Pawley - and all of us - could use your vibes

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWWWW - he has a CUTE FUNNY NOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rub: FYI - Pipsqueak has one kidney smaller than the other and it is not that unusual as you say. :nod: Well, not surprised on the possible lung worm. You have been through that one before :rolleyes: Asthma - we know all about that too. Pawley has honestly hit the jack pot in finding you and Gary, Laurie. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :heart3: And, yes, agree. No calmative needed because it is best that he feels like he has arrived to heaven :9: when he comes home from the vet.

I know I PMd you this link on the suggestion of a crate/pen that may fit in your space plus allowing some vertical space but wanted to add it in here in case someone else is interested. I have two of these and they are what I use all the time when socializing feral cats/kittens. The only time I ever allow them into a safe room is after they have completely given in to me with pets, holding, etc., and it also gives them time to see and hear what home life is all about. They are out in our living quarters with us. This pen can also be used for a very long time if need be. Also I wrap these placemats around the plastic shelves. They tuck under the corner flaps and can be removed for easy cleaning/washing. Make the shelves non-slip. I get them at Petsmart and here is an example but it is not this much. You can find them there for around $10.00 http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15449926&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

For the back of the feeding shelf; On the outside of the cage I install a sort of backsplash. I punch holes in a heavy duty plastic place mate - all four corners. Use twisty ties and tie the placemat to the outside of the pen along the whole level of the feeding shelf. This way, my own cats cannot put their paws inside and pull the bowls or pull out food OR splash and spill the water bowl. My Perkins will do that. :lol3: Plus, it makes the feral cat feel more secure about eating with that backsplash in place. I also use a heavy dark blanket to put over the top of the pen. My cats will perch on top and it makes a great way for interactions and my cats are free to make the decision if they want to do this or not. Makes intros. a breeze. Expect some hissing, though. :lol2:

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: FOR PAWLEY and continuing his journey to a new, better life. :Wings:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome to hear that you have Pawley and he is in such good hands! Bless you for your patience and endurance. How many cats do you have in the rv?
Thanks Lauren, for the ideas and links! :hugs:

We have 8 in here already. Other than Ming Loy (who was literally thrown away with her sister - a garbageman rescued them), they're all feral rescues. Two of them were older when we brought them in.

Lauren, thank you so much for the ideas and links! :hugs:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I reread some of this post and found tears in my eyes for sweet Pawley.  Laurie, you rock!
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: EVERYONE that cares for ferals rocks!

OK. His blood work all looks great - except he's slightly anemic. As everything else is normal and there was no evidence of fleas, this is most likely due to chronic illness, and he just needs time to get better.

He does have lung worm and roundworm. He'll need two weeks on panacur for the lung worm (should also take care of the roundworm). As he'll be in a cage here, we're not sure whether we'll keep him there for two weeks or not.

Dr. Summers forgot to ask Dr. we-don't-like for an age estimate. And they didn't discuss his teeth, so we don't know if there were any signs of dental disease or not (we forgot to ask yesterday. I'm hoping that she didn't mention it means there wasn't).

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just catching up on this! I'm so glad you finally caught Pawley and that he's in good hands. 
I'll echo what others have said and that he is really lucky to have found you and Gary. 

Do we know, at this point, what is causing the anemia? Did he get tested for FIA?

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great that the Panucur will also cure lung worm along with the rounds. Excellent on that blood work too. I wonder his age too - I am going to guess young adult? 2 - 3 yr.? We will see what the vets say. I think so far so good with his vet checks and tests - other than some things here and there - nothing serious and I hope that continues to be so. It always makes me shudder though when we find out about a feral cat that has recovered and healed all on his own from a leg break. :( Dixie had one of those on her front leg - healed all on it's own. She never limped though. It amazes me at how strong :soldier: these little ones have to be in order to survive and at times being in great pain but still they go on. :sniffle: Overall, Pawley seems to be in pretty good shape for a guy living the hard life. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's so good to know that he will be warm and safe now. I'm in Texas and the weather here is turning nasty. I can only imagine how bad it gets for those of you in less temperate areas.

I just did the pm feed for the colony and the only cats I saw were the ones in the "cat hall" , they use the doggy door into the laundry area. The other night I got clothes out of the dryer and didnt slam the door shut. When I went back out there , later , two cats strolled out of if. If I could be sure that the door wouldn't close on them I would put some bedding in the dryer and let them sleep there.

The photo is of Smudge in one of her favorite beds. It is a wooden box with some holes that I ordered online. I put a pillow or bedding on top to create another bed.

I expect to have a hall full of furry friends tonight. Blessings to all of you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww, that's so sweet! I love that you have a "kitty hall." :lol3: There are maybe 2 or 3 of the 11 ferals currently active in the colony that would consider venturing inside. MAYBE at night to eat when no one was around? :dk: I tend to doubt it... :sigh: Well, it's not an option anyway. :(

Gary and I talked... and we ordered the 42" crate. If it's too small, we'll exchange it for the 48".

Pawley is "at most two years old." :D He was most likely born in spring/summer of 2012.

We saw him today. Eyes still very goopy. He was absolutely terrified (of course). But he let me pet him, and our favorite vet tech was there (the one that clips Tuxie's nails). We showed up at 4:30pm, around the time I feed the ferals. Well - I follow the sun, so it was a little early. Poor thing was shaking, but he let me pet him. He didn't relax like he did outside (of course). But he stopped trembling, and pushed into my hand.... no purr, no surprise. I just kept talking to him. I fed him some Fancy Feast (the food we left for him). He dove in. He only eats at night when no one's around.

I want him home.

The vet said he needs to be there at least a week before he comes home - give the antibiotics time to work.

GoHolistic - there was no reason to test for FIA. Reticulocytes weren't elevated - nothing at all was abnormal about his CBC other than the hematocrit, which was 24%, so just technically anemic. Not unusual in ferals, who normally have a lower HCT than pet kitties. This will probably improve with his health and diet.

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a good vet team. I hope that they give you a break on the fees. We started going to a small town near us to the vet because it was no so costly. It's still not inexpensive when we are caring for so many. We have six house cats and about 15 outside colony cats. Of those there are only a handful that won't let is handle them. We have only had to take two of the colony cats to the vet and they are both socialized.

I was asking about the number of cats you had inside because we travel with our house cats in a motorhome. We started with a tow along trailer with two cats. After we switched to a 5th wheel and our travel cats had grown to four. Hauling them in and out of the tow vehicle was not fun for anyone. The cats also didn't have room to do much I. The truck and one of them was a half grown kitten. What a train wreck that was!

We went into the motorhome because we felt the cats would be less stressed. There are six now and but we took four on a short trip and they did a lot better.

Next trip we will have at least 6 and maybe 7. One of my outside cats has a mouth condition and I feed him wet food twice a day. He is my liove and I hate to leave him at home. We boarded him the last time and he just quivered when I picked him up. He didn't leave the yard for about a week after we got home.

I'm trying to convince my husband that Pounce won't hate bring stuck inside for a while. I suggested a very short trip so if he is too nervous we can get home quickly. I think only the die hard cat folks will understand running your life to suit the cats! Lol

Miss Kitty and TJ on a trip.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a die hard cat person and understand. Considering not going on a business trip because DH is on a trip the same week. Don't like for or cats to be without one of us at least.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well - I follow the sun

. I just kept talking to him. I fed him some Fancy Feast (the food we left for him). He dove in. He only eats at night when no one's around.

I want him home.

:sun: Following the sun :clap: I have always done my feral feedings according to the afternoon sun - an hour or so before it begins to set. :hugs: SUN FOLLOWER!!! :sun: :lol3:

Laurie!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!!! The fact that Pawley ate his FF when you were there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE sign of his trust and love. HMMMMMMM :think: I bet this little man will be coming around quickly once you get him home. :cross: :cross: The days will fly by and he will be HOME SOON with you. :heart3: He has quite an eventful few weeks ahead of him with this major life transition. IT IS ALL GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy3: :high5:

More of these always help too. :hugs: :Hand: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, I think so too. He'll have to remain caged for a bit, just because of the round worm shedding. The lung worm can only be gotten through a host - but we are NOT going to deal with round worm problems. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: The round worm here are often resistant to drontal, and there is no way I can give 9 cats panacur for two weeks for two or three rounds. :eek:

Sweetthing, when we last traveled in the RV (hubby has very debilitating medical issues now that prevent traveling, even in the RV), we took out all the furniture in the living room, and put in cat furniture:

And we cut holes in all sides under the bed (which is for storage, for those without a motor home ;) ), and put beds and boxes under there - they all hang out there during the travel:

And for living in the RV, we made a lot of modifications to fit - as comfortable as possible - us and all the kitties (which will now be 9 inside!)

Removed the dining room and put in cat trees, shelves under the window with seats for the cats at the window. The overhead compartments in that area are dedicated to them - so they can really get going, running around, using the entire area as a jungle gym, with access at both ends from the overhead compartments (easier to see those overhead compartments in the pic above) :

And a number of other easy modifications:

These steps are for our handicapped kitty, so she can get up to the dash area:

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

And we cut holes in all sides under the bed (which is for storage, for those without a motor home

And for living in the RV, we made a lot of modifications to fit - as comfortable as possible - us and all the kitties (which will now be 9 inside!)

Removed the dining room and put in cat trees, shelves under the window with seats for the cats at the window. The overhead compartments in that area are dedicated to them - so they can really get going, running around, using the entire area as a jungle gym, with access at both ends from the overhead compartments (easier to see those overhead compartments in the pic above) :

And a number of other easy modifications:

These steps are for our handicapped kitty, so she can get up to the dash area:

I"m sorry about your hubby's medical condition.  Your set up is incredible!!!!  Where do the humans live?!  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HAHAHAHA - I get the one space open on the couch and use my laptop on my lap, and Gary gets the chair on the passenger side and that little side table. :flail:

To bring Pawley home, we're putting that chair in storage, folding up that table you see next to it, and his crate will go there.

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi LDG

Amazing pics - makes me blush to think I complain that our house is over-run by kit-kats and their stuff but hey we still have room to move!  Well, sometimes carefully.  One very silly impediment is a bunch of brown packaging paper that come from our Chewy's orders, they just love to play in it.  My husband has learned to roll his wheelchair right over it, but I'm glad we rarely have company - how do you explain a living room full of screwed up rolls of paper!!!  Hmm, well folks it's for our cats!  To me the trade-off is the hours of entertainment they have (and entertain us too) running and jumping and pouncing and rolling in it and shredding it and generally having a ball, especially in this lousy weather when they can't go outside to let off steam.  Their scratching post and toys are in the midst of the paper which makes it all the more fun. 

So when is the trouper Pawley coming home?

best best best wishes and such admiration for you

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a post with more pics of the RV and how it's set up for "settled" living:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/222037/your-home-picture-thread#post_2941804

We no longer have that beautiful deck - but we moved down to the last spot on the same road in the RV park. We now have an ENORMOUS site with no neighbor on the back side. It is PERFECT for caring for the ferals here.

This is when the site was empty, but before they fixed it up for us to move here (they poured gravel for the actual site where the RV sits), and then a kind of "panorama" of the area:

This is the back of the site:

And heading around, left-to-right:

Beyond the end of the mowed area here is a several acre field. The ferals love hunting bugs and mice in there:

A winter picture of part of the field:

....and Baloo enjoying access to the roof of the RV this summer. :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi LDG

Amazing pics - makes me blush to think I complain that our house is over-run by kit-kats and their stuff but hey we still have room to move!  Well, sometimes carefully.  One very silly impediment is a bunch of brown packaging paper that come from our Chewy's orders, they just love to play in it.  My husband has learned to roll his wheelchair right over it, but I'm glad we rarely have company - how do you explain a living room full of screwed up rolls of paper!!!  Hmm, well folks it's for our cats!  To me the trade-off is the hours of entertainment they have (and entertain us too) running and jumping and pouncing and rolling in it and shredding it and generally having a ball, especially in this lousy weather when they can't go outside to let off steam.  Their scratching post and toys are in the midst of the paper which makes it all the more fun. 

So when is the trouper Pawley coming home?

best best best wishes and such admiration for you
Well, living in an RV - especially without slideouts - is not for everyone. :lol3: Gary and I were on the road full time in the RV from 1994 - 2001 for work (we're partners in work). It works for us.

Pawley will be at the vet for at least a week. We're in on Monday to chat with our vet about it. We're not sure if he comes home mid-next week, the end of next week, or after he's been there a full two weeks. The advantage of keeping him there a full two weeks is that if he still needs it, he can be sedated one last time to check his HCT again before he comes home - see what's up with the anemia after a few weeks of good food, warmth, antibiotics and dewormer. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pawley is a lucky boy. I believe that the cats that find us ( or that we find) are the ones that need us the most. Some may need more than others but no matter what I always feel like I get the best of the bargain.

I know most of you can relate to and remember the beautiful feeling you got the first time that hard to know cat graced you with a purr. A head bump from a grouchy old timer makes my week!

I have a unique problem just now. We took a clan newcomer to be spayed on Thursday. She was so round I just knew she was pg. turns out that she was just chubby. We recover them in the hall bath and most of them nearly trip over themselves to dash back outside the first time the door is opened.

Molly seems to have decided to move in. She is very tame and we can handle her. She is not so good with other cats. We left the bathroom door open for about half an hour and she just stayed in her bed. I don't want to force her out but she acts like this is club med or something. I'm afraid that she will send a change of address notice to the post office soon!

I'll give her more time. It is still chilly outside but a think four days or so should be plenty of recovery time for a young healthy cat. Right