Pawley - and all of us - could use your vibes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pawley ate the late night meal when it was served! Gary put it in the little house bed with him. As I put the dishes of food out for the other cats, I heard noisy eating, lol. It was Pawley! He licked his plate clean.  We gave him some more raw chicken, and he ate that too. We didn't want him to overeat, but that was only about 2 ounces, so I had Gary offer him a little more. He didn't want it. So he's sated and medicated! YAY! I bet he'll sleep well tonight and eat breakfast. :) (knock wood!)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Lauren. We were anxious about a 9th kitty :lol3: But now it's just exciting. A new life for Pawley. :heart2: :D

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, he didn't come out for breakfast. :heart2:

I don't know if he's hiding - or sound asleep. But this is what we woke up to - and is still the case:

He's under the pillow in the hidey bed. :rub:

The good news is that he did use the litter box to pee last night! It still stinks like tom cat pee. With Chumley, it only took three days to calm down, and it's been over a week since Pawley was neutered. I know it can take a month to six weeks though.

I continued to talk out loud about everything I was doing as I did it. And we put his breakfast out for him along with the others - but he hasn't stirred.

So after breakfast, I covered his crate with a sheet (leaving the window side open). I may draw the curtains - he may not want all that light. He did live UNDER the RV, rarely coming out... I'm not quite sure what would be best.

I did decide to leave his food out until AFTER I feed the ferals outside. He may hear the call I make for them and respond to that? :dk:

Speaking of which... I'm rather late for that. ;)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's been through a lot, I'm sure he's exhausted. He just doesn't know how good he's got it yet! Good luck and bless his little soul.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, he's been through a lot.

But letting him hear me call the ferals for food worked. I called out as I was closing the door, then again as I opened it when I was done. He was peering out over the pillow. :lol3:

I took his dish and put it in the bed, and went to make something to drink. When I came back, he was in the exact same position. I thought he hadn't eaten. I decided to take the dish away. Lo and behold it was EMPTY! :clap: I did a quick check to make sure it hadn't just spilled out everywhere - it hadn't. He ate it all. :heart2:

We're just leaving the sheet over his cage today, and pulled the curtains closed. :rub: :heart2:

Yes, I'm sure he's EXHAUSTED. That's what all the older ferals do as soon as they realize they're safe: they sleep. Chum didn't do much but sleep for weeks. :heart2:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad to hear he's home. I think he is going to adjust fine to the good life with you and Gary.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
.  We gave him some more raw chicken, and he ate that too.
:D :D :D :lol3: Here is what Pawley is thinking. :think: "HMMMMMMMM - this is incredible. I don't have to expel precious energy trying to catch my food, kill it, clean it, de-bone it, etc. It comes fully prepped :shocker:!!!! WOW, just WOW. These people are really, really GOOD HUNTERS!!! And, I get my breakfast served in bed from now on. I think I will LOVE this place." :flail:

But letting him hear me call the ferals for food worked. I called out as I was closing the door, then again as I opened it when I was done. He was peering out over the pillow. :lol3:

:
AWW TOO CUTE - peeking. I am laughing as I read this because that is exactly what I would do - be calling before I shut the door. :lol3: and then when I opened the door. Again, he is thinking. :lol2: "HMMMMM, I am in here now and not out there. OH - now I know what the lady, my new momma, meant as we arrived home yesterday when she said that I was not going "down and out", I was coming "up and in". This must mean something really good!! I have moved UP in the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :lol2: hee hee :bigwink:

So very happy and gleeful to hear all about his day. The hiding/camping out is going to be normal for awhile. I mean, that is all he did under the RV!! In time, once he is rested fully mentally and physically, he will become more brave. :D :soldier: :D

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Aw Lauren, thank you for the laughs!

Yeah - he's coming around. He obviously is just following the "needs LOTS of sleep" pattern.

To our knowledge, he hasn't left his bed today. But at dinner, he heard me calling the ferals - I feed them (with the sun still setting fairly early) and then come in to feed the inside cats. He was peering out from under the pillow, and Gary held the dish for him. He sniffed Gary's hand and the dish, and started to eat. :clap: Gary set the dish down and let his hand brush Pawley's cheek as he withdrew his hand.

Pawley had chicken hearts and liver (with a touch of FF).

No poop so far today... but we can also smell he hasn't gone in his bed. :lol3: ( :cross: ).

So yep, Lauren! Pawley seems to be enjoying better than room service - it's "meal-in-bed" service! :) :rub:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie - see your carpeted two foot condo in your LR? Put that inside the crate. I use those. Pawley will LOVE LOVE that. Vertical space inside the crate and he may be able to squeeze on top of the little condo too. ;) :hugs: :heart3: I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to hear that he is adjusting so quickly. It is really pretty darn amazing. This little man - to me - definitely has had some human contact somewhere in his early start of life OR he is one of those ferals who just WANT and NEED humans. Totally possible. :nod: And even more possible is that you and Gary give off such a serene energy and light that he is completely captivated by it and going to trust you both rather quickly. You have a unique situation, a great love for your cats (inside and out) and that energy just explodes from all around you. :D :sun: :heart2: :9:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, his little meowing at times says to me he's had human contact. :nod:

He used the box last night for both poop and pee. :D (Two clumps of pee, in fact! :lol3: )

Gary sat with him for a while in the wee hours of the morning, just talking softly to him (had the cover down). Then Gary heard scratching in the litter box, and then Pawley meowed. :lol3: Gary woke me up (???). He was worried about the meowing. We pulled up the cover - and he was just sitting there, in the space between the box and the edge of the cage - and he didn't run away! I scooped his box, and we told him what a good boy he is. ;)

This happened today (no more hiding under the pillow in the bed!)

He slept most of the day. And about half an hour ago, he came out - and is sitting in his litter box, up, curious, looking around!

I took Lauren's advice, and put the condo in there.

When I did, I slowly reached over. He reached out his head a little, sniffed my fingers. I moved my hand closer, stroked his cheek - and he LEANED INTO it. He flopped on his side (in the box though, LOL - it's clean, unused), and we had a big ol' petting session, like we used to outside. :heart2:

Oh - that mess in the front is freeze dried chicken leftovers from treats. ;)

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lovegrin: If you can, hang a hammock near the carpeted condo. I don't think it will take long for him to investigate it and then enjoy resting in the hammock while looking out the window. I use these as well in the crates during socialization. Gives the kitty more confidence and a few choices of places to rest/nap and hang out. :D

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He can't bend his left leg - it's fused straight because of the old break in his elbow. You think he'll use it??? (A hammock)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, his little meowing at times says to me he's had human contact. :nod:

Oh - that mess in the front is freeze dried chicken leftovers from treats. ;)
Yes, for sure on the first point. :bigthumb:

And for the second point :lol3: :lol2: I don't know if anyone would have noticed. :lol3: :hugs: In fact, his crate looks emaculate. I am sure now that he has enjoyed some FD chicken - he MUST know now that THIS MUST be a little taste of heaven. :9: ;) :hugs: :heart3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He can't bend his left leg - it's fused straight because of the old break in his elbow. You think he'll use it??? (A hammock)
Yes - sure!!!!!!! You have the option of hanging it lower or higher. Make it a step up from the top of the carpeted condo. For sure, our little man will try and will succeed and then ENJOY!!! :D :D :rub:

p.s. think of a three legged kitty. ;). They get around extremely well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they can do it, so can dear, darling Pawley. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: At the very least - it is another option for him to investigate, and that he WILL. :D :dance:

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's under the pillow in the hidey bed
This happened today (no more hiding under the pillow in the bed!)
He may just turn out to be a Burrower. It's fun having a Burrower in the house.

Congratulations to all of you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is!!!! :heart2:

I went faster than planned with Pawley's transition to raw. He loves it, and his poop no longer smells. His pee is still a bit "tom cat," but that'll just take some time. It's already not as bad as it was. And we're adding water to everything he eats (even his meat chunks, LOL). We're hoping keeping him really flushed will speed up the process of cycling those stinky hormones out of his body.