Old buddy getting old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's support! He's bonded to me pretty tightly, especially now that I'm working from home. He stays in one place pretty much all day, except to eat and go poopy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Is he food motivated enough that he might follow you around the room if you hold his food dish/bowl, and then gradually farther so he is getting a little exercise :)?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he food motivated enough that he might follow you around the room if you hold his food dish/bowl, and then gradually farther so he is getting a little exercise :)?
I’ve tried to bribe him out of his shyness with canned food, but I think he’s just a bit of a scaredy cat, way he is. Still my buddy.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big Boy doing OK?
Yes, he is! Thanks for asking.

He's on a couple of meds, one for bladder and one for joints, but the vet said the urine test was great, no crystals. And, he's jumping up on things. Maybe not a grand gymnast, but able to get into bed and up onto his favorite windowsill.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update on Big Boy, and age is continuing to take its toll, alas.

He's getting bonier, and last week he pooped on my bed, even though I'd left the bedroom door open. EEEWWWW!

So, I keep him out of the bedroom till it's dark and time to go to bed.

As for the pooping, not sure if it's his crazy way of saying he loves me, or he's just too tired to go all across the house to the boxes, or maybe a bit of both. He is peeing in unwelcome places, though not quite the torrent as before.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise

He's getting bonier, and last week he pooped on my bed, even though I'd left the bedroom door open. EEEWWWW!

As for the pooping, not sure if it's his crazy way of saying he loves me, or he's just too tired to go all across the house to the boxes, or maybe a bit of both. He is peeing in unwelcome places, though not quite the torrent as before.
Awww…sorry to hear. Just before I read this, was looking at Zorro who also seems a we bit more bony of late. I have more than one litter box for him, in different locations, which he seems to like, don’t know if that would help your situation. When was his last checkup?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww…sorry to hear. Just before I read this, was looking at Zorro who also seems a we bit more bony of late. I have more than one litter box for him, in different locations, which he seems to like, don’t know if that would help your situation. When was his last checkup?
A couple three months ago.

I’m thinking another litter box too.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A couple three months ago.

I’m thinking another litter box too.
Levi did this a few times (he was an older guy, too). I switched litters, and he was happier. Levi had long hair, and I don't think he liked having the pieces of clumping litter stuck to his paws (he would shake his feet off immediately after exiting the box, and rarely covered his poop). I switched to Yesterdays News for him, and he was much happier as it didn't seem to get into his paws.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise

I can’t recall, you may have said: does BB have a nice window out of which to see something? sometimes even if you don’t have the pep to wander, it’s nice to see the world going by.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t recall, you may have said: does BB have a nice window out of which to see something? sometimes even if you don’t have the pep to wander, it’s nice to see the world going by.
He has a favorite ledge he likes to sit on.

Lately he’s also more inclined to sit in my lap than he used to be.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
How is he with eating? Is he finicky or can you provide him with extras like pieces of boiled unseasoned chicken, and high calorie/protein food such as fancy feast kitten food?

Is the ledge wide enough to put a folded towel on to cushion him?

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is he with eating? Is he finicky or can you provide him with extras like pieces of boiled unseasoned chicken, and high calorie/protein food such as fancy feast kitten food?

Is the ledge wide enough to put a folded towel on to cushion him?
He LOVES Fancy Feast!

He and I both thank you for the suggestion!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a beauty, with such a long body and spine to keep happy.

I'd definitely put a litter box either in the bedroom or close to it. And, I would get steps for him to use to get in and out of bed. It may not seem like much to you, but that jump/climb might make it hard to get up and go to the box with the thought of climbing back up in bed in mind. Think of it like going up five flights of stairs to take a nap.