Old buddy getting old

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big Boy, my Maine Coon mix, is starting to get old. He’s getting bony, can’t jump up on things like he used to, and …..

drum roll….

doesn’t pee to mark his territory like he did till about a month ago. He appears to have just quit. Which I’m glad about, at least on the surface.

He’s a late neuter, so he still sprayed, annoyingly. So should I celebrate, or be concerned?

We’ve bonded a bit; two older guys facing our dotage as bravely as we can.

Kindly advise.

0D87E718-A39F-44AF-9BA2-66F9CDFD6333.jpeg
184386F0-127E-41B8-B5CD-0B09F746DC54.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw. does he have trouble jumping b/c of arthritis? B/c there is this new drug for it everyone on TCS has been raving about called Solensia.
Don’t think so.

Much more concerned with urinary tract problems if any.

But thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Much more concerned with urinary tract problems if any.
Try something here, and tall water glasses filled to the brim, that sort of thing.
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

He’s getting bony,
Be sure you're giving him food that's easy to digest and has lots of calories. Forza10, Weruva, Fancy Feast Kitten et al. If you need to, help keep the caloric intake going with some hand feeding. It's what helped to keep my Poppycat from having that "skinny old cat" thing occur, even though he had a lot of inner issues going on. I just wasn't going to let that happen to him.

For the jumping issues;
We used boxes weighted down with books and covered with towels and wrapped in fabric to make them comfy and look nice. Very inexpensive.
And, of course a wellness check. If his pee clumps are basically the same, it could be that along with the inability to jump, he's less able to lift his tail/back end to do the deed of spraying. As mentioned, you could look into products such as Liquid Vet hip and joint. I used that one and my angel boy was still able to jump up on beds and chairs.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try something here, and tall water glasses filled to the brim, that sort of thing.
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

Be sure you're giving him food that's easy to digest and has lots of calories. Forza10, Weruva, Fancy Feast Kitten et al. If you need to, help keep the caloric intake going with some hand feeding. It's what helped to keep my Poppycat from having that "skinny old cat" thing occur, even though he had a lot of inner issues going on. I just wasn't going to let that happen to him.

For the jumping issues;

And, of course a wellness check. If his pee clumps are basically the same, it could be that along with the inability to jump, he's less able to lift his tail/back end to do the deed of spraying. As mentioned, you could look into products such as Liquid Vet hip and joint. I used that one and my angel boy was still able to jump up on beds and chairs.
Thanks for your knowledgeable reply. I've been giving him canned cat food for a while in the evening. He can also nibble if he chooses on kibble during the day. I also give him Greenies treats for the teeth (Kitty Cat Crack!).

How do you use Liquid Vet Hip and Joint? Just add it to his food?

We'd had a marathon of vet trips a bit ago because Big Boy had mites in his ears that took a while to get rid of. Won't hurt to haul him in again though he'll hate it (he bolts when he sees the carrier and I close the door to the bedroom to close him in, LOL) and my wallet will moan again, too.

I'll also make it a point to give him extra water. He sleeps on the bed with me, and tries to drink from my water . . . .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do you use Liquid Vet Hip and Joint? Just add it to his food?
yes, which I looked at as a plus. Additionally it's a pretty "clean" product without a lot of un-necessary extras added to it, and it has all three important ingredients for joint support; Glucosamine Sulfate, MSM, and Chondroitin.

This describes things a little more regarding the individual supplements;
Dietary Supplements For Arthritis Pain Relief

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, which I looked at as a plus. Additionally it's a pretty "clean" product without a lot of un-necessary extras added to it, and it has all three important ingredients for joint support; Glucosamine Sulfate, MSM, and Chondroitin.

This describes things a little more regarding the individual supplements;
Dietary Supplements For Arthritis Pain Relief
Any harm in using it if it turns out he doesn't have the Big A?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW my old buddy is getting old too. Seems OK, just a little slower, bonier in places. I think it’s about slowing time down, taking it all on his level, appreciating the little things. Does your guy have a window to look out of? Just having conversation feel important…sometimes I feel like he wants to be touched a little less, or on his terms. Anyway just wanted to say I understand where you’re coming from with this particular thread…this is where we get to say, over and over, just how much they mean to us, make sure that they know.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW my old buddy is getting old too. Seems OK, just a little slower, bonier in places. I think it’s about slowing time down, taking it all on his level, appreciating the little things. Does your guy have a window to look out of? Just having conversation feel important…sometimes I feel like he wants to be touched a little less, or on his terms. Anyway just wanted to say I understand where you’re coming from with this particular thread…this is where we get to say, over and over, just how much they mean to us, make sure that they know.
Here he is with Conan by the bedroom window.

52773141-D01C-48F5-9362-7531F8864BEE.jpeg

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big Boy is apparently feeling a good bit better, and he hasn't gone back to peeing again, so far. He loves the joint support treats and wolfs them down with abandon (no one in the 'hood has Liquid Vet, but gonna try that too).

Will set up a vet visit as a wellness check, but it doesn't appear urgent, at least not so far. Now that it's getting cold (for here) he sits right by me all night, instead of laying on his favorite furniture/window ledge a few feet away.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Merry Xmas shoutout to Big Boy! …Zorro made it to another Xmas; we’re both appreciative.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are things?
I would second the question…how’s Big Boy? Mine is glommed onto me, like I’m some kinda life raft. Not sure how much longer I can hold this position.
Everyone gets old including me! keep your chin up and give them all the love you can thats what I say :)
Merry Xmas shoutout to Big Boy! …Zorro made it to another Xmas; we’re both appreciative.
Happy New Year to Big Boy, doomsdave doomsdave :beerchug::celebrate::party3:
Aw, thanks so much!

Here he is on New Year’s Eve eve.
4CFED7BB-7E75-401B-91D1-572BDA7B0D11.jpeg