Old buddy getting old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big Boy is okay, considering that he’s “ancient” as the vet said. 17+ years more or less. Urine is good, but he’s lost eight ounces in six months, down to 9 pounds 14 ounces. He’s still eating a lot - his, er, “logs” are almost as big as some of mine!

Had a “torture session” to remove a couple of mats today. Many more to go, alas.

Hope I never need that much help grooming my own self.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww, Big Boy :vibes::heartshape:

I saw you mentioned using olive oil in that other thread that you have going, and he hates it - I missed as to why you're using it?
Assuming you're using clippers (I apologize, I missed that, or have forgotten, too :doh: ) doesn't the oil make his heavy/thick mats gummy in the clipper blades?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Big Boy :vibes::heartshape:

I saw you mentioned using olive oil in that other thread that you have going, and he hates it - I missed as to why you're using it?
Assuming you're using clippers (I apologize, I missed that, or have forgotten, too :doh: ) doesn't the oil make his heavy/thick mats gummy in the clipper blades?
No oil for now. Just clipping away. Doc said to give him some pain med right before a clipping session; that plus some treats before and after makes it more bearable for him, and by extension me.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Got an illustration?
Not quite, but, I use Clabber girl brand because it's inexpensive.
I dip my fingers in the cornstarch, then "rub" it into the mat until the cornstarch is through it. I let it sit a few minutes. I then use a brush to gently break up what I can. I hold the matted area in my fingers of my left hand (I'm right handed), and work outward with the brush (brushing the right side of the mat to the right from the ends out, and the left side of the mat to the left side from the ends out, etc.) Top of the mat to the bottom.
As I said, it's messy. There will be powder scattering on the surface your working on, so I'd suggest laying a towel down beforehand. If a mat is too tight to remove this way, I'll use my clippers. Clipping mats is easier on everyone if they are too tight to be removed comfortably.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not quite, but, I use Clabber girl brand because it's inexpensive.
I dip my fingers in the cornstarch, then "rub" it into the mat until the cornstarch is through it. I let it sit a few minutes. I then use a brush to gently break up what I can. I hold the matted area in my fingers of my left hand (I'm right handed), and work outward with the brush (brushing the right side of the mat to the right from the ends out, and the left side of the mat to the left side from the ends out, etc.) Top of the mat to the bottom.
As I said, it's messy. There will be powder scattering on the surface your working on, so I'd suggest laying a towel down beforehand. If a mat is too tight to remove this way, I'll use my clippers. Clipping mats is easier on everyone if they are too tight to be removed comfortably.
These are Dead Mouse Mats.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are the Dead Mice, over a couple days. Big Boy doesn’t like it, but he’s coming to tolerate it. I suspect I’m getting better at it.

B4CE81D4-E7A0-461B-B70B-5693C8B18058.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WooHoo, you ROCK! Good on you!

He knows that what you're doing is resulting in him feeling better overall :vibes::heartshape:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another one bites the dust.

That’s as big as a mouse. Big Boy appreciated its removal! Nice to keep my old buddy happy.

6C26A34D-E064-4987-A256-E4912E454E00.jpeg