Pawley - and all of us - could use your vibes

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, just look at him on top of that condo. What progress already. :)

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's so good to see and hear how well Pawley is doing He is starting to believe in the goodness of people. Bless you for your caring hearts.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, that picture of Pawley ON TOP of the cat condo says it all...I'm one happy, soon to be, fat[ish] cat.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, that picture of Pawley ON TOP of the cat condo says it all...I'm one happy, soon to be, fat[ish] cat.
YES!!! YAY for Pawley. WOW, he looks completely at home. I think he is going to transition into the swing of home life rather quickly. :heart3: Excellent on the raw, Laurie!!!! :clap::clap::clap: Really, I would think the feral kitties would take to it without hesitation. Hey - already prepped, cleaned and YUMMY!!!

How are the all of your other's taking to Pawley? It seems this is all going SO SMOOTHLY !!!!!!!!!!!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: that it continues on this path! :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, let's hold off on the "smoothly" part until we're at the introduction stage. :lol3:

Pawley is definitely comfortable now. He slept the deep sleep of a cat that knows he's in no danger. :heart2: He didn't wake for pans banging or the door slamming... he will likely mostly sleep for days.

We'll take a stool sample in Thursday, and have results back Friday. We'll see when - on that basis - he can come out of the cage. The rest is up to him - how much sleep he needs, how stir crazy he seems - to what extent we can handle him. We can both pet him - and he would let us pet him endlessly at this point. He drools and purrs... and then falls asleep with his head in our hand. :rub:

Some of the kitties are mildly curious. Billy the most. Flowerbelle was standing on the box on the couch craning her head this morning, so I picked her up and showed her around - she was trying to shove her head between the cage bars. :lol3: Pawley just lay there, relaxed, watching. Her curiosity was sated. ;) Every time I pet Pawley, I let everyone sniff my hand, and I tell them about him joining the family... over and over and over again. :lol3:

I did think about the eating dynamics. As I suspect he'll (at least initially) be a "floor" kitty, right now Ming Loy is the only one that eats on the floor - at the base of the cat tree. No one eats on the lower level. So today I moved her eating spot up there (she is sometimes there, and I put her bowl there anyway, so this isn't completely out of the blue). This way when Pawley's ready to join the non-caged kitties for a meal, he's already got a place for his dish to go. I also like that the "signal" is that he's low man on the totem pole - I think that's reassuring to the other cats.

:rub:

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwwww, I'm so thrilled!!!!  I've been away a bit so got caught up on the whole story.    I can tell Pawley knows he's got it made in the shade now

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lDG

You mentioned previously that you use a pet communicator. I have done that as well and really feel that it has helped. I had a youngster that was traumatized a bit after his neuter and he avoided me like the plague. After my communicator visited with him he understood why he had been trapped and the necessity if the surgery. After her visit he started to warm up to me and he is now a wonderful, social kitty.

The phot is of Inky before he talked to the communicator.

We took a trip in the rv with our four cats a while back. It was the first trip for two of them. Trouper hated it and just stayed behind the furniture when we were parked. I aske the communicator to talk to him before the next trip. I had asked her to tell him that we were going to get a motor home to travel in because we felt like it woud be more agreeable to him.

I laughed out loud when she told me what he said to that. He said " oh I guess that means that there will be a next time. That's too bad!"

I think the cats like being able to give their point of view from time to time.

My family thinks I'm crazy but they could be right,

Best to you and your crew. Parleys progress is amazing. He is such a handsome guy too,

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our animal communicator has been SO helpful to us and our kitties. This is who we work with: http://www.enlightenedanimals.com/ I LOVE Ellen, she is absolutely wonderful. :heart2: When we had a problem with Sheldon and Chumley (who had been recently introduced to our home), her talking to both of them resolved the problem literally overnight. I guess cats aren't very good at communicating with each other at times! :lol3:

Pawley's got the daily routine down now. He was out of his bed, up on the condo, ready for breakfast. No more meals in bed! ;)

Oh - and until we get a shelf in there, he now has an option for stretching out while lying down that isn't the covered bed. :rub:

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pawley is probably thinking he is on one of those luxury cruises. Hand made meals, luxury accommodations, two valets at his beck and call. There is even on board entertainment provided by the other eight passengers. The only amenity he is not given is an opportunity to get off at the ports of call.

The only downsides are the fact that he was shanghaied and put into quarantine and given a pretty strenuous medical before he got to board the ship.

I am being careful not to let any of my cat crew see the posts. I don't want them begging to go on that cruise.

Just kidding around here. He really is a lucky boy and my hat is off to you two for your kindness.

I use a different pet communicator. She I has been a lot of help. She has spoken to nearly all of my cats and one of my deceased dogs. She really captures their personalities. I have one cat that I feel gets my vibes. Sometimes I ask him to tell the others things for me. But, you know how cats are. They don't always care what you have to say.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is really, really incredible how he is coming out like this. He is really adjusting quickly to life indoors and in his cage. I think he SOOOO needed to be an inside kitty. Don't we wish they could just sit us down and tell us all about their past life before us. I guess it really doesn't matter though - what really counts is now and looking forward to a long life of love, fun, snuggles and most of all, PEACE. :D :clap: Well - let's hope for the peace part AFTER introductions. :lol3: :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes: So far it sounds like everyone is dealing quite well with Pawley and his cage. ;) :lol3:

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for the all clear on that stool check!! :cross:

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is such a beautiful story! You and your husband are wonderful furparents. God bless you and everyone who helps creatures great and small! I've been so depressed. Just a couple of days ago it was on the news a local man tortured and killed a twelve week old kitten. I will leave out the details. He video taped the incident and bragged about the high he got from it. The most he will serve is 18 months. This had put me into a deep depression but reading your story I see the love you have for your furbabies and it touches me so. You have given them so much love and it means so much to them even if they can't express it. I'm praying for Pawley. I know he'll be just fine because he is loved. Your place looks like mine. I tell my husband our place looks like a kitty daycare. You're my hero for all you do for your indoor and outdoor kitties.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know. The horrors of what people can do... :bawling:

....as to our Pawley. :heart2: He's having an impact, even though all he does is mostly sleep. :rub: He's just such a sweetheart...

Interestingly, even though they're all getting more-than-normal attention (and give everyone attention before Pawley!), most of the kitties are noticeably needier. We're doling out heaps of pets and play!

And I'm wondering about Pawley's presence on the level of energy going on. I expect it's related. But all of the cats - including the four 12 year old cats - are playing more than they have ... since I can remember! :dk:

It's very strange, now that the counter is no longer off-limits, to keep finding furry mice and "rabbit tails" up there! Ming Loy - who doesn't (can't) get up on the counter - is (until now) the only cat that carried toys around in her mouth. I suspect Tuxedo is the culprit. And Billy, who never played with a stationary toy before, has been going nuts with the furry mice! There have been a number of rousing games of chase - and Lazlo has often been the instigator!

So the rest of the kitties play while Pawley catches up on his sleep. :9:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think so. I think some anxiety and uncertainty about the stranger in the cage expresses itself as the play energy. :rub: I think that is also the reason for being needier. :heart2:

Some news on the Pawley front. :) He is grooming after every meal (loves his raw food!), and giving himself baths! :D

His eyes are still a little runny - but they're finally clear and bright. :clap:

He is still mostly sleeping. But we're only one week in to my two week prediction. ;)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Aw...that's so cute! Is it like they are "showing off" for the new guy? 
You know, when we first brought home the 'inherited' cats, we had them isolated in one room.  Hannah, one of the newbies, loved to jump and climb.  She always sat up on a shelf looking out the window of their cat room.  There's a dirt bank behind the cat room so our resident cats could walk down the bank and be almost at eye level with the window where the newbies were looking out.  So only a few days after they got here, Hannah was sitting there, looking out and here came Ozzy, one of our resident cats, trotting up to the window with a dead mouse in his mouth!  He sat right there, just inches away from Hannah on the other side of the screen.  I wasn't sure if he was showing her who was in charge around here or if he was trying to bring her a present!  There was no aggression, so I always choose to think he was being a gentleman and bringing the newbie a gift but.....who knows.....  LOL

That's such great news about Pawley, sounds like he's doing so great in such  short amount of time!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sure there is an electric feel in the house right now with ALL of you and the kitties are feeling a bit of everything. Not bad at all though, just some excitement, nervousness, and heightened awareness of change in the home. All GOOD!!!!!!!!!! I think it is pretty funny all of the commotion going on inside. Kitties are keeping you rather busy, it sounds. :lol3: :lol2: Cute - on the counter toys - and who knows..... Mingle :shocker: :lol2: Probably one of the boys though. :D Lots of busybodies - seems everyone has a new outlook from this exciting new addition. Pawley does sound EXTREMELY dear and sweet - giving off a good energy overall. just.... AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.... :heart3: :heart2: :sun:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like to think Ozzy was bringing her a gift! :rub:

Lauren - yes - and it IS good energy! :heart2:

As of a few days ago, Pawley started grooming after meals - AND giving himself baths! :clap:

As of last night, he plays with toys! Not bonking out all over the crate or anything. But I was playing with a mouse-end on a wand toy with Chumley on the cat tree that is directly across from Pawley's cage. He was on the mat, and on the backswing, he started grabbing at the air! So a I took a furry mouse that rattles, and dangled it for him, and he really enjoyed batting at it. I set it down and flicked it, and he reached out, grabbed it, and started gently tossing it, picking it up, putting it in his mouth, etc. So not moving-around play, but enjoying a toy.

So I got out that .... little cardboard things on the wire? And held it through the cage so it dangled within reach, and he had so much fun batting it around and chomping on the cardboard when he caught it.

Our hearts are just melting. :heart2: