Pawley - and all of us - could use your vibes

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yea!!!  Thank goodness.  I am so glad you got him before the bitter cold returned.  I hope the vet visit goes well. 

Will he be staying inside with you or will he go back out?  I am hoping for the best!!!!

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terrific job - so glad you got him to the vet. Any news yet? 

You must have had a hair raising drive - we took Patience to the vet today (turns out nothing serious, likely just an intestinal infection) and the roads were vile.

Fingers crossed Pawley has nothing serious either and you will be able to keep him in, at least during the deep freeze.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good job. Maybe he can stay at the vets tonight? Done want anything happening to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pawley will be an official foster, and will not be going back outside. But as we have no way to isolate him here, he will be at the vet for 10 days to 2 weeks. It will be up to the vet to let us know when he can come home without risk to our other kitties, many of whom are health compromised to begin with.

This is how we've managed feral rescues since returning to the RV. It seems to work well - they're so relieved to be out of the vet that they don't freak out being in our home. :heart2:

No word from the vet, and Gary is going crazy. I figured she wouldn't see him until the end of the day. Not sure if her official day ends at 5:00 or 8:00. If he needs to be sedated for an exam, they'll likely do it tomorrow. :( "Our" vet is not there tomorrow. :sigh:

Oh I just remembered - I didn't specifically ask for blood work, but we'll want it done.

The drive was not fun, nothing had been plowed yet. :lol3: But talking to him in a baby voice all the way there helped me stay calm. ;) There was very little traffic, and whoever was out was also driving slowly and carefully, so that helped. The hard part is getting up the steep driveway back into the RV park, but I grew up in Chicago and was born in February, so I learned to drive in the snow. I just made a wide angle turn and stepped on the accelerator. :lol3: Thankfully, we have great snow tires on the van!

SO glad it was nothing serious for Patience!

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, our vet - who is GREAT with all cats, but especially difficult ones - could not handle Pawley. :( So he'll be sedated tomorrow for an exam, tests, blood work, x-rays, and likely at least neutering.

I'll post when we have news.

And yes, we are SO SO SO relieved this happened today, before this round of crazy cold weather!

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear you finally got Pawley. It is so cold where you are, I have been sending prayers your way and for all the feral kitties living outside.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've only just caught up on this, Laurie.  What a wonderful tale.

Here's to Pawley's journey to great health and happiness, and to you for making it happen!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo::clap::high5::woohoo: :D :heart3:

THRILLED - just BEAMING (can you tell :lol3:). Now, MEGA MEGA VIBES for Pawley to settle in, be negative for those tests, and get healthy. AND, not be toooooooo scared. I suspect, as you do, that he knew he needed help and gave in. He KNEW what you had been trying to do for days but just got the courage to go along with it - peacefully. Certainly the sedation is needed for the little guy's exam and tests. This is a major culture shock for him but one he knows he needs to have survived. He will be alright !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Ginkgo: :cross: :vibes: :clover: Bless his little heart AND Bless your BIG HEART Ya know I love ya too. :hugs: ;) :sun:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First report: no FeLV or FIV! :bigthumb: He looks good, "excellent" body condition. His lungs sound good, his heart sounds good.

No sign of fleas or ticks. Stool and urine samples taken and sent out. Blood drawn.

He was neutered this morning, and Revolution was applied.

She can't feel anything wrong with his leg. Under sedation, there's no way to tell if he's in pain when it is manipulated though. He does have an ulceration on one of his eyes, and it does not look like the normal herpes dendritic ulceration. Treatment would be eye drops - but they can't handle him, so we'll have to see what happens over the next few days or once we bring him home.

He was given a shot of convenia because of the goopy eyes - the green goop indicates bacterial infection.

The one odd thing is his nose. Apparently his nose is unusually "thick."

So x-rays are being taken of his leg and his nose. He is also getting a full body x-ray to make sure there are no unusual lumps or bumps in there where they shouldn't be. :rub:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS. What a day that little man is having. I hope he knows we are all pulling for him. :lol3: :cross: :heart3: EXCELLENT NEWS on those tests. More jumping for joy :lol2: :jump:. You know, Laurie, I noticed on the one picture you posted of him under the RV that his nose, to me, looked a bit big. I thought it may have been the picture. I hope that turns out to be nothing more than a healed war wound. Poor baby. I hope he makes it through these next days alright and HE WILL but he will be a bit scared and stressed. I wonder if they could give him something to help with that. :dk: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if he should have anything for the anxiety of being there. :dk: Billy and Chumley went through the same process - and the stress of being at the vet made being released "inside" in a "friendly" environment made the transition to inside... easier, I think. :dk: The difference about bringing them back was that Billy totally trusted us and loved other cats. Chumley got his own trailer for three months, so he got used to living inside and developed a measure of trust for us before he had to contend with an RV full of cats - and we were able to make slow introductions. There's no trailer to rent, so .... we have NO idea how we're going to do this or what's going to happen. :eek: :cross:

X-ray news!

Nose: soft tissue only, nothing actually wrong. He just has a funny nose. :lol3:

Leg: OLD break. Completely healed. At the elbow. Joint completely fused - thus the limp. Bad arthritis there. Pain? :dk: We'll have to see. He'll need treatment for arthritis - maybe pain meds on an ongoing basis. :dk:

Body: one kidney larger than the other. Could be normal - it's not unusual. Blood work will be back tomorrow.

Lungs: diffuse inflammation throughout. Could be heartworm, lung worm, or asthma. Given the history of ferals here, most likely lung worm. Fecal will tell, we'll know tomorrow.

I forgot to ask for a guess as to age. We'll be dropping off food, probiotics and lactoferrin this afternoon, so I'll ask then.

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great update, so glad he is negative for the most evil things and getting treatment.  Hopefully he will settle in when he gets home, at least for the duration of this dreadful cold. 

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome to hear that you have Pawley and he is in such good hands! Bless you for your patience and endurance. How many cats do you have in the rv?

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just catching up on all of this. So glad he is safe!