelope and Her Kittens

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
when the mom is contracting and laboring, she doesnt always have patience or time to nurse them. Putting them a side a while may be OK,  IF you assure they have it warm and comfortable.  Ie some sort of warming pad (but not too much, too warm is almost as dangerous as too cold).

Also, sometimes milk is quite late with the mom, comes first after delivery.

But if the milk is waay too late, you must be prepared to step in...  but Im sure you Kara know this, as  you know to weigh them as soon practically possible.

The weights although rather minuscule, are still on the OK side.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a heating pad under the box, and had the kittens there. We just had #5. They are all with her, none of them seem to know how to nurse though!

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Placentas have all been passed. All but 1 eaten

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think another one is coming. Maybe after all are born they will nurse

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. How exciting. You said three dark and one orange. Any other colours?

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take away any remaining placentas. She has ate enough. Stefan Z is right, they are on the lower end of "normal" scale for weight. Again, encourage them to suckle when Mama is done. Poor baby mama..I hope she's almost done!

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she is done. She had 6. She is letting them there to nurse, but they dont get it, even when I put them right up to a nipple! I'm getting nervous!

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it's nerve racking but I've never had a kitten that didn't eventually nurse. Just monitor and keep trying.

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Ok things are going better. I have no idea which kitten I weighed was which:/

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok everyone is nursing! Final count is 6, mama is doing well, has eaten some food and is resting. I want to change the stinky bedding and weigh the kittens again now that I have a better look at them and can see which is which but I don't want to move them around!

ktknievel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok everyone is nursing! Final count is 6, mama is doing well, has eaten some food and is resting. I want to change the stinky bedding and weigh the kittens again now that I have a better look at them and can see which is which but I don't want to move them around!

Mama is beautiful and the babies... so sweet! So much for 2 babies :lol3: So glad to hear all are nursing, keeping the little ones and mama in my thoughts (and you and your family, things are going to get crazy soon, I bet!) :vibes::vibes:

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good job little Mama! Wow six...

Let them nurse for a couple hours before changing sheets. That way, they have a good start. Normally, once

they get onto it..there's no more issues latching. They will often nurse more than not but make sure you take note

of any one that is consistently seems to be "sleeping". It could be weak and unable to nurse.

I bet you are relieved!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks ginger not tortie but I could be wrong.
Poor mama. All that hard works and now has to lie on her side with six little mouths sucking. They have teeth don't they.
I remember my son. His gums were like teeth.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am referring to the kitten far left that is a torti and the kitten on the other side of the orange kitten.

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a tortie(I think ts a tortie- I'm not good with that stuff) and a ginger then two black and grey striped and two black with some darker stripes and white on the face.

One black is a bobtail and one gray stripe is a bobtail so they are easy to tell apart!

Last edited: