Penelope and Her Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a little concerned with mama now. She seems to be breathing very fast and purring like something isn't right. It's not continuously but I definitely notice it. I was able to change sheets, she has been eating a lot of wet food that I have added water to. But she seems so tired. Which is understandable, she had 6 kittens under an hour! But that's been awhile now and she still is so exhausted How normal is this?

lovemyzoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know how normal it is because we've only had one foster litter born here (6 weeks ago), but the mama cat had a very difficult delivery and she panted on and off for the first 24 hours. I really thought she had another kitten coming, but she didn't. In our case, the mama was pretty obviously stressed initially, and it also seemed it was too hot for her in our kitten room. She stopped panting (and went to just breathing rapidly) when I got the temperature in the kitten room down. It turned out ours had some kind of injury/pain in her hindquarters after delivery as well, so the fast breathing may have to do with pain as well. If your kitty is eating, that's at least a positive sign. The purring a lot sounds normal to me. Our mama kitty became very talkative once the kittens was born, and has remained so.

Your babies are beautiful! I hope all eat and gain well so you can just enjoy them and not have any worries.

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been 8 hours since she had the babies so I can't imagine she would have more to get out by now, although she still looks a little big. Her bottom looks swollen and bloody but I'm sure that's normal, she isn't bleeding. I'm just keeping an eye on her and will call the vet in the morning if she still seems odd.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as she is eating and you don't notice any significant blood flow (there will be some spotting) I wouldn't become to worried yet. If something is wrong, she will go off her food.

I had a first time momma that was so exhausted after three..she couldn't stay awake. She ended up having a fourth 3 days later!

I can't believe it only took one hour. That is super fast. Usually it's over 2 to 4 hours.

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens? And immediately put her in the nesting box! I am left on a cliff hanger, and on the tip of my seat.......

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@kittycatlovemew I started a new post about it, they were born already.. 6 of them!

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry. And I knew that was gonna happen! Sorry you have to cope with 6. Oh boy, was that vet wrong! I should have said that some can be hiding. I am really really sorry I didn't :(

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's fine, I was starting to realize there was probably more then 2, haha! They have all stolen my heart already, I'm just nervous about Penny, she is breathing fast.

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like on the other thread, she can still be out of breath and exhausted. I hope ever thing will stay okay. I love her litter! I think they are a bit smaller because it is either in there genes or there were sk many pacted in het that there size is what it is! :) ;)

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How so you know if it's just normal exhaustion or something more? I'm trying I figure out if she is warm or not (it's not that warm in the room she is in. She just is laying there, only moving when I give her food or if a kitten starts crying. I'm just getting nervous. I know this was a lot for her but I don't want her getting eclampsia or something.

jinn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say congratulations my girl also had 6 kittens 2 weeks ago :) I'm not an expert so I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour or not hoping all the best for mummy and babies, maybe start a new thread about your concerns hopefully someone will be able to help out.

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens seemed to only gain 5grams, with one gaining 8 since birth. It's been almost 24 hours since they were born. Is this ok?
My mama cat seems much better now, not breathing rapidly but she seldom leaves the box or gets up. she got out of the box once or twice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How was it, wasnt yours rather smallish, just above 80 g each?   They wont gain as much as these over 100g. In percents yes, but not in absolute numbers.

Also, the first  day they really lose some, but hopefully gain soon after, and the sum will hopefully be plus.

Yours are plus, I think it is decent and even fully satisfactory.

Good you are watchful, you must be, who otherwise will be??

But at this moment it seems fully OK, I think.

*vibes!*

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. They were all around the lower 80s..I figure there isn't much I can actually do to help, but this is one of the few! I'll try not to worry much :)

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there still a hard lump, kitten hard, is there any puss on her bottom? I would eye the vet carfully about this. I really hope the best for cat and kits :)

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyone seems to be doing well. Penny's breathing is back to normal, she does his thing where I can't tell if she is gagging or coughing. Maybe both? It's not often and usually goes away after she eats so I'm going to just keep an eye on that but otherwise everyone is fantastic. Mama finally gets out and walks around occasionally when the babies are sleeping but she really prefers to stay with them at all times. She is protective but not too protective. She lets my kids pet the kittens but she keeps a watchful eye when she hears the dog or a child is too loud.

Kittens are growing nicely!

we are at 105g, 101g, 108g, 96g, 101g, 101g the smallest one was also born just under 80grams but she is gaining weight on track so I'm not too worried.

They are all in my bedroom and never make a peep at night, I'm not sure how long that will last though! I'm so relived there are no problems and hope it continues this way. We have a few people interested in taking a kitten, and as happy as that makes me, it makes my heart ache a little. But there is no way we can have 7 cats! We are keeping mom of course and one kitten. I'm trying to talk my husband into keeping 2. I don't think he will go for 3 cats though!

Anyway that's my update! And of course a picture!